Walk behind Leaf Vacuum

alex3610

Established Member
Anyone here own or use a walk behind leaf vacuum? Leaves are coming down and the beginning of my annual fall nightmare are here. I've been really thinking about buying a machine to handle the work this year. Are they worth the money? Before anyone suggests a tow behind that attaches to a lawn tractor, I don't have a tractor because my yard is just too tight for one and a trailer behind it would make it that much worse. So I am pretty much relegated to something that is walk behind like a billy-goat vac.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why not rent one? Especially if you're only going to use it once when all the leave have fallen. This way you'll have (hopefully) a commercial quality leaf blower vs. consumer grade.

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
I get more than my share of leaves living on a wooded lot and I've tried blowing, bagging and raking. I find it easier to just mulch the damned things. Is it that tight that you can't maneuver a smaller riding tractor?

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Dont remind me, i rake leaves about 5+ times and usually fill about 30+ bags the big ones each time.
Sucks ass with a straw

It makes it easier to drink while doing it

raustin0017

Established Member
I use a leaf blower....then suck the leafs up with the attachment that sort of chews them up. Only take 1...maybe 2 to do the whole yard. Think I paid $40 for the blower.

mnewxcv

Established Member
I use my mower with the bag on it to mulch them. you end up with way less bags this way, and you dont have to touch a rake.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I blow them into giant piles and rake the piles onto old bed sheets then drag the leaves to the curb. The town has fall leaf pick up, they come by with there giant leaf vac and suck them all up.

RFMustangGT

Established Member
Just mulch the leaves with your mower. It will add good organic material to your lawn and by spring you will have healthier soil. The small leaf pieces will give food for beneficial microbes and worms which will also be good for soil and lawn. To give an extra boost fertilize with with a blend that's higher in nitrogen. These two things will help give your lawn a good boost when spring comes around when your grass needs energy to get growing.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Just mulch the leaves with your mower. It will add good organic material to your lawn and by spring you will have healthier soil. The small leaf pieces will give food for beneficial microbes and worms which will also be good for soil and lawn. To give an extra boost fertilize with with a blend that's higher in nitrogen. These two things will help give your lawn a good boost when spring comes around when your grass needs energy to get growing.

This.

CM5878

Established Member
The problem with this is the lawn looks like crap for months, during the winter because of the mulch all over the place.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
rakes-3-470-1008_zpsf5b9dd87.jpg

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I recently rented a walk behind bush hog for a day to clear out some heavy brush out back. I would absolutely go back to that place to rent something like this.

You really get great equipment for a one-off useage.

Or, pay some neighborhood kids to do it, it's what I do.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The biggest problem with muching is if you continue to do it you add soil at the rate of roughly 1" every 8 years.
Hence you see some peoples lawn well above the sidewalk or driveway.

It also creates a thick grass mat depending on grass type which leads to ruts and/or sinking and scalping if cut with a heavy machine.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
just mulch the leaves with your mower. It will add good organic material to your lawn and by spring you will have healthier soil. The small leaf pieces will give food for beneficial microbes and worms which will also be good for soil and lawn. To give an extra boost fertilize with with a blend that's higher in nitrogen. These two things will help give your lawn a good boost when spring comes around when your grass needs energy to get growing.

+1 It also helps our lawn retain moisture. We have very sandy subsoil.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I have a friend who has a large walk behind blower (hp = success). He complains about the inability to control the direction of the blown leaves and the need to rake the edges before using the blower. They seem to be great if you have a large open area.

What I use is a Stihl backpack blower (their largest). I can move large piles with ease and it is very maneuverable for tight areas. :thumbsup:

I live in a heavily wooded area and a vacuum would not work with the thick matted leaves, plus I would be constantly emptying the bag.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread