Want a Cobra really but, Mach 1 looking nicer...

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
Both are great cars!!!! The cobra will actually be cheaper to mod per hp!!! I love both but,....PLEASE!!!!! GET WHAT YOU AND YOUR WIFE WANT TOGETHER!!!! Me myself would get the COBRA!!!

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
I love the Mach but always wanted aCobra its like going to Burger King with an appetite for a whopper and getting a A Whopper JR and believe me you will always wonder what aCobra will be like!!!! besides if the shaker is the thing you can add one to the Cobra!!

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
booricua said:
I love the Mach but always wanted aCobra its like going to Burger King with an appetite for a whopper and getting a A Whopper JR and believe me you will always wonder what aCobra will be like!!!! besides if the shaker is the thing you can add one to the Cobra!!
I'd say it's more like getting the whopper and not supersizing. :p

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Id be willing to bet this Mach will take out plenty of Cobras. Power dont mean shiat if you cant put it to the ground, and the IRS doesnt do a very efficient job. And I know for a fact that 450 IS NOT the limit for a blown Mach. You have to be careful, but thats not the limit. :burnout:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
To put an alternative view here...

I was planning to buy a new Terminator last year, the day before I went out to buy one, I hopped online in anticipation and did a little more digging for research.
In surfing I came across an article that compared the Cobra to the Mach. I loved the Mach, and changed gears, doing more research on the Mach.
I remember the exact moment I came across the Mach and read what was written about it. I was smiten and the first words out my mouth was,"Bad ass!"
I knew what the Cobra was about, and I still respect that, but I have no regrets in buying my Mach... even if the price tags had been the same. I wanted a hot rod, and thats what I bought.
I full well know the potential of the Cobra, but I am not detered in the least. I also know the Mach can be built to my hearts desire, and I know that in the end, I will be the limiting factor to how big and bad I make it, not the car itself, and not my pocket. I know what I want out of my car, and thats what I will get.
In the end, it will still be an R-coded Mach 1, and it will be even more the kick-ass hotrod I am after!

A bad ass Mach pushing 600+ to the wheels sitting on big, fat, old style mags and humming a sweet little tune while it shimmies and lopes in anticipation is SWEETER than any Cobra in my book.
But thats just me... we all can have what we want.

ONEbadmachONE

Redirect NOS to air vent!
Established Member
MACH 1, I love my mach and would never go back. I considered cobras as well and decided on the mach because of the cool factor. It definately gets ALOT of looks. It may not have 400rwhp but it has a crapload of power and the styling is unbelievable. The shaker is so much fun to watch as you rev it up, or just rollin down the road. The cobras just look like a GT to the untrained eye except for the snake badges. I have had so many people walk past my car and go HOLY CRAP that has a shaker hood scoop!!!! Thats worth a ton to me. I think that it will definately be more collectible in the long run do the extremely limited production. I have 1 of 94 in my color/year combo. How many cobras are there in a specific year/color combo? Alot I think.;)
Plus the exhaust they put on the machs is awesome, nobody ever believes me that it is stock exhaust. you also get the live axle which is worlds better than the irs for launching and with the mach specific suspension it handles really good. Just my $.02

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I have 1 of 94 in my color/year combo. How many cobras are there in a specific year/color combo? Alot I think.;)
I don't see how that will have anything to do with anything. I think the Mach will become a classic in 30 years, yes, but I don't think it will matter for color or number.

and with the mach specific suspension it handles really good.
Which is worse than any Cobra.

MACH 1, I love my mach and would never go back. I considered cobras as well and decided on the mach because of the cool factor. It definately gets ALOT of looks. It may not have 400rwhp but it has a crapload of power and the styling is unbelievable. The shaker is so much fun to watch as you rev it up, or just rollin down the road. The cobras just look like a GT to the untrained eye except for the snake badges. I have had so many people walk past my car and go HOLY CRAP that has a shaker hood scoop!!!! Thats worth a ton to me.
This I can agree with. Although it truely shouldn't matter what someone else thinks of your car, the truth is... cars are often a nice way for people to get attention. And people who like to cruise and hotrod around like to grab attention.
I can honestly assume that less than 1% of the population could choose a Cobra from a line up of Mustangs(short of badging)... to most its just a few different panels. Even the S/C, I know very few people who know what a S/C is... I have even had a passenger tell me,"He better get that fixed" while a S/C stang passed me. That doesn't take away from the car, no, but along your point... yes, the Cobra is not well recieved by most.
The Mach is a real looker, young kids and bikers seem to be the biggest crowd. But I usually have had people of all ages checking it out, cops, woman, old men. I drive through main street in the city every day to work and I always, always have heads turning all the way down the strip. I've been approached at gas stations, drive throughs, parking lots, convenience corners. Hehe.
I suppose I get bad reception sometimes. I had a little girl the other day cover her ears when I drove by... and some old lady flipped me off on RT20 because she was talking on her cell phone and likely couldn't hear.
Hmmm... makes me think now... good way to get people on a cell phone. Drop into 2nd gear and drive near them to piss them off!

SinceNine19

Established Member
You have a...svt I think "iamchris"? hah I couldn't tell...sorry!

anyone have that article or know where it is that shows the mach vs. the cobras??? that'd be VERY helpful. I keep falling back in love with the Mach, but in my heart I want a SVT. Maybe I should give the mach a chance...if I don't like it, give it to my fiance' in a year or two and buy a NEW cobra. That could be fun. Mustang Family hehe

Fosters

Established Member
booricua said:

amen... although i wouldn't put a shaker onto a cobra.

i wanted a cobra, still want one, but until i either get married or turn 25, no matter how much money i make, the insurance isn't gonna make it worth living on taco bell... damn arizona and their insurance rates :(

the mach1 does turn heads though.. and for some reason it has a reputation of being really fast... mine's barely in the 12s and it feels dog slow to me. then again, a blown viper would feel slow after a week of daily driver duty :p

Sapperstang

Established Member
If I could of afforded the Cobra I would of got it instead. Still feel that way to this day. Hopefully I can afford the next cobra in a few years.

ZyX2323

Established Member
Personally I love the Comp Orange 2004 Mach 1 the best of any of the 99-04 Stangs, And will be the next 99-04 Mustang I will buy... Thou Twin Turbo'ing it would make it awesome...

ZyX2323

psucobra

Established Member
I was at the local drag race scene the other day and I was suprised at how many people thought that a Mach 1 is faster than a Cobra. When I got to the drags I spotted a yellow Mach with temporary tags on it, so i was excited because i have been wanting to run one that is completely stock vs. my completely stock cobra. My friend finds the owner and asks him if he wants to run and hes like sure. So we're in the staging lanes and he has his window down and we're talking. He is riding by himself and I have one of my friends riding shot gun (a big friend, im guessing about 270lbs). He tells me his Mach is completely stock down to the paper filter and silencer and I was like cool, cuz so is my '04. His car had 11K miles and mine has 8K miles. So as we're waiting in line im not kidding you, no less than 5-6 people came up to his window and were like "your going to kill him, you'll beat him easy", blah blah blah. The guy seemed pretty confident also, so my friends looks over and hes like "do these dudes know ur s/c'd?" Im like, "iunno"?

We get ready to stage and he does this John Force burn out and I just roll up to the line and stage. He stages. I cut a good light launch at about 1,500 rpm slipping the clutch a little and never looking back. Not exactly a good run but I beat him by about 3-4 cars. So we're comming down the return road and we come to a stop. He jumps out and comes up to my window and he's all like "Do you want to run again? I missed second." Im like "ok". This time my friend jumps out and im running solo. We get back in line and this dude comes up to the Mach guyz window and says "you missed second huh? You'll get him this time." And the Mach guy is like "Yeah he got out on me when i missed second and he just stayed there the whole time" So by this point Im starting to get a little pissed cuz the dudes are kinda disrespecting me and my ride.

But anyway its staging time again. I roll up, no burn out. He does a much shorter burn out this time instead of the all out John Force style. lights come down and again I cut a good light, by 60' I have 3/4 of a car on him and from there it was lights out. I had one of my best runs of the night beating him by and Im not kidding you 5-6 cars this time. Needless to say i was very pleased. Later on I ran into the guy in the pits and he was all like "That was a good run, If i had full exhaust a chip and intake it would have been a lot closer" So im like "yeah" but im thinking "yeah and if i had a million dollars i'd be a millionaire" But anyways it was fun. My next challange is to run a bone stock '05 GTO.

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
ONEbadmachONE said:
The cobras just look like a GT to the untrained eye except for the snake badges.

That is completely wrong. The Cobra has more model specific panels than a Mach 1. They have Cobra specific hood, front and rear bumper, mirrors and spoiler. It looks nothing like a GT. The panels make it appear lower and wider.

The Mach 1 has a different hood and the chin spoiler (and the black GT spoiler), thats it. Everything else is shared with the GT and V6. But the hood and shaker are worth the price alone. However, I like the looks of the Mach 1 better. It looks nasty from the front. Not to mention I would rather have N/A power over FI.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
That is completely wrong. The Cobra has more model specific panels than a Mach 1. They have Cobra specific hood, front and rear bumper, mirrors and spoiler. It looks nothing like a GT. The panels make it appear lower and wider.

The Mach 1 has a different hood and the chin spoiler (and the black GT spoiler), thats it. Everything else is shared with the GT and V6. But the hood and shaker are worth the price alone. However, I like the looks of the Mach 1 better. It looks nasty from the front. Not to mention I would rather have N/A power over FI.
Picture524.gif

lets compare, mach has specific hood with shaker, rear pillar has curve to match body line, cobra is identical to GT. Cobra does have hood, front and rear bumper and spoiler specific, but all the rest are exact as stock GT, but remove the dressing on all stangs for example hood front and rear bumpers and rear spoiler and of course emblems and you couldn't tell a one of them apart except the rear pillar of the Mach.
The real difference comes inside the ****pits for Mach and cobra and of course the engines and driving, supercharged monster or N/A creature, the Cobra is faster is was made to be but imo the Mach just feels cooler, seeing that shaker move especially on hard 1st to 2nd gear shifts hard in the accelerator, oh yea the feel of the round billet knob and the comfortable supportive seats, but yes the Cobras are the same but Machs are all leather :poke:

Now of course deciding between the two is all a matter of opinion and taste,
cobra is a speed demon and a track terror but the Mach is just shek and sexy

Users who are viewing this thread