Want a Cobra really but, Mach 1 looking nicer...

SinceNine19

Established Member
I've been researching these cars for a while now and just starting to like the styling and interior a LOT more than the SVT's. I know these cars aren't made for nice interior or looks considering these are performance oriented vehicles of course however, I drove a SVT a few weeks ago and loved it. The sound and power at the hands is amazing, but I just wasn't impressed by the interior, and neither was my fiance' haha.

To the regards of power/motor. Cobra by far is a monster, however I'm thinking with 390 blown hp at my hands and trying to get a decently fast automobile to just enjoy and "lightly" mod...I may lose control with a SVT and dump all my funds into her hahaha. The SVT motor though having forged internals and stuff does seem a bit more of a commodity to have. The Mach 1's I'm starting to fall in love with though. Decent power at my hands, enjoyable styling and ability to mod lightly, be fast and not dump tons of cash into her.

What you guys think, did you guys want SVT's originally like me? Haha. How easy is it to lightly modify Mach 1's and get them going into low 12's? This will be a daily-driver too, so I mean it's gotta be fast and last hehe.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
All kinds of Mach1 info at the Mach1 Registry. Plenty of tech info to look over. Low 12's aren't as easy to see as it is for the snakes, but very doable :thumbsup:

If you just want a car that's easy and cheap to mod, not to mention nearly bulletproof to begin with, the 03/04 Cobra would be a better choice... and buying a Mach isn't going to save you from the mod bug either. :) There are some differences between the Mach1 and Cobra interior, but they're both Mustangs... so if you didn't like the snake's, I don't know if you'd feel any different about the Mach's (I do like the Mach1 seats MUCH better though). The only way to really tell would be to find one and give her a spin.

Personally, the Lightning is the only SVT ever made that I just HAD to have. I did consider getting an 03 Cobra a couple of years ago, but once I saw and drove the Mach1... well, heh heh... see sig ;-) (The '69 Mach1 is/was my favorite 'stang, so I was blown away that Ford brought it back and it wasn't just a sticker package.)

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Just a few bolton's in a mach will net you 12's with sticky tires. Theres nothing like n/a power...

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Its all a matter of opinion, the blower and the motor of a cobra is far superior than a Mach but just like you said I think a Mach looks better and the interior is nicer but all opinion. So if your like me I was looking for a simple street car, nothing too fast but quick and fun to drive not to mention love the attention I get from a Mach BUT I do sometimes wish I had an 03/04 Cobra because the mod bugs bites and with a Mach you have to get into the motor to get the kind of performance gains you can get out of Cobra good luck with whatever you buy both great cars just have some big differences.

67bigblock

Established Member
The aesthetic was the issue. I couldnt see spending more money for a car that did not look as nice. Its not like the power isnt there in the Mach. Anyway,...I just could not pass on the SHAKER,...but thats me.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
The Cobra is the SVT Mustang, quite literally the KING Mustang. It was designed to be the ultimate performance option for the corral.
The Mach on the other hand is a heritage option, it is a trademark of American muscle.
It is not the king, and doesn't want to be, it is simply the option for those who have a heart for it.
The Mach tends to run really strong for the first 1/8th mile, the Cobra tends to run a hell of alot stronger in the last 1/8th mile.
The Mach is a few hundred pounds lighter, lighter in the front end (weight transfer), has a solid axle, and has more agressive gearing through 1st and 2nd gear.

If you are looking for an all out performance car, go ahead and buy the Cobra, I doubt you will regret it. If you like the Mach for what it is, go ahead and buy the Mach. If you are true to yourself, you won't regret it... but if your trying to save money, you'll end up spending more money...
And please, I don't want to see another Mach in the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate it.

Fosters

Established Member
if money is no object, get the cobra. the mach is like the shareware version of the cobra. you can taste it but it's not quite the real deal...

I'll get one as soon as i turn 25 and can afford the insurance on the damn things... :p

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Iamchris said:
The Cobra is the SVT Mustang, quite literally the KING Mustang. It was designed to be the ultimate performance option for the corral.
The Mach on the other hand is a heritage option, it is a trademark of American muscle.
It is not the king, and doesn't want to be, it is simply the option for those who have a heart for it.
The Mach tends to run really strong for the first 1/8th mile, the Cobra tends to run a hell of alot stronger in the last 1/8th mile.
The Mach is a few hundred pounds lighter, lighter in the front end (weight transfer), has a solid axle, and has more agressive gearing through 1st and 2nd gear.

If you are looking for an all out performance car, go ahead and buy the Cobra, I doubt you will regret it. If you like the Mach for what it is, go ahead and buy the Mach. If you are true to yourself, you won't regret it... but if your trying to save money, you'll end up spending more money...
And please, I don't want to see another Mach in the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate it.

Wise words especially the last part. Some people just dont deserve nice things

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The interior is better? The interior is the same. About the only real difference is the seats.

I would also rather have a Mach 1 then an 03/4 Cobra but the only thing I don't like in the Mach's is the seats. I think they are hideous. There's a reason they don't have comfort weave anymore :xpl:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I think they are hideous. There's a reason they don't have comfort weave anymore
Hehe, lol. Funny and true. I do love my seats though, cause I see the old ones in them... and the silver stripe is pretty :) I particularly like the looks of the rear seats... too bad they are too heavy... gotta rip 'em out.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
You really can't go wrong with either. I had an 03 Torch Red 5 speed Mach 1. I loved the style and power of the Mach, but I sold it and bought my Terminator. The Cobra is an all out better performer. It out accelerates and out handles it. I loved the shaker of the Mach 1, but I also love the supercharger of the Cobra. The S/C whine is music to the ears. The Cobra responds better to mods. These cars are underated from Ford at 390 hp. They really put out about 425+ hp stock. A CAI and catback exhaust will easily get you 400+rwhp. As far as the interiors, I will agree that the Mach has the nicer looking interior than the standard Cobra. But, I think that my black with red inserts 10th anniversary interior is by far classier and more stylish than that of the Mach 1s. ;-)

Charles236

Established Member
I liked the power of the Cobra, but the styling of the Mach 1 made the choice easy for me. The Mach 1's shaker hood is unique, and the rest of the car has enough differences to set it apart from other Mustangs. Don't think that you will escape the modification bug by buying the Mach 1, mine was stock less than 2 weeks.

03 red vert

Well, I have an 03 Cobra (red/convertible) and my brother has an 03 Mach 1 (blue). We go round and round about the cars.

My brother picked the Mach 1 due to lower insurance rates and looks. I picked the Cobra due to looks, power and the convertible option.

From what I have seen, the Mach 1 is a strong runner, especially after a 4.10 -4.30 gear, K/N filter, catback, tune and some drag radials.

Dave

SinceNine19

Established Member
I know I won't escape it in the longrun, but a few bolt on's here and there can't hurt anything :)

I just want a car I'll be happy with closer to stockthan my car now. Since putting it back to stock currently, my SRT is slowwwww. I feel wierd for even wanting a Mach I or mustang now, because I used to run down Mach 1's like they were standing still lol.

SinceNine19

Established Member
Then what about blowing the stock motor of the Mach I? Cobra has forged internals making it much nicer but...I saw a Vortech'd Mach on here post, how's that for looks and power heh?

Fosters

Established Member
BoysNightOut said:
Then what about blowing the stock motor of the Mach I? Cobra has forged internals making it much nicer but...I saw a Vortech'd Mach on here post, how's that for looks and power heh?

a blown mach will top out at whatever power level a cobra starts at with basic boltons... 450hp.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Fosters said:
a blown mach will top out at whatever power level a cobra starts at with basic boltons... 450hp.

Yea, 450hp is about where it ends. Dump less the $1000 of "basic bolt-ons" into the Cobra and your past that. For the cost of adding a blower on the Mach you would be making 600 hp in the Cobra. The Cobra is already set-up for a supercharger, has forged internals, 6 speed, IRS and the motor is hand built. There is a mystique to diving the Cobra that will put at grin on your face everytime you turn the key.The Mach is a nice looking car, has a trick engine, shaker hood and makes good power, but If you wanna go real fast get a Cobra :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread