Want a Cobra really but, Mach 1 looking nicer...

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
That is completely wrong. The Cobra has more model specific panels than a Mach 1. They have Cobra specific hood, front and rear bumper, mirrors and spoiler. It looks nothing like a GT. The panels make it appear lower and wider.
The number of different panels mean little when the changes are so subtle. In my opinion, the Cobra has a conservative appearance, even more than the GT or V6.

The cobra doesn't so much look like a GT, but rather is looks less than a GT. It doesn't stand out and look different, instead its visual difference is in what it does not have.

Again, I don't mean that in panels, but rather from the spectators point of view.

The Mach has always been styled agressively, from its original debut in 1969 onward. It was the first true muscle mustang, and Ford's response to the muscle car wars.

The Mach's usually stand out with contrasting colors and bold black accents that give a very agressive, race-like presence. The black deck spoiler,black chin spoiler, black stripes, and shaker are throwbacks to the original Machs.
Additionally the flared out rockers match well with the conveniently scoop styled bumper also accented by the chin spoiler give the Mach a flared and broad appearance.
The C-panels are different too, they are scoop like and not sloped like the GT/Terminator.

psucobra

Established Member
The rocker panels are also different on the cobra. Some of us prefer the more subltle muscular appearance of the Cobra. I think Teddy Roosevelt said it best when he said, Walk Softly And Carry a Big Stick............

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
:??: I don't think I've ever mistaken an 03/04 Cobra for a V6 or GT. A lot of people tend to confuse a black Mach1 with a GT though... briefly... and according to a lot of guys at the Registry, the 03 Mach1's often get mistaken for a V6 because of the tri-bar pony fender emblems. :D

I DO like the rear bumper cover of the 03/04 Cobra better than the Mach's shark teeth. It just looks so much more menacing with wide tires than the Mach does. The only 2 visual things I don't like about the Cobra (as much as the Mach's) are the side rear window curves and the hood.

Last edited:

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
grimreefer said:
:??: I don't think I've ever mistaken an 03/04 Cobra for a V6 or GT. A lot of people tend to confuse a black Mach1 with a GT though... briefly... and according to a lot of guys at the Registry, the 03 Mach1's often get mistaken for a V6 because of the tri-bar pony fender emblems. :D

I DO like the rear bumper cover of the 03/04 Cobra better than the Mach's shark teeth. It just looks so much more menacing with wide tires than the Mach does. The only 2 visual things I don't like about the Cobra are the rear window curve and the hood.

I actually had someone think I had a v6, lol sure I do. I like that sleeper effect but the aggressive look combined
I am actually thinking about changing the bumper to the 03/04 cobra and filling in the letters, those bumpers look muscular

STKMACH04

psucobra said:
I was at the local drag race scene the other day and I was suprised at how many people thought that a Mach 1 is faster than a Cobra. When I got to the drags I spotted a yellow Mach with temporary tags on it, so i was excited because i have been wanting to run one that is completely stock vs. my completely stock cobra. My friend finds the owner and asks him if he wants to run and hes like sure. So we're in the staging lanes and he has his window down and we're talking. He is riding by himself and I have one of my friends riding shot gun (a big friend, im guessing about 270lbs). He tells me his Mach is completely stock down to the paper filter and silencer and I was like cool, cuz so is my '04. His car had 11K miles and mine has 8K miles. So as we're waiting in line im not kidding you, no less than 5-6 people came up to his window and were like "your going to kill him, you'll beat him easy", blah blah blah. The guy seemed pretty confident also, so my friends looks over and hes like "do these dudes know ur s/c'd?" Im like, "iunno"?

We get ready to stage and he does this John Force burn out and I just roll up to the line and stage. He stages. I cut a good light launch at about 1,500 rpm slipping the clutch a little and never looking back. Not exactly a good run but I beat him by about 3-4 cars. So we're comming down the return road and we come to a stop. He jumps out and comes up to my window and he's all like "Do you want to run again? I missed second." Im like "ok". This time my friend jumps out and im running solo. We get back in line and this dude comes up to the Mach guyz window and says "you missed second huh? You'll get him this time." And the Mach guy is like "Yeah he got out on me when i missed second and he just stayed there the whole time" So by this point Im starting to get a little pissed cuz the dudes are kinda disrespecting me and my ride.

But anyway its staging time again. I roll up, no burn out. He does a much shorter burn out this time instead of the all out John Force style. lights come down and again I cut a good light, by 60' I have 3/4 of a car on him and from there it was lights out. I had one of my best runs of the night beating him by and Im not kidding you 5-6 cars this time. Needless to say i was very pleased. Later on I ran into the guy in the pits and he was all like "That was a good run, If i had full exhaust a chip and intake it would have been a lot closer" So im like "yeah" but im thinking "yeah and if i had a million dollars i'd be a millionaire" But anyways it was fun. My next challange is to run a bone stock '05 GTO.
You will win that one also

SinceNine19

Established Member
more than likely yes, being as GTO's make good power but are way too heavy. There was an 03-04 GTO or whatever year with the LS2 350hp motor at the track, couldn't break 13's...he was launching good too, oops hah

Blackie

When I heard that Ford was going to release a new Mach 1 complete with shaker scoop and other retro touches...I was sold.
Cobras are awsome machines, but I love the old school muscle cars and having a new Mach 1 was something I could not pass up.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
You all must be seeing stuff. The Mach looks very similar to a GT to someone who doesn't know mustans. The GT hood scoop and the Mach 1 shaker look similar from a distance, the front bumper is the same, the side skirts and spoiler are the same. They look very similar. No one notices the different c-pillar except hardcore mustang people. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Mach. As I have said before, if I were looking to get a different car the Mach would be it. But there's no denying the fact that the Cobra does not look like a GT.

umachme

°Mach Speed°
Established Member
BoysNightOut said:
I know I won't escape it in the longrun, but a few bolt on's here and there can't hurt anything :)

I just want a car I'll be happy with closer to stockthan my car now. Since putting it back to stock currently, my SRT is slowwwww. I feel wierd for even wanting a Mach I or mustang now, because I used to run down Mach 1's like they were standing still lol.

I would have loved to see that in stock trim... I don't seem to have that problem.. :rollseyes

umachme

°Mach Speed°
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Yea, 450hp is about where it ends. Dump less the $1000 of "basic bolt-ons" into the Cobra and your past that. For the cost of adding a blower on the Mach you would be making 600 hp in the Cobra. The Cobra is already set-up for a supercharger, has forged internals, 6 speed, IRS and the motor is hand built. There is a mystique to diving the Cobra that will put at grin on your face everytime you turn the key.The Mach is a nice looking car, has a trick engine, shaker hood and makes good power, but If you wanna go real fast get a Cobra :pepper:

'04 5-speeds have forged cranks, not sure about the rest...Hand built is very nice, but there was a 10k difference in price when I got mine... I can do a lot with 10k ;-)

umachme

°Mach Speed°
Established Member
HotRodK said:
Id be willing to bet this Mach will take out plenty of Cobras. Power dont mean shiat if you cant put it to the ground, and the IRS doesnt do a very efficient job. And I know for a fact that 450 IS NOT the limit for a blown Mach. You have to be careful, but thats not the limit. :burnout:

This is true! On the street I have not seen much of a difference when I line up with a snake.... but on the track, thats another world for my stocker.. The Cobra is the king!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
All 4v's have forged cranks except the auto Mach 1's. The manual Mach 1's use the Cobra crank that has been used since 96. This crank is good for around 1000hp. The rods and pistons quit long before that though.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Like I said earlier, I think stock to stock, the Mach is a better street car, from down low or a dig ...with a limited top end room.
The Mach takes advantage of being a drag car in this sense, a street performer. It's solid axle, steeper 1st & 2nd, lighter weight, high torque(lower than cobra though).

The truth of the matter is, based off of simple math, the Mach has an advantage through 1st gear and a slight edge through 2nd gear. After 3rd gear kicks in, the Cobra will turn the tables and pull a slight advantage... after 3rd, the Mach hasn't got a prayer in the world... stock for stock.
Thats against a Cobra coupe, and its just math. The ultimate test is action.
My personal experiences have shown this to be true... but thats just me.

From a dig to about 60 I pulled a cobra repeatedly. From a dig to 80 with a different Cobra, he was right on my side and pulling up as I shut it down... no I wasn't afraid to lose. I usually shut down before 90.

I don't know what either had for mods. I was bone stock except for a drop in filter for the first, and only had a cat-back for the 2nd. I imagine they were near stock.

Last edited:

psucobra

Established Member
Iamchris said:
Like I said earlier, I think stock to stock, the Mach is a better street car, from down low or a dig ...with a limited top end room.
The Mach takes advantage of being a drag car in this sense, a street performer. It's solid axle, steeper 1st & 2nd, lighter weight, high torque(lower than cobra though).

The truth of the matter is, based off of simple math, the Mach has an advantage through 1st gear and a slight edge through 2nd gear. After 3rd gear kicks in, the Cobra will turn the tables and pull a slight advantage... after 3rd, the Mach hasn't got a prayer in the world... stock for stock.
Thats against a Cobra coupe, and its just math. The ultimate test is action.
My personal experiences have shown this to be true... but thats just me.

From a dig to about 60 I pulled a cobra repeatedly. From a dig to 80 with a different Cobra, he was right on my side and pulling up as I shut it down... no I wasn't afraid to lose. I usually shut down before 90.

I don't know what either had for mods. I was bone stock except for a drop in filter for the first, and only had a cat-back for the 2nd. I imagine they were near stock.

Nice results in your experiences. In my two races with the Mach I dug him from a stand still, but the driver has a lot to do with that though. I dont think the IRS in the Cobras gets enough credit. I for one find it a hell of a lot easier to launch my '04 with IRS than any of the solid axel Fox's and even Camaro's that ive owned.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Nah, IRS is not as big a deal as it is made out to be... just takes enough intellegence to ease it out and not try to dump it. On the street the best thing is to launch just above idle and ease through the gear, otherwise your just gonna spin and hop.
Its more an issue of power to weight after gearing adjustments.

but the driver has a lot to do with that though.
No kidding eh? My father lost to an Integra R in my Mach. I made him chase the guy back down and asked for another race, then kicked ol' dad out of the seat... :)
*spraypaints another Japanese kill emblem on the side of his car*

SinceNine19

Established Member
Hot shizzle. I may just end up getting a Mach here for a year or two and save up for the new beast ass SVT hehe, I'm not too big a fan though, so I may just save for a 03 cobra still and when they go down in price, twin turbo that sucker hehe.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Don't get me wrong bud, I also stated earlier in this post... Cobra is all about performance. Its an excellent performance machine without a doubt!
If your looking for all out performance, go Cobra, especially after you pulley it...

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
new beast ass SVT hehe, I'm not too big a fan though
I hate the Shelby, thing is ugly like all hell. I'm not sure if the hype has people going crazy over it, or its the power alone... but I would rather own a Terminator than a Shelby, personally.
The 5.4L is sweet though :)
Wish they would do another strong N/A car... 375 NA would be so nice in a stang... *crosses fingers* 5.0 Cammer Boss 302?!?!

SinceNine19

Established Member
Well...I do like all-out performance but like you said, I want a easily streetable car more so than a track beast, and Mach 1 seems to take that spot up fairly nicely. Today out of nowhere a guy driving a Azure Blue Mach 1 flew by me revving hard as hell, shit was LOUD. i've never had anyone do that or seen a Mach being driven like that allover a city road. He was peeling from light to light and revving for fun, looked like he was in love with his car and just out for some fun. Must have been his weekend car, it was 745am too haha!

Is this a sign...because in the 2 years they've been out, that's never happened until now, I always just see one or two here and there driven casually. It looked...really enjoyable. Sounded fantastic.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Sounds like I was driving, hehe. But it wasn't me.
I showboat all the time, I'm guilty. Usually on my way through the city, headed to or from work... get alot of heads turning... cept for the ricers... they are too afraid to look :p

Users who are viewing this thread