Warranty: Leather seat wear.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
So I recently purchased a 12' with 3200 miles on the clock. This car is meticulous inside and out. Garaged kept, owned by an older guy.

However my driver seat is seriously worn. It looks like a seat out of my friends Cobra with 80k IMO . Which I consider excessive for the mileage. Its mainly just the seat bottom.

No idea how it got this way. The leather is "loose" and shiny on the bottom part and wrinkly. I am sure it will most likely rip soon.

Is this covered by warranty? If not what do you think the cost would be if I were to replace the seat bottom doing the labor myself? It is a black seat bottom with lava red center.

Anyone else have this issue?

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I had a thread come out and ford put a new seat cover on. Not sure about a wear out. I would think only manufacturing defects. Roush usually has factory take out covers for sale.

mjohns930

Established Member
I would say there is a good chance it would be covered. When I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer we would put new foams and covers on worn out seats under warranty all the time. And it wasn't defective material wear or something, it was wear from the fact that the seats couldn't handle 350 pounds in and out all the time.

Take it in and see what they say.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Sounds like he let someone swap out the seats before it sold. My wifes 02 GT owned since new has 12x,xxx miles on it and the driver seat has wrinkles and is a little shiny but no noticeable wear. I think the dealer may question it.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Sounds like he let someone swap out the seats before it sold. My wifes 02 GT owned since new has 12x,xxx miles on it and the driver seat has wrinkles and is a little shiny but no noticeable wear. I think the dealer may question it.

^^^ this. how large was the previous owner? pics?

Zemedici

Established Member
Post pics, my dealership is in the process of attempting to warranty a customers seats right now. Is it torn? Or just wrinkled?

Sick_Mustang

Established Member

Not sure what you mean. I highly doubt there was any seat swapping going down.

One it was a fully option car special order with a sticker of 40k. Owned by a 50+ yr old business professional. Who drove it 3200 miles in a year in a half. He was a heavier guy so I'm assuming that's where the wear came from, as the rest of the car looks brand new.

Also it has black leather with the lava red centers and the door cards are also lava red, which matches the window sticker. I don't think that's a very common combo. So I don't think anything crazy was going on.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
I had a thread come out and ford put a new seat cover on. Not sure about a wear out. I would think only manufacturing defects. Roush usually has factory take out covers for sale.

IMO it's on the verge of ripping. I do know some of the threads are split open if I recall correctly.

I will try and upload a picture when I get a moment. I will also call my dealer and see what they say. Or is there a ford warranty number I can call?

Edit: Kind of worried since my car has a catless exhaust and tune. Don't want them to write that down and maybe void my warranty on other stuff down the road.

Last edited:

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
creases? wont warranty. Rips they will is what multiple dealers told me

96svtdriver

Established Member
So I recently purchased a 12' with 3200 miles on the clock. This car is meticulous inside and out. Garaged kept, owned by an older guy.

However my driver seat is seriously worn. It looks like a seat out of my friends Cobra with 80k IMO . Which I consider excessive for the mileage. Its mainly just the seat bottom.

No idea how it got this way. The leather is "loose" and shiny on the bottom part and wrinkly. I am sure it will most likely rip soon.

Is this covered by warranty? If not what do you think the cost would be if I were to replace the seat bottom doing the labor myself? It is a black seat bottom with lava red center.

Anyone else have this issue?

I had my '11 GT/CS for just over a year and 11k miles and the GT/CS on the driver's seat flattened out. It nearly disappeared from the seat back and I had a hell of a time getting Ford to warranty it. The passenger seat needless to say looks good as new, but it's not original to the car either because the original seat cover had a tear on the backside of it when new. In the end it was worth fighting tooth and claw for it because these seat covers are rather expensive. Had the car for 2.5 years now with 31k and so far so good on the new cover. It makes me wonder about the build quality of some of the factory covers. As in, are some better than others, though they are supposed to be identical. Perhaps different vendors? Who knows, but I say go for it as it should be covered under warranty.

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

Last edited:

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
Bumper to bumper means just that. I had quite a few interior items under warranty. Like wear in a leather console cover. I took a little doing but eventually they fixed everything I wanted them to.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
What kills me is Ford (at least in the trucks) had at least three vendors try to supply leather and the problem never got fixed according to the engineer I know there. My Subaru with 80k miles looks brand new yet my stang that had 10k looked atrocious. My biggest beef is Ford knows its and issue yet its near impossible to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread