warranty question

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
What happens if you someone modifies his/her car then takes it to a dealership and they come up with the conclusion that the mod(pullie,cold intake, lowered car, etc.) was the cause of failure? can you guys still take it to a different dealership and get it checked out or are you just screwed?
I'd love to change pullies(when i get my car) but it just seems like a huge risk.
what do u guys think? if one dealership finds out that a smaller pullie was installed then could i still take it to a different dealership or will they already know that my car was rejected ffrom a different dealership?
thanks

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
For me, I rationalized all my mods by saying if somthing breaks on the car and I think that the dealer can trace the problem to one of my mods Ill just remove the mod before bringing it in to the dealer!! From what I gather the mod that puts your warranty most at risk is the chip. My service rep told me why. It has to do with the electric system and is the easiest mod that can be linked to whatever problem you have. The reason is that our cars are pretty much run by an onboard computer and the chip changes how that computer works. My advice is to make your car a beast like mine and find a good service rep who is willing to work with you. TIPS ARE APPRECIATED!!!!!black03

stan03

Established Member
warranty issues...from a dealer

A dealer can send in a request that your warranty be cancelled,they cannot do it themselves.
They can only share info if they submit a warranty claim.
Wrongo about the mods...pulleys are just behind sub frame connectors.They are considered evidence of abuse and racing,both of which will void your entire warranty..trim and all.

Don't Play If You Can't Pay !!

BTW..it's really easy to tell most mods even if reversed.

CWCobra

Established Member
Stan:
With all due respect, please tell us how a pulley change can be detected if the stock pulley is re-inatalled with due professional care.
Peace,
CW

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well there is fine line I think... on the mods issue and what is reasonable...

I mean....... in the brochure that they advertise the car... how does the line go (not digging mine out at the moment) about the "twin smoking black rubber stripes"

That being said.. I fully expect if I blow the motor with a pulley on it... I'm toast...

stan03

Established Member
pulley detection

CW,
I've seen many pulley installations,and been called to look at many that were suspected to have been removed.My experience is that there is almost always a tell-tale sign,even if it's on the pulley cover bolts or other surrounding screws.
Almost always signs on shaft,most guys don't use puller so well.
It would shock you to see a Ford engineer when he thinks he's looking at a mod car.
I'm not saying you can't get away with it..but just remember,SVT watches this sight.All they have to do is scroll through and get a list of mods from this sight and use profiles to match the cars with customers(they have great databases) and then go cancel all of our warranties.
Be aware of what you share...and

DON'T PLAY IF YOU CAN'T PAY !!

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: warranty issues...from a dealer

Originally posted by stan03
A dealer can send in a request that your warranty be cancelled,they cannot do it themselves.
They can only share info if they submit a warranty claim.
Wrongo about the mods...pulleys are just behind sub frame connectors.They are considered evidence of abuse and racing,both of which will void your entire warranty..trim and all.

Don't Play If You Can't Pay !!

BTW..it's really easy to tell most mods even if reversed.

Sub-frames come on the Vert, and according to John at Springfield, they came on his Bullitt - so how do you figure that is evidence of jack-s*(t?

Anybody had their warrant6y denied because of subframes?????????

stan03

Established Member
CANCELLED WARRANTIES

We had ford engineers cancel one for evidence of pulley and sub frame connectors that were removed.

It's out of our hands when Ford gets involved.
People that aren't racing in some way usually don't make these kind of mods..and yes they do come as stiffening braces on some models.
Just trying to share some experience.Hope it helps.

93cobra03

Established Member
THE SVT GESTAPO IS WATCHING.
They have a supercomputer that can collate your I.P. #, Email Address , and birthady of everybody and detect who you are. Beyond this they pretend to be one of us and attend are secret functions to figure out how they can further take away performance through our onboard computers/ camera you can not see! New mod pull antenna it is actually sending signals to ford.
DOWN WITH THEM RESIST!!!
Wait a mintute they did make my 03 kinda fast w/ big rubber tires and cool hood didn't they?

f4sfed

Established Member
Re: pulley detection

CW,
I've seen many pulley installations,and been called to look at many that were suspected to have been removed.My experience is that there is almost always a tell-tale sign,even if it's on the pulley cover bolts or other surrounding screws.
Almost always signs on shaft,most guys don't use puller so well.
It would shock you to see a Ford engineer when he thinks he's looking at a mod car.
I'm not saying you can't get away with it..but just remember,SVT watches this sight.All they have to do is scroll through and get a list of mods from this sight and use profiles to match the cars with customers(they have great databases) and then go cancel all of our warranties.
Be aware of what you share...and

While I completely agree with you about not playin' if you can't pay, I must say that the way SOME of the dealerships treat their customers and their cars, is not right either.

We buy $35,000 to $39,000 cars (and some paid cash), and the first chance they get, they take OUR cars on a joy ride?! The car WE'VE paid for! And we're supposed to bring our car in for a new program? Or new cats? Or to even get the window fixed? I must say there are things I'd like to take my car in for, but I simply don't trust them, and don't WANT to put myself in a postion where I'm almost threating them to not take my car on a test drive (I'd espeically freak out if they took one for my window issue). I can't tell you how disappointed I was when my salesman (who I've done business with for the past 4 years), took my car to fill it up (before I signed the papers), and picked up another salesman at the end of the driveway, at the exit. I guess the other guy held the gas cap, so it didn't have to rest on the car. :|

I'm not trying to justify, I'm just trying to express some of my (and hopefully some others) frustrations about some of the dealers (seeming) to screw us whether we're comin' or goin'. i.e. They'd like to drive our cars (for a joy ride), but then when it's time to fix something, they're very picky about what'll be covered because we've changed something. How do we know that clutch vibration issue some people experienced, wasn't due to a joy ride before we took ownership? And now it won't be covered because we put a pulley on, or a chip in.

While I don't expect something I don't deserve, I DO expect fair and honest service.</soapbox>

stan03

Established Member
dealer ? or tech and salesman

Please understand that you are holding the dealer responsible for something he surely didn't do or know anything about.I share your stories daily as to help my people understand your situation.
I have jetskis,boats,bikes and more...none of them stock.I understand your situation,I can't speak for others,but my customers can count on the fact that if I catch my people engaging in these unacceptable behaviors that it'll be worse than if it was my own !!!!!:cuss:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: CANCELLED WARRANTIES

We had ford engineers cancel one for evidence of pulley and sub frame connectors that were removed.

It's out of our hands when Ford gets involved.
People that aren't racing in some way usually don't make these kind of mods..and yes they do come as stiffening braces on some models.
Just trying to share some experience.Hope it helps.

A pulley is one thing, subframes another. That Ford engineer must not have been one of the ones who show up at the SVTOA autocross events - aint that racing? What a crock of two-faced hyprocrisy for them to do that, to save a lousy buck. :bash:

f4sfed

Established Member
Re: dealer ? or tech and salesman

Please understand that you are holding the dealer responsible for something he surely didn't do or know anything about.I share your stories daily as to help my people understand your situation.
I have jetskis,boats,bikes and more...none of them stock.I understand your situation,I can't speak for others,but my customers can count on the fact that if I catch my people engaging in these unacceptable behaviors that it'll be worse than if it was my own !!!!!:cuss:

That's cool. And I didn't mean to imply that you (or your employee's) engage in those types of activites. All I can speak to is what I've seen, and somewhat to what I've been told. And quite frankly, I'm not willing to put myself through the anguish of worrying about the car after I drop it off. I mean, they could SEE that I've mod'd the car, and take it out not worrying about breaking anything. And when I bring it in to warranty what THEY caused , they can deny my warranty claim. That just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, it's good to have a dealer on the board. I think it shows that you care about what's going on out there....and I think it's even cooler that you actually understand it! :D

stan03

Established Member
Great Board

This feedback will really help me to service customers like us better than I do already.
I don't lie or hold back so if you see it you can bet it happened.
I hate it when these warranty things come up but let's put it perspective,we service over 1000 vehicles a month and haven't had to deal with it in more that a year.
I am getting a lot of questions by e-mail and such and try to be honest as i can.
Thanks for having me!! :beer:

f4sfed

Established Member
Re: Great Board

This feedback will really help me to service customers like us better than I do already.
I don't lie or hold back so if you see it you can bet it happened.
I hate it when these warranty things come up but let's put it perspective,we service over 1000 vehicles a month and haven't had to deal with it in more that a year.
I am getting a lot of questions by e-mail and such and try to be honest as i can.
Thanks for having me!! :beer:

:beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: pulley detection

Please refrain from using this phrase. If you do, I will comment every time you use it. :loser: Thanks for your cooperation.:bored:

f4sfed

Established Member
Re: Re: pulley detection

Originally posted by 03DOHC
Please refrain from using this phrase. If you do, I will comment every time you use it. :loser: Thanks for your cooperation.:bored:

He's right though....that saying is right up there with "speed costs...how fast you wanna go?".:burnout:

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: pulley detection

Originally posted by f4sfed
He's right though....that saying is right up there with "speed costs...how fast you wanna go?".:burnout:
No he's not. I am proof of that. Mods don't mean you race 100% of the time. Making a complete blanket statement like that is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread