Was this a Bait and Switch?

Troponin

Established Member
Also, is this acceptable behavior?

Brand new Car was advertised as $26,000. We calculated the payments prior to going in and decided what we would put down in order to get our payments under $400 per month. I go in and sit down to work the deal and he tells me I need to put down 1500 more than what I came up with to get under 400. I then ask him to break down the amount, and they slipped in paintless dent repair and something else. I told them I didn't want those, and he told me I didn't have a choice because in order for them to advertise the $26,000, they had to add other costs to make up for the loss.

They tried to justify that with the fact that I was getting good service or a good product in return, but still, I did not want to part of the original price

what are your thoughts on this

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Without seeing the full ad, it's a tough call. I hate when dealerships try selling that paint protection crap. I almost had the cops called on me at a dealership once when I called a sales manager a liar in the middle of the showroom in front of a ton of customers.

Troponin

Established Member
They had no documentation of this anywhere. They just had the original window sticker and used a marker to advertise the 26,000.

I did get up and walk out. Salesman was young, and he seemed agitated I was walking away over $1500, but apparently has a lot to learn.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Lord... Never negotiate based on a monthly payment...NEVER.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You said that you wanted to get your payments under $400 a month.. That's the same thing. Never tell the deal what you would like to have.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Sounds pretty bait and switchy to me. I don't play those games with dealerships and is one of the biggest reasons I don't currently own a Ford. The ford dealers around me are prone to such behavior.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You said that you wanted to get your payments under $400 a month.. That's the same thing. Never tell the deal what you would like to have.

He said he did the math on a down payment for 26k at home before going to the dealership

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It's on you for falling for it, sorry to say. You should have known to use one of the online services to see what invoice is and what people are paying, ect. before ever walking in there. Your research would have likely revealed that the price was too good to be true and you would've known it was just a sales tactic.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I used Truecar.com, and they sent hooked me up with a pin code to get $750 off of the final price. Yes, it worked.

Troponin

Established Member

Again, we didn't. I only the details pertinent to the reason I posted this. I never told them what payments we wanted. We never even began negotiating because immediately spotted something wrong

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, waits for cobra13 to save the day. Lol

LOL

That isn't bait and switch. Bait and switch would be to advertise a shit green F-150 for $26,000...then when you go there, sell you a more favorable color for more money.

What happened to you is known as packaging. Technically, it is not against the law. Dealers are able to advertise the price of their vehicle ($26,000), then when you go to the store they can explain to you the cost of the aftermarket accessories that come with the car ($1500) and ANY administrative/doc fees.

I don't allow my sales managers to advertise like this. I'd rather focus on building relationships with customers rather than having to explain to them how we advertise to get them in the door.

A lot of stores around me charge $220 for window tint, $600 spray in bedliner and $350 undercoating on every truck they sell. They don't advertise that added cost ($1,170).

Others will have their big price on their ad, then on the bottom it will say "advertised price excludes all freight/destination and administrative fees". On Ford's, destination fees are $1,195 now..then whatever the dealer charges for the administrative fee.

WHEN YOU GO TO A DEALERSHIP THAT PLAYS THE PRICING GAME TO DRUM UP TRAFFIC, THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL ENCOUNTER EVERY TIME.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Again, we didn't. I only the details pertinent to the reason I posted this. I never told them what payments we wanted. We never even began negotiating because immediately spotted something wrong

I misunderstood. Anyhow, math is still overrated.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
sounds like bait and switch if it wasn't in any fine print.

Again, no

Bait-and-Switch:

Illegal practice of 'baiting' customers with unrealistically low prices to bring them into the store, and then trying to sell them higher-priced goods on the pretext that the advertised bargain-priced goods are sold out. Also called bait pricing.

OP: What are you wanting to buy? A buddy mine owns a store right down by you and I could get him to hook you up. Assuming he isn't the one that just tried to mess with you lol In fact, if you don't mind, PM me the name of the store.

oldmodman

Established Member
Last car I bought new I had the dealer order exactly the way I wanted it.

And I wrote on the contract that anything that was not on the car when it drove out of the factory would be a free gift. Absolutely no charge to me.

Otherwise they would have thrown an aftermarket alarm, paint sealer, custom floor mats, and who knows what other 99 cent store crap on there.

They were not happy. But if they had refused to agree to my requirements I would have just gone on to the next dealer that would.

Users who are viewing this thread