Was this a Bait and Switch?

Zemedici

Established Member
LOL

That isn't bait and switch. Bait and switch would be to advertise a shit green F-150 for $26,000...then when you go there, sell you a more favorable color for more money.

What happened to you is known as packaging. Technically, it is not against the law. Dealers are able to advertise the price of their vehicle ($26,000), then when you go to the store they can explain to you the cost of the aftermarket accessories that come with the car ($1500) and ANY administrative/doc fees.

I don't allow my sales managers to advertise like this. I'd rather focus on building relationships with customers rather than having to explain to them how we advertise to get them in the door.

A lot of stores around me charge $220 for window tint, $600 spray in bedliner and $350 undercoating on every truck they sell. They don't advertise that added cost ($1,170).

Others will have their big price on their ad, then on the bottom it will say "advertised price excludes all freight/destination and administrative fees". On Ford's, destination fees are $1,195 now..then whatever the dealer charges for the administrative fee.

WHEN YOU GO TO A DEALERSHIP THAT PLAYS THE PRICING GAME TO DRUM UP TRAFFIC, THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL ENCOUNTER EVERY TIME.

Again, no

Bait-and-Switch:

OP: What are you wanting to buy? A buddy mine owns a store right down by you and I could get him to hook you up. Assuming he isn't the one that just tried to mess with you lol In fact, if you don't mind, PM me the name of the store.

Listen to my man here.

He does have a 'bit' of experience ;-)

Not a bait-and-switch, but a 'shady' practice nonetheless. I wouldnt want to do business with a dealership that uses said methods, and hence why 13Cobra doesnt allow his guys to use those techniques.

Troponin

Established Member
Again, no

Bait-and-Switch:

OP: What are you wanting to buy? A buddy mine owns a store right down by you and I could get him to hook you up. Assuming he isn't the one that just tried to mess with you lol In fact, if you don't mind, PM me the name of the store.

PM incoming.

It was on a leftover 2016 MKC with a sticker price of 34,400.

The reason why I gave it a look was because it's not completely unusual to see a left over with huge discounts. Against my wishes, my wife called to ask them about it again, after I told them no deal. THey said they sold it to someone later this morning. I was pissed at her and told her we should not have even given them the time of day after that. Now they get the last laugh, thinking we regret not buying it.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Listen to my man here.

He does have a 'bit' of experience ;-)

Not a bait-and-switch, but a 'shady' practice nonetheless. I wouldnt want to do business with a dealership that uses said methods, and hence why 13Cobra doesnt allow his guys to use those techniques.

You already got him to put a ring on it, no need to keep nut swinging after locking him down, haha.

josephcostello

Established Member
The last car I bought from a dealer ended up being a lemon and I got screwed, I'll never trust them again. OP walk away and find one from a private party.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
PM incoming.

It was on a leftover 2016 MKC with a sticker price of 34,400.

The reason why I gave it a look was because it's not completely unusual to see a left over with huge discounts. Against my wishes, my wife called to ask them about it again, after I told them no deal. THey said they sold it to someone later this morning. I was pissed at her and told her we should not have even given them the time of day after that. Now they get the last laugh, thinking we regret not buying it.
I'll look for it.
The last car I bought from a dealer ended up being a lemon and I got screwed, I'll never trust them again. OP walk away and find one from a private party.
The dealer had nothing to do with it being a lemon law car.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Without seeing the full ad, it's a tough call. I hate when dealerships try selling that paint protection crap. I almost had the cops called on me at a dealership once when I called a sales manager a liar in the middle of the showroom in front of a ton of customers.

Bait & switch, OP.

That reminds me of the time I was at a BMW dealer in North NJ trying to buy a 335xi they had. The salesman didn;t like getting beat at his own game so he just began sitting there silent not speaking anymore as I asked him questions. I asked for the manager & still nothing. So I got u to go get him myself & the salesman says to me "I wouldn't do that" LMAO what are you gonna do, hit me? GTFO. Needless to say, I bought nothing from them.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Lord... Never negotiate based on a monthly payment...NEVER.

My coworker recently dealt with a salesman attempting this. My coworker stated the grand total he was willing to pay(lets say 26K), and the interest rate he wanted. "How about XXX for 48 months?" Um, that's 27,500? "Ok, how about XXX at _% for 60 months?" That's still over 26K and at a higher rate. He told the guy, "Stop trying to **** me over, I told you the rate and the total, don't call me unless you are offering exactly those" and walked out. He had a call the next afternoon.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My coworker recently dealt with a salesman attempting this. My coworker stated the grand total he was willing to pay(lets say 26K), and the interest rate he wanted. "How about XXX for 48 months?" Um, that's 27,500? "Ok, how about XXX at _% for 60 months?" That's still over 26K and at a higher rate. He told the guy, "Stop trying to **** me over, I told you the rate and the total, don't call me unless you are offering exactly those" and walked out. He had a call the next afternoon.
Makes your coworker sound all high and mighty. Would it be the dealerships fault if he didn't qualify for whatever rate he demanded?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Duh, it's ALWAYS the dealers fault.

As to the bait and switch, it was more of an unwelcome fondling.
I assumed that.

I wish there were enough hours in a day to completely educate every buyer of how exactly purchasing a vehicle works and who has the say in all of the different aspects of it.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I assumed that.

I wish there were enough hours in a day to completely educate every buyer of how exactly purchasing a vehicle works and who has the say in all of the different aspects of it.

It wouldn't matter, they'd just assume you're trying to hide some other secret.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
They had no documentation of this anywhere. They just had the original window sticker and used a marker to advertise the 26,000.

I did get up and walk out. Salesman was young, and he seemed agitated I was walking away over $1500, but apparently has a lot to learn.

I would have compared what clean low mileage used were selling for. When you get leftover units selling for less than used, it is worth haggling, if you really like it. Remember, salespeople have zero ability to change price. I would have sent him back and told him to bring the manager with him. Customers who stay calm and relentless always get the best deals. Dealers who have units that have been on the lot a long time WANT that unit gone. A patient persistent buyer may have found that another $500 from you would have gotten the deal done. Thinking about all the numbers before you go in gives you maximum leverage.

With all that said, rolling in upcharges is old school and pisses off customers. Every area of the country has its traditions I guess.

oldmodman

Established Member
Dealers really do hate me.

I grind them to within an inch of their lives. Then when I have the out the door price down to what I will pay. I tell them I am paying cash for it.

Am I then the Baiter and Switcher?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Makes your coworker sound all high and mighty. Would it be the dealerships fault if he didn't qualify for whatever rate he demanded?

He was already approved by his bank and had proof. The dealer wanted him to use their financing. With every offer then changed the loan amount, the loan period and the interest rate. He called them on the first two and walked out on the third. They were playing the "well here's a lower monthly payment for you" BS while trying to charge him more.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Reminds me of a time there was a lease advertisement at a really cheap payment for a car I wanted. Came in with cash saying I'll take it at that payment and I'm paying the whole three years up front. They refused and I was like wtf and never went back.

_Snake_

Established Member
Dealers really do hate me.

I grind them to within an inch of their lives. Then when I have the out the door price down to what I will pay. I tell them I am paying cash for it.

Am I then the Baiter and Switcher?

You are definitely the master baiter and switcher.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Reminds me of a time there was a lease advertisement at a really cheap payment for a car I wanted. Came in with cash saying I'll take it at that payment and I'm paying the whole three years up front. They refused and I was like wtf and never went back.
If you paid the 3 years of (lease) payments up front, which is what I reading from your post, you wouldn't then own the car. So why would you pay the 36 lease payments up front? I'm a little confused at what you were attempting to do.

Go on 3

Established Member
Reminds me of the new F-150 I just bought. I got it for 35,200 drive out but, I was using Jerry the car pro. Check him out in your city. He has referrals in pretty much every city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread