Watch your pets.. Coyotes!

trevkm7

Established Member
The other day I let my dogs out in the morning like I always do. One never came back. I took my fox hound down into the woods to find him the next day and she led me right to an area of bloody leaves : (. Really sucks to lose him that way.He was a great dog and he was only 5. His name was Finn and he was a jack Russell terrier. Be careful and keep an eye on your pets! I hear the coyotes all the time at night from my window but they never venture any closer to the house until now. :fm::fm:

Jack Burton

Established Member
Coyotes are pretty troublesome down here. A lot of people in my area have lost their dogs to coyotes. I even spotted one right at my fence line eyeballing the wife's little dogs.

trevkm7

Established Member
they are sneaky and cowardly predators,but hey I guess that is why they are still around right? I definitely wouldn't mind borrowing my fathers rifle and bringing my hound into the woods for a little revenge.There are PLENTY of deer around and the winter has been so mild here that their numbers are increasing.

ff500

Established Member
When we go to the Cape in the summer months, we hear and see them a lot. One night there was a fire truck siren and then all the coyotes started howling, it sounded like they were right outside the door.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
Sorry to hear about losing your dog. Poor thing, that's a hell of a way to go.

trevkm7

Established Member
When we go to the Cape in the summer months, we hear and see them a lot. One night there was a fire truck siren and then all the coyotes started howling, it sounded like they were right outside the door.

Same has happened to me,they get pretty damn loud.They've woken me up from sleep with the windows shut before.

Stinger2011

Established Member
Here's an idea for you.

1: Get an electronic call for coyotes and play animals squealing to attract said coyotes.

2: Get your rifle/shotgun.

3: Go inside and prank call the local grocery store and ask them if they have cotton balls.

4: Go back outside and shoot the coyotes.

Also, sorry about your dog. I lost my close to 15 year old chihuahua a few weeks ago. Two big, very young feists killed him on his own property because of a weenie dog in heat. Bitches got what they had coming to them, though.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
killing yotes is FUN!!!

but it's friggin hard man...they are smart sumbitches
i use an elec game call with about 2 dozen different sounds and a 22-250 rem model 700 w/26inch target barrel, 4-12 scope and hornady ballistic tips

playing the wind is KEY! they have great smell and eyesight and they will not approach in any direction but downwind

i also use a decoy to keep thier attention off of me an on there intended target

remember you are hunting a hunter when it come to coyotes

Last edited:

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
^ Sounds like too much work to me. Just toss some raw meat outside a little before dusk then sit and wait. I've killed two in the past year alone, granted they don't have much to hunt in my area but geese so they may be a little more desperate. We live on cranberry bogs so I tossed bait down by the edge of the water they use for irrigation and waited for about an hour and a half before I saw one come into view. He scoped it out for about 20 mins before he came closer and gave me a decent shot. Having two little dogs my mom would be heartbroken if anything ever happened to them, pretty sure she loves them more then me.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
The area we used to live in had lots of them. We'd hear them at night like they were just outside of our house. Our neighbors had numerous cats go missing only to be found later mangled up in the woods behind us.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^ Sounds like too much work to me. Just toss some raw meat outside a little before dusk then sit and wait. I've killed two in the past year alone, granted they don't have much to hunt in my area but geese so they may be a little more desperate. We live on cranberry bogs so I tossed bait down by the edge of the water they use for irrigation and waited for about an hour and a half before I saw one come into view. He scoped it out for about 20 mins before he came closer and gave me a decent shot. Having two little dogs my mom would be heartbroken if anything ever happened to them, pretty sure she loves them more then me.

my buddy and i have snached up freshly killed deer along the road to use as bait for yotes...pretty effective in the winter months

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
they are sneaky and cowardly predators,but hey I guess that is why they are still around right? I definitely wouldn't mind borrowing my fathers rifle and bringing my hound into the woods for a little revenge.There are PLENTY of deer around and the winter has been so mild here that their numbers are increasing.

cowardly? hahahahahahaha they are anything but cowardly.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That sucks Trevor. We've had coyotes in our area as well, with concerns about them attacking pets and even children. I've had them as close as 100 ft. away in the woods, and even saw one crossing a local street. I called the Cheshire police and asked if it is legal to shoot a coyote if it attacks a pet, or even a child. I was told 'no' because you cannot legally shoot a gun within city limits without a special permit. They said I'd have to call the police to report the animal. Yeah, right! I'll tell you one thing, if my child was playing the backyard and a coyote was about to attack, I'll shoot and kill it in a heartbeat. And go to jail if need be. :nonono:

oldmodman

Established Member
Three friends have lost pets to those sneaky little bastards.
Two small dogs and a cat. They have tried to bait them, trap them, and in one case shoot them but they are to cagey.

But the most impressive local predator is the Mountain Lion or Cougar. They come down out of the hills right into the residential areas and kill anything they want. Including adult men. They will leap out of concealment, grab their prey and be gone in five seconds. Most of the ones in the local hills have been darted and equipped with a radio collar. It's really amazing to see how far into "human land" they go at night looking for food.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Three friends have lost pets to those sneaky little bastards.
Two small dogs and a cat. They have tried to bait them, trap them, and in one case shoot them but they are to cagey.

But the most impressive local predator is the Mountain Lion or Cougar. They come down out of the hills right into the residential areas and kill anything they want. Including adult men. They will leap out of concealment, grab their prey and be gone in five seconds. Most of the ones in the local hills have been darted and equipped with a radio collar. It's really amazing to see how far into "human land" they go at night looking for food.

**** that! Coyotes I can deal with, mountain lions I cannot. Kind of funny actually that my mom called me about 30 mins ago when I got out of my meeting with my professor, apparently a fox tried to attack one of our puppies this morning and she has seen it circling the house ever since, staying about 10 feet into the treeline. Time to break out the rifle :coolman:

Driver500

Established Member
Sorry for your loss man. It's tough to lose a pet. I hope you get a chance to put in some work on the local coyote population.

They can be tough to kill though. They are smart enough to avoid most traps and don't give many chances to get offed. We have property that borders a national forest. They stay in the forest until pressure from hunters pushes them out then we get to deal with them throughout the hunting season. Trapping, poisoning, and the occasional chance to shoot one puts a big enough dent in the population to reduce the impact to our deer herd, but it takes a lot of work to keep it that way. Last count was 57 trapped and who knows how many poisoned over the last 3 years. No one has gotten a chance to shoot one that wasn't hung up in a snare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread