Watertown may be setting a dangerous precedent

Would you be ok with SWAT/FBI/DHS searching your property without consent/warrant?

• Yes

Votes: 28 10.0%
  • Maybe, it depends on the circumstances

Votes: 76 27.2%
  • No

Votes: 41 14.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 134 48.0%

• Total voters

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
This video was taken by a man who woke up to SWAT searching his garage without his consent and without a warrant. Some have said that these searches were voluntary, from this video I think not. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Would you be ok with the FBI,ATF,DHS,SWAT,Police searching your property without your consent or without a warrant?

I think we'll see a lot more on this topic as Watertown citizens concerns are heard in the coming weeks as more and more of these video's surface.

[youtube_browser]dhUQ5ONxYFc[/youtube_browser]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dhUQ5ONxYFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
I think in a situation like that it is better that they search like that "respectively" to the citizens as well..

Keep in mind "what if" the guy was in that garage and they did go try and get a warrant and in the mean time he escaped and killed a family or something?

trxcobra

Established Member
In that sort of situation I would most definitely allow it. I would hope that SWAT, FBI, etc. would not pay much attention to anything illegal you may have in your basement while their mindset is on something much more serious

rondog622

Established Member
The only people that are going to complain are the ones that have something they shouldnt. I would rather my my place checked than to get into my car to find some a hole with a bomb strapped to him hijacking me and my car

Dark02Pony

Established Member
No. By allowing it once it opens the door for warrantless searches in the future for just about anything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
In that sort of situation I would most definitely allow it. I would hope that SWAT, FBI, etc. would not pay much attention to anything illegal you may have in your basement while their mindset is on something much more serious

In my opinion your view is a slippery slope because what defines the "right" type of situation for this to take place? Who makes that judgement as to when or when not to violate your Fourth Amendment rights?

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if they went to the front door and asked for consent. If it were me, under the circumstances I personally probably would have gave them consent to search. However, they didn't and conducted illegal searches violating the Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution.

Last edited:

t01lightning

Established Member
Tk as a fellow officer I. Cannot lie he would have been shot on the spot, I do not wait for details if your in my house badge or not without a warrant I will figure it out after I place 3 rounds in the same spot. It's not the cops jobs to protect you or your family it's your own. The police are your backup. I joined to protect states rights and serve on the front line to protect the constitution and citizens. Every situation I put myself in the Americans citizens shoes, not officer shoes unless it's a split second decision and no matter what I am coming home to my family every ****ing time. Most honest military and Leo's who are good men joined on the same principles and feel the same. People need to wake up fast, good men need to find their sack as evil will succeed without a fight!

itSSlow98

Established Member
Tk as a fellow officer I. Cannot lie he would have been shot on the spot, I do not wait for details if your in my house badge or not without a warrant I will figure it out after I place 3 rounds in the same spot. It's not the cops jobs to protect you or your family it's your own. The police are your backup. I joined to protect states rights and serve on the front line to protect the constitution and citizens. Every situation I put myself in the Americans citizens shoes, not officer shoes unless it's a split second decision and no matter what I am coming home to my family every ****ing time. Most honest military and Leo's who are good men joined on the same principles and feel the same. People need to wake up fast, good men need to find their sack as evil will succeed without a fight!

So who will protect your family while you serve life in prison for murdering a police officer because you think your a badass?

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member

Its good to know there are men like you out there :beer:

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Then who makes that judgement to be defined as "exigent circumstances" to violate the US Constitution?

The police officer makes that decision based on the incident and corcumstances. It is not a violation of your constitutional rights if exigent circumstances exist.

t01lightning

Established Member
It's called exigent circumstances.

Unless they saw the perp run in or the owner called you need to check your definition. Exigent is not stopping to help someone on the side of the road while driving in a marked car when transporting someone under arrest. Watch how many people file a lawsuit civilly, you will have to dig deep, the media will never say a word.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Your question is loaded. If the FHP knock on my door tomorrow and ask to randomly search my house I'll be telling them to get a warrant and don't come back without one.

However, if a terrorist and known killer has a shootout 2-3 blocks from my house, a perimeter is set up, and I later see police walk into my open garage to look for the suspect, that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread