Watkins Glen Track Day - 2014 GT with Aero

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice driving. That was a great video. I've never tried that, but it surely must be a blast. A friend of mine races at Lyme Rock and occasionally at Watkins Glen and other tracks on the east coast. So I race through him. LOL. Keep having fun racing that awesome GT. Nice mods and it looks like you've got the suspension set up nicely.

dmichaels

Established Member
HOLY CRAP that looks awesome! That 144 on the big straight must have been sweet!

As counter intuitive as it may seem, the straights are where I check engine temps, relax for a couple seconds, and reset. The corners are the intense part. Of course speed is fun :)

Last edited:

dmichaels

Established Member
Nice driving. That was a great video. I've never tried that, but it surely must be a blast. A friend of mine races at Lyme Rock and occasionally at Watkins Glen and other tracks on the east coast. So I race through him. LOL. Keep having fun racing that awesome GT. Nice mods and it looks like you've got the suspension set up nicely.

We are lucky here on the east coast to have a bunch of great road courses.

I'm very happy with the car. It's great seeing the work I've done pay off!

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Very cool..

I'll be there week after next for two days with Phoenix CMR.

We get 5 half hour sessions per day.

It's amazing how much speed you can get thru the uphill esses to the back straight before the bus stop.

dmichaels

Established Member
Very cool..

I'll be there week after next for two days with Phoenix CMR.

We get 5 half hour sessions per day.

It's amazing how much speed you can get thru the uphill esses to the back straight before the bus stop.

That's a direct result of aero. If I had more power, it would be a touch faster still.

Sounds like a good event. I'll be in Ireland, not sure when I'll get out next

smitty2919

Established Member
72" wide, 14" chord rear carbon fiber wing, 14" off the trunk lid with ability to adjust angle

Carbon fiber splitter which extends back to the oil access underbody tray

Upper and lower front canards (carbon fiber)

All parts were manufactured by me at home

Did you guess at placement/size/angle of said mods or did you go off of people's recommendations or did you do experiments to determine the aero.

I ask because I'd like to look into a little aero on my car but it's mostly autocross based right now and eventually RR.

dmichaels

Established Member
Did you guess at placement/size/angle of said mods or did you go off of people's recommendations or did you do experiments to determine the aero.

I ask because I'd like to look into a little aero on my car but it's mostly autocross based right now and eventually RR.

The size was based on an APR wing which had CFD run on it in a free stream simulation

The profile was based off a high lift, low speed aerodynamics research paper (low speed in the aerospace world...)

For angle, I have multiple settings that I can play with based on driving feel

I need to capture some actual data for downforce vs speed so I can better make adjustments for different tracks. I have a few ideas on how to get that data

dmichaels

Established Member
Regarding the splitter, I designed it to extend about the same as the Laguna Seca one and had it extent aft as far as I could without interfering with the underbody panel that is moved for oil changes

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
IMG_2902.JPG

good to be back

Can't wait for tomorrow and Tuesday

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Well...

Pouring rain last night and today, sitting in the garage at the track, hardly anyone going out in the rain, but tomorrow's forecast is sun all day.

AdamSVT03

Do you have any additional cooling mods for the track or is the Coyote fine at near stock power without any?

dmichaels

Established Member
Do you have any additional cooling mods for the track or is the Coyote fine at near stock power without any?

I run pretty hot, but if coolant temps climb, I turn on the heat and it helps quite a bit.

Diff cooling is good, and external oil cooler is on my list too but I've had no issues to date and I run the car hard

Users who are viewing this thread