Weird noise, clutch slip?

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Noticed something weird the last few times I have taken the GT500 out...in 4th gear at low RPM, when I put the peddle to the floor I hear a strange whirring noise from my right ear, and a "woomph" (best way I can describe it). It fairly loud, and each time I immediately take my foot off the gas.

Hotter than hell here so unsure if it is a power issue. Wondering if it could be my clutch or something? Doesn't slip otherwise, and I haven't been able to correlate the RPM's rising when this happens. I know this is vague but if anyone has any ideas let me know!

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Has that car ever had a Clutch TSB performed? If so with what clutch kit. The early 2007 and 08 cars had some issues and they used the same clutch. By the 2010 year they started fixing the 2007-2009 cars with the 2010 style clutch.

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
No, stock clutch 22.2K miles and the whipple since 14K. I think it might be the clutch, just took it out again and the RPM's are bouncing up a bit in low rpm/high gear, then it catches and goes. Crap! I think the noise from before was when it was really hot and slipping more.

PLASMAN

Don
Established Member
I have a spec 3+ clutch and billet flywheel waiting to go in when mine starts slipping and I have a quote from Dallas mustang for $275 on the installation. Thats a pretty good deal, I shopped around a few other places in the area and they ranged from $350-600.

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
I have a spec 3+ clutch and billet flywheel waiting to go in when mine starts slipping and I have a quote from Dallas mustang for $275 on the installation. Thats a pretty good deal, I shopped around a few other places in the area and they ranged from $350-600.

That is a pretty good deal @ 275. Wonder how many they have put in for 07+ GT500's?

I got a quote today from HPP for $95/hr @ 4 hrs

Van@RevanRacing

Noticed something weird the last few times I have taken the GT500 out...in 4th gear at low RPM, when I put the peddle to the floor I hear a strange whirring noise from my right ear, and a "woomph" (best way I can describe it). It fairly loud, and each time I immediately take my foot off the gas.

Hotter than hell here so unsure if it is a power issue. Wondering if it could be my clutch or something? Doesn't slip otherwise, and I haven't been able to correlate the RPM's rising when this happens. I know this is vague but if anyone has any ideas let me know!

Clutch is going. It's only going to get worse. I recommend SPEC. Stock 2007 clutches will let go anywhere from 100 miles to 40K. It's just a matter of time.

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong. But if his clutch is going then more than likely it is because of the TSB flywheel warp issue right?

Since that can cause tranny issues should he not have his tranny dropped and checked out just in case?

Last edited:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong. But if his clutch is going then more than likely it is because of the TSB flywheel warp issue right?

Clutch disks are normal wear and tear items, just like brake pads. Not every stock 07-09 nodular iron flywheel warped causing clutch drag and hence the TSB issue! :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread