Well got rid of the cobra, went to the dark side

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like a decent buy to me, beings the cobra had big issues. I just rode in a c5 vette yesterday that raced a 6.0 GTO. Both basically stock from my understanding. The GTO laid down around 370rwhp and beat the C5 from a 20mph roll by about a car length and from a dig the C5 edged it out by a fender.

smitty2919

Established Member
I did the same but from a 03 mach 1 to 04 M6.

If it's under warranty, pay attention to:
front strut rub (some poly bushings went in)
radius rod bushings(again poly ones went in)
drive shaft center carrier bearing torn/tearing (DSS 1 pc aluminum one took care of that, cheapest/best solution)
rear springs sagging (with a full tank my rear sat down 3/4", if not replaced can cause too much negative camber)
drivers side fuel rail rubbing on engine cover (either remove cover or wrap with tape)
BCM (body control module) wires rubbing on console brace behind the glove box.(wrap them with electrical tape)

Join up on ls1gto.com and search for fixes. Any questions just PM me. I just got done doing the list above about a month ago. Not to say yours will have same problems but all those very common issues. Even in cars with lower miles than you. I would squeeze allll you can out of the warranty.

Congrats! Compared to my Mach, the interior is sooo much better actually being able to fit 4 adults in it and the ride comfort is great.

Last edited:

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Congrats. But did you tell the dealership about the low compression.... Probably not I'm assuming.

Sucks if you didnt because whoever buys it is going to have a crap motor and a bunch of headaches. Sorry, but I think thats kind of shitty.

JMO.

I don't think that is shitty at all. The dealer will do a complete check of the car before they put it up for sale usually. They don't want any head aches with customers either, so If there are any issues then they will wholesale it and be done with it. No harm done.

The dealer will do anything it can to make money on our friend here when he walked into the doors to buy his car...he should do the same.

Really the only dishonest thing you can do when trying to trade in a car is trying to pass off a salvage title without them knowing it. Anything else is on them. Believe me they make enough money on trade-ins that if they miss a bad motor here and there it ain't gonna matter.

Last edited:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Congrats on the trade! GTO's are nice cars, not sure I would have traded a 03/04 for one but to each his own:rockon:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I've seen a few nicely done GTO's around town and they're stout cars for what they are. I think it'll make for a great DD, and I doubt you'll have any trouble finding the right Mustang down the road when you're ready to tinker with one again.

smitty2919

Established Member
Congrats on the trade! GTO's are nice cars, not sure I would have traded a 03/04 for one but to each his own:rockon:

Did you read he was going to start having motor issues with the cobra?

If I got rid of my GTO, it would be for a Mach 1 or 03/04 cobra. No way I could go to just a GT after owning the Mach 1, then GTO. GT's don't have any balls compared to those lol

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Nice upgrade man, really clean car.

Did you read he was going to start having motor issues with the cobra?

If I got rid of my GTO, it would be for a Mach 1 or 03/04 cobra. No way I could go to just a GT after owning the Mach 1, then GTO. GT's don't have any balls compared to those lol

But he wasn't going from an 03/04 to a new edge GT, he was considering a new 5.0 GT which is an upgrade from and 03/04 Cobra:shrug:

Jaysin

Established Member
My friend has a 6.0 GTO too, really nice cars, and very comfortable. Makes good power too and is a great DD I think. The ONLY thing I didn't like about it when driving it was how easy the clutch pedal is, and the gear shifter felt a little sloppy to me. Though i'm used to a heavy clutch in the Cobra and a notchy transmission lol.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Congrats OP, at first I was going to call you an idiot but I read you entire post and think you made the right move. Those GTO's are so nice to drive and very reliable. The weakest link will be the factory clutch, which you should upgrade to an LS7 as soon as necessary and the stock ear suspension sags.
IMO The '03 Cobra is tops in the modability/coolness factor but the GTO is a much better car for DDing and comfort.

Really, how??? My cammed and blown goat didn't give me any problems the whole time i owned it, and last i checked the new/current owner is having the same luck.

I'm wondering the same thing. I've been around the LSX scene since it began and never heard of reliability issues from H/C/I cars.

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Thanks guys for the compliments, they gave me a Ford Edge to drive for the day as a loaner while the fix the a/c compressor. I love how roomy and comfortable it is, it should make a great DD for me! I agree with the clutch beign effortless(wayyyy easier/lighter than the cobra) and the shifter is a little sloppy but I think a short throw will fix that. Would like to throw a few mods on there, nice exhaust and what not, I will provide more shots of the car after work today when I pick it up! :rockon:

Thank you also for the advice on what to watch out for as far as the GTO and things to watch for, I will definitley look into fixing those issues and what not. I have a friend with a BADASS h/c/i 06 GTO that knows those cars inside and out and gonna have him go over the entire car for me. I cant wait to start driving it and getting used to it!!

Last edited:

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Smart choice for your situation and nice upgrade! I have a CTS V with the 6.0L for a daily driver and love the motor. Throw a set of long tubes on it and she really wakes up! Congrats!

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Long ass car lol congrats on the purchase either way, long as you're happy with it. there's a red one around where my mom lives, it's nice just lil long for me, sounds mean though everything is blacked out besides the paint.

smitty2919

Established Member
Yup, clutch is a whole lot easier than a cable driven mustang, but it adds to the DD ability of the car.

IMO, don't bother with any shifter other than a GMM shifter, or a MGW-P (Tuner in Ohio named Proxses Tuning custom makes MGW shifters to work in a GTO. It is the combination of a base from a T-45 and the shaft of a T-3650 with some machine work done to it) I put one in my car about 3 weeks ago. The stock shifter is HORRIBLE lol.

Good to know you have a buddy with a 06. He should steer you right with what to look out for.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Congrats. But did you tell the dealership about the low compression.... Probably not I'm assuming.

Sucks if you didnt because whoever buys it is going to have a crap motor and a bunch of headaches. Sorry, but I think thats kind of shitty.

JMO.

The dealership will do a full inspection, unless its a shady ass dealership or ghetto used car lot, and decide what to do from there. If they think they can still fix it and make profit they will, otherwise they will auction it off as-is for what they bought it off op from or a few grand less. They made profit off him already from the GTO sale so all things considered tbey still will come out in the end if the cobra they took loses them money.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
No respectable dealership is going to try to sell a 9 year old modded car with 95k+ miles on it. I'm glad he got out of it when he did and picked up the GTO. It is a really nice car, super clean, and runs real well.

Users who are viewing this thread