Well got rid of the cobra, went to the dark side

s_x_i

Established Member
I don't think that is shitty at all. The dealer will do a complete check of the car before they put it up for sale usually. They don't want any head aches with customers either, so If there are any issues then they will wholesale it and be done with it. No harm done.

The dealer will do anything it can to make money on our friend here when he walked into the doors to buy his car...he should do the same.

Really the only dishonest thing you can do when trying to trade in a car is trying to pass off a salvage title without them knowing it. Anything else is on them. Believe me they make enough money on trade-ins that if they miss a bad motor here and there it ain't gonna matter.

That's ****ed up, and incorrect. If you trade in a car to me and we miss a compression test, I'm out the money to fix it. Thanks asshole, you just wiped out all the profit I could have made on your deal AND all the profit I could have made on your trade in.

m0ore4ustin391

Established Member
Eww bad call OP, I think a trade up from an 03 cobra would be a 08+ c6 vette or Z06 but an 06 GTO? I guess as long as you like it, hope you plan on putting a turbo on it or something.

Tunink

Established Member
Since this is a 6 speed: I would take it easy at the track after your H/C/I as the 6 speed cars tend to break axles left and right.

I don't know if the car is modded or not, but I got the best performance out of mine (mine is an A4) when I let it sit and cool for a very long time, as in 2-3 hours. Once the car hits a certain temp, the ECM pulls timing out of the motor like crazy leaving you with a car that doesn't perform up to par.

The great thing about the 05-06 is it's ability to take the L92/LS3 heads. As a matter of fact there was a set of LS3 heads and an intake with injectors + the works for 800 bucks. Add a matching cam and you could be seeing close to 475+ whp.

Have fun with it. They are decently quick cars, if you understand their little quirks.

smitty2919

Established Member
Since this is a 6 speed: I would take it easy at the track after your H/C/I as the 6 speed cars tend to break axles left and right.

I don't know if the car is modded or not, but I got the best performance out of mine (mine is an A4) when I let it sit and cool for a very long time, as in 2-3 hours. Once the car hits a certain temp, the ECM pulls timing out of the motor like crazy leaving you with a car that doesn't perform up to par.

The great thing about the 05-06 is it's ability to take the L92/LS3 heads. As a matter of fact there was a set of LS3 heads and an intake with injectors + the works for 800 bucks. Add a matching cam and you could be seeing close to 475+ whp.

Have fun with it. They are decently quick cars, if you understand their little quirks.

+1 to all he said. Heatsoak sucks on these things. My GTO beats the hell out of my 03 Mach 1 for it's DD ability in overall comfort/power/interior. I do miss the mustang for it's vast aftermarket of parts though at a lot cheaper price.

Ls2BluGoat

200,000 mile club
Established Member
Just traded the 03 cobra in for a 2006 Pontiac GTO. I love the car, comes with a warranty and only has 51k miles. This is what I wanted for the price, almost bought a 2013 mustang Gt but I can't justify paying $30000+ on a car when im trying to buy a house, got a good deal on the cobra for trade in and a lower interest rate on the Gto so how could I pass? They are installing a new a/c compressor tomorrow morning so I have a 2011 ford escape to drive til I pick it up after work tomorrow. The cobra had low pressure in cylinders 2 and 6 and a new short block was the only other option, with 98k on it, things would continue to break so I made the decision to trade it in while I could.

I will buy another mustang in the future I bleed ford blue, but time to see what government motors has to offer with this nice little 6.0 ;-)

Only pic I have so far

251827_10151071591693408_1087626934_n.jpg

Congrats on your new purchase OP! How long are you planning on keeping it for?

VictorySong

Established Member
That's ****ed up, and incorrect. If you trade in a car to me and we miss a compression test, I'm out the money to fix it. Thanks asshole, you just wiped out all the profit I could have made on your deal AND all the profit I could have made on your trade in.

Yeah, what a dishonest thing to do. It speaks so poorly about your character in general that I am amazed that someone would be stupid enough to post about trading in a broken car. Then again, I never understood those guys who post pictures of pot/stolen stuff on their facebook pages. Perhaps this is the same level of stupidity.:shrug:

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Yeah, what a dishonest thing to do. It speaks so poorly about your character in general that I am amazed that someone would be stupid enough to post about trading in a broken car. Then again, I never understood those guys who post pictures of pot/stolen stuff on their facebook pages. Perhaps this is the same level of stupidity.:shrug:

Insulting me does zero good. They already know about the car and its condition because I told them, they are just gonna sell it at an auction "as is" so i was able to get out of it without dumping money into it and get into a newer reliable car that I will enjoy. He still made money off the deal so it shouldnt even matter, they took it in on trade it was under their descretion on whether to accept it or not, they didnt have to but they did. So before you start calling people stupid and say they have poor character, maybe hear the full story first

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
Insulting me does zero good. They already know about the car and its condition because I told them, they are just gonna sell it at an auction "as is" so i was able to get out of it without dumping money into it and get into a newer reliable car that I will enjoy. He still made money off the deal so it shouldnt even matter, they took it in on trade it was under their descretion on whether to accept it or not, they didnt have to but they did. So before you start calling people stupid and say they have poor character, maybe hear the full story first

v83be1.gif

Last edited:

g8gtowner

Established Member
If you want a DD don't do that, a cammed LSX will give you 9 times the headache than any blown 4valve with a stock longblock.

Sorry your Cobra was a mistreated piece of crap/ Congrats on the GTO.

NA engines even with H/C/I Own FI engines in durability. There is no argument in this.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
If you want a DD don't do that, a cammed LSX will give you 9 times the headache than any blown 4valve with a stock longblock.

Sorry your Cobra was a mistreated piece of crap/ Congrats on the GTO.

You have obvisously lost your mind. Have you ever owned one? I doubt it. I had a 1999 Corvette FRC (See signiture) with H/C/I full exhaust, 4.10 rearend, 150 shot untuned nitrous and so on that NEVER BROKE!

I was pulling low 1.4 60 ft times on drags launching at 4500 rpms leaving the hole on spray and I didnt have to replace a single thing on that car.

OP, Dont believe this BS. The 6.0 is a great motor unless you are speaking of the 6.0L Diesel Ford and Navistar failed miserably at.

Im no Ford hater but I hate inaccurate assholes.

88foxt

MustangGT/F150
Established Member
Congrats on your GTO. You're gonna love it! There is so much truth about the radius rod bushings, even if yours are not bad make it your first upgrade. You won't regret it. Brush the hate off. Enjoy your GTO.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member

That is correct and how a lot of dealerships work. If you miss a compression check then its on you. I Work at a dealer and see this happen from time to time. It's the risk you accept when trying to make money on high mileage vehicles. At the dealer I work at I have actually seen deals reversed and had customers bring the car back if something crazy was discovered after the fact.

Also most dealers purposely low ball trade-ins to cover situations that come up from time to time like this. That's how dealers start you at $5000 for a trade in then go to $10000 if they have to lol.

I understand how that could make you upset but in the car biz its always a risk...... You win some you lose some... the dealer always ends up ahead in the long run.

Edit: chill out no need to call people names here.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Buyer beware extends to any party, dealership, private, etc.

Your overhead should account for boo-boo's like not properly inspecting a trade in before you make that offer on it, especially when someone brings in a 400+HP vehicle. I can see if some soccer mom is bringing in her minivan and trading up to a nicer SUV but when someone brings in a 450HP cobra to buy a 350HP GTO (or whatever, just using an example), that should raise a few eyebrows.

Qwk GT

Established Member
In the case of the OP, I'd guess they couldn't cover it up, so I guess not so bad. But if for whatever reason they could get it to run ok, I'd assume they would try to pass it off. I've read about alot of these cars having a hurt motor, but not enough to raise eyebrows of some as the car still has over 400hp even with it hurting. To a newb who isn't used to the power, they may not know better.

Dealerships sell plenty of crap cars that need work done to it. How many times have you heard of horror storries about buying used cars and needing major work done afterward, only to be shafted because there is no warranty.

Shit, even when I was shopping for my first terminator, one dealership had one for sale that came back with frame damage on the carfax, but they advertised it as clean and never wrecked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread