Well. Guess it's engine rebuild time....

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
ill let you guys know, I have Monday off so ill take it part then. Thanks for the input.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
upload_2017-4-15_14-51-39.jpg
what it looked like

ITSTOCK

Established Member
That's about what mine looked like with 2 minutes of idle time on the blown intercooler.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I'll post pics tomorrow, but it's the intercooler. Has a good size crack in it. Gonna source a used one and hopefully have it together next week

Blueline

Established Member
Good Luck, get it all buttoned up and run a few oil changes to get it flushed well. Depending where it is cracked you may be able to have it fixed locally. Good luck trying to find a used one in good shape, pricey. GL either way!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Happy to hear it's just the intercooler. As Blueline stated follow that good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctgreddy

Established Member
Sucks about the intercooler but that's a hell of a lot better than an engine build! Every year before the cold months start I'll drain my tank and add straight antifreeze. this combined with the mostly water I had in the rest usually results in -30 degree protection. Just make sure if you do it that way you let it cycle for a few minutes.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
considering the cost of the intercooler, I might have to see about having that welded up if I were you. It can be pressure tested after.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I went to get mine fixed after it froze up and there are 1 million other tiny cracks not just the main one, I would guess that with a blowout right there the intercooler is pretty much trashed and a lot of other places

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I already bought a used one off a 50k car off ebay. will be here Friday. also ordered a few new gaskets. only one that looks good is the lower intake gaskets.

Black2010

Established Member
Awesome to read through one of these threads and it not be the engine. Don't sweat it as we all make mistakes. This was a "fairly" cheap reminder for everyone to double check vs assume before storage time comes.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Quick question for you guys. Finally getting around to doing the final touches to get the car running. I just realized that water has been sitting in the cylinders since the issue happened. Should it be fine for could rust have formed in this period of time causing possible issues? I looked in the cylinders with a boroscope and there isn't much water but it's still a noticeable amount.

MG0h3

Established Member
Id crank it over to blow the water out. I think youll be fine; might be some light surface rust but I cant imagine it would have pitted the walls or accumulated enough that would damage the rings while youre cranking.

Probably gonna want to change the oil a couple times once youre all done. Id just get the cheapest oil you can and do two oil changes after just idle time.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Id crank it over to blow the water out. I think youll be fine; might be some light surface rust but I cant imagine it would have pitted the walls or accumulated enough that would damage the rings while youre cranking.

Probably gonna want to change the oil a couple times once youre all done. Id just get the cheapest oil you can and do two oil changes after just idle time.
Current oil is already drained out so I can't spin the motor over. And yeah I plan on doing 2 flushes before putting good oil in

Users who are viewing this thread