Well guys i did it, i BLEW my motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
fubu795 said:
Wanna hit 22 tonight and do some racing Mike, I'm thinkin whoever gets to 160 first wins......

EDIT: Maybe i'll PM Rootus and see if he wants to tag along, I could use a camera man :)

Hehe, I think you'll take me cause you have your governor shut off with your tune and mine will shut off my fuel at 155, D'OH!

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Rootus said:
This whole argument is pointless. Those of you who want to justify driving 160, go ahead and keep trying. Explain to yourself the difference between a 30 mph closure rate (speeding at 100 mph) and a 90 mph closure rate (speeding at 160 mph).

And on the original topic of the blown motor, just pony up and pay for it. You seem to think that Ford should pay for it, even though YOU broke it. I can understand your reasoning, flawed though it may be, because you are staring at a fairly large bill and it scares you. That does not make it right, however.

To those that think Ford should pay, please think that through. Where do you think Ford gets the money to pay for his repair? From YOU. I'm all for having warranty coverage, and I'm willing to pay the extra bucks when I buy the car -- it's insurance, basically. I am not interested in financing someone else's hobby though. If you can't afford to pay for your hobby out of your own pocket, find something cheaper.

No ones trying to justify anything..just state that hypocrits should think about there own actions before they bash others...

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
If Ford warranties this, then they must cover may others with fewer mods. A lawyer could make a field day of preferencial treatment on warranty claims.

"I think because my skin is darker, they wouldn't cover me."

Last edited:

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
Ford Svt Rep

I was talking with my service rep at my local SVT dealer and he was showing me a 03 Cobra in the service bay with a blown motor. He told me that they have had 3 so far and that the SVT rep came in and denied warranty repair due to abuse. He told my that the the car's ECU records up to the last five over rev or misfire periods and that the infomation can only be accessed by the SVT rep. He went on to say, if the car is over reved or misfires, a data log is automatically started and in this case they had hard proof of the engine being abuse using this log. Has anyone else heard this???

A side note: I was reading up on my DS Predator tuner and in the User manual it talks about Live Data Logging. There is a whole section of info you can retrieve from misfires using the DSP in data logging mode, it will show you what cylinder(s) misfired, engine temp, engine RPM, car speed, air intake temp, engine load, throttle position, etc. I't just makes me think that the above could be true, if the data technology is present in the ECU.

Also IMO, these cars are what they are and for $30k you get alot of bang for your buck. If all these problems existed for the average person, Ford should be responsible to make a better product. But the reality is that people including myself want to push these cars as far as they can and that always comes at a price. I was at a local Dyno Shop and they had a new ZO6 with a new pro built motor going in, because the stock motor had a piston with the top blown off. The guy was running a Procharger w/ 7.5 pound boost and grenaded it. I ask the guy running the shop if the owner of the ZO6 took off the Procharger and tried to warranty it at the dealer. He said - No, He made the mistake and is just going to make it better now.

WT

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
fubu795 said:
Yea I'm a "local" at my track. Usually up there every week during racing season.
Cool! Enjoy the racing there. As for me, all I can do is live through the fun the rest of you have at the track. Unless someday in the not too distant future I get another Cobra.
:rockon:

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
fubu795 said:
Wanna hit 22 tonight and do some racing Mike, I'm thinkin whoever gets to 160 first wins......

EDIT: Maybe i'll PM Rootus and see if he wants to tag along, I could use a camera man :)
What if the camera man wins? :beer:

(no, my signature is not accurate, I prefer to keep the current state of my car unknown :))

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Wildthang: I was in the same shop and saw the busted piston. It looked like the others were pretty well scorched too. I just saw the car yesterday and it looks like it is back together without the added boost. A lesson learned?

No Hero

Custom User Title
Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
Yep, my tune was dead on. The car should be fine with the 2.80 upper as long as you don't do those high speed runs where the gas pedal is floored for 35-40 seconds. 1/4 mile passes usually last under 13 seconds and the SC/Motor doesn't get as hot as a long high speed run.

Also, the Apten cooling mod helps, but is a PITA, because you have to drop the tranny (my engine was already out, so it was no big deal). That is only a partial solution though, because it doesn't recirculate the coolant through the radiator, just the heater core.

I also installed the GordsFord HE, but any good aftermarket HE will work, and I installed the Vortech Coolant resevior for the intercooler. It holds something like 300% more coolant than the stock little one, so you have more coolant running through the system (i.e. more time for the coolant to cool off between runs through the engine).

Also, the cooler running Twin screw type blowers run a lot cooler than the roots because the rotor blades aren't touching and causing friction like the Eaton, and because the way it makes boost.

Would a 2.93 pulley also make too much heat on a top end run? What about the stock pulley?

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
Ya know, this thread will help answer a question I've always wondered about -- does Ford bother to read what is said in the various forums? I have always figured SVT has to have someone who keeps tabs on SVTPerformance -- think of it, instant feedback from customers, frank conversation about likes & dislikes, etc. And of course, threads like this. If SVT was paying attention to this forum at all, then the inspector who comes out to look at the car would probably be holding a copy of this thread in his hands. Build number is a pretty good identifier, assuming it isn't fudged. But even without that, how many people just dropped off a black Cobra for a blown up engine and are asking for warranty coverage? I think if I were trying to dishonestly get something covered under warranty, I would avoid posting all about it on SVTP, just in case... :D

Dave

PARALYZER

Unatural Aspirations
Established Member
Rootus said:
Ya know, this thread will help answer a question I've always wondered about -- does Ford bother to read what is said in the various forums? I have always figured SVT has to have someone who keeps tabs on SVTPerformance -- think of it, instant feedback from customers, frank conversation about likes & dislikes, etc. And of course, threads like this. If SVT was paying attention to this forum at all, then the inspector who comes out to look at the car would probably be holding a copy of this thread in his hands. Build number is a pretty good identifier, assuming it isn't fudged. But even without that, how many people just dropped off a black Cobra for a blown up engine and are asking for warranty coverage? I think if I were trying to dishonestly get something covered under warranty, I would avoid posting all about it on SVTP, just in case... :D

Dave

You are right! I wouldnt have said $hit on the boards. They do read them.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
please...

BLWN03 said:
Ahhhh...but you never metioned if there were families around you going 100mph RACING another car....c'mon man just realize not to pass judgement on people if you yourself do the same dumb shizit every other Testosterone fueled male with a fast car does. If you don't race or drive fast why didn't you buy a Toyota carolla?.........cause they're SLOW!!! :D ....see my point.

I think you'll think before you type a hypocritical statement like that again..cause azzholes like me who are sarcastic smartass' love these kinds of opportunities...No hard feelings....just my opinion being stated of course.... :banana:

160 is NOT the same as 100 mph. You have a lot LESS control at 160 than 100. Not a little bit less, but tons. Sure you can kill someone at 100... you're MUCH more likely to lose control and kill someone at 160 than 100 though.

hj16

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
C'mon Saleen...not even close to the same thing. But if that did happen, should Ford pay for it???? Hmmm??? I give you your props on one thing...you are not trying to hide the mods. That would be fraud. If the SVT rep knows you did a pulley swap and agrees to warranty your motor, then count your blessings. Here's the deal...Ford agreed to warranty the vehicle AS DELIVERED!! Any deviation from that is cause for denial. PERIOD. Now, we all know there are a few things we can do and they don't care. But there are some (pulley) that change the original configuration that they usually won't. Any attempt to receive warranty under false pretenses is fraud. It's simple...you play (and Saleen...you REALLY play!) you pay. Ford didn't sign on to sponser you when you bought the car...

As far as a lean condition on 7 and 8, we all know this is an issue with these cars. However, there are the same issues with A LOT of vehicles by all manufacturers. It's just physics! Many times it's a packaging issue getting the engine assy to fit the car that causes a compromise in the intake manifold. Other times it's a design issue. They exist. We have to learn to live with them. Ford feels the compromise was safe on the car if run as delivered...and probably is. Geez...I remember my old Olds 455 NHRA stocker. It ran lean as hell on # 7. The problem didn't present a serious issue until we started pushing the envelope with the engine. Then we had to do some serious head scratching to get past it. At no time did I ever consider calling Olds and want the problem fixed...or consider blaming them.

For the rest of this, I/m sure I'm going to get my butt flamed good, but I feel it needs to be said. (1) Ford designed this car and warranties it to be run the way they intended and built it. When they did their cost analysis, they know that if the car was pushed to it's extremes, they would have warranty issues. They also knew that very few would push it that far in stock trim, so the fine balance of performance vs warranty cost was acceptable to them. This is all determined by exhaustive testing and bean counters. Once you mod the car, it is your responsibility to pay for any necessary repairs. Period. I honestly can't understand how anyone can expect Ford to pay for something they didn't build...even if it's for a known problem. Once it's modded...IT ISN'T THEIR CAR ANY LONGER!!

(2) Saleen...you are an absolute lunatic. I pray that the cops find you some day driving like that and throw you UNDER the jail for a long, long time. If you hit a rabbit at that speed, it could cause a horrific accident. If you choose to die that way, that's your business and it's between you and God. But you have absolutely no right to take the chance on killing someone else. If I saw you doing that, I would turn your butt in. Grow up young man...and do it before you kill yourself.

Take the car to a track.
:beer:

When everyone bought this car, it came with a warranty that entitled you to repairs as delievered only.... the CAI, Cat Back and other little mods are bonuses, but soon as you slap that pulley on there you've agreed to the "pay to play" scenario..... if it blows up when you're running 15psi its your problem, whether its a known problem or not. Ford holds NO responsibility at that point. I for one hope they catch you and deny your claim. Its all this bullshit about people blindly modding their cars with this notion that they can put it back to stock and screw Ford that will **** us all over when Ford pussifies every Mustang made and makes every single one NA just so they wont have to deal with this bullshit anymore.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Good lord how much money do you think ford has wrapped up in the Cobra. In case you haent noticed it has the worlds best selling truck, and about 30 other model choices. you guys act like ford is a small buisness that is at risk of going under at any minute. They sell billions of cars all around the world. And they make billions of dollars in PROFIT every year. Im sure the 15 or so people that have actually blown a cobra motor and are lookin for warrenty coverage is not fords biggest problem. :rollseyes

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Rootus said:

Dave
It's a known fact that Ford types browse these forums. The consensus is don't sweat it I guess. Most of us have long stopped worrying about it.

On a side note, one of our members here had their car in for service and the service reps (two of them) took the car out for a Ferris Bueller type experience. They beat on the car pretty good. Then they posted their experience on another forum. Well, the owner of the car saw the post and the fun began. At one point I heard that this particular thread was the most viewed in the country. It made newspapers and tv. The two stupid reps got fired and the dealer got sued. Don't ask for details about the lawsuit. The owner of the car didn't devulge the details except to say that everything worked out in the end. The bottom line is that we all should remember that these are public forums and anything we say can and will be used against us in a court of law. LOL!

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
SALEENGTROUSH said:
exactly!!! .... some im guessing if you hate speeding so much rootus, and 04vert...then im sure you have 0 03-04 cobra racings videos...like none of blades, none of blwn03, lthl psi, griffin, svt dubs, etc... cause all they do is go over the speed limit... cause if im correct on what your sayin, then those videos would be stupid and dangerous, so you wouldn;t like them :nono:

why you gotta bring me into this??? ;-)
I cant wait to see the new plans. I just built my motor before it would have blown because I race the vipers/GT2 porsches...etc etc on the highway, enclosed of course :bs: , and I knew the heat would kill the motor. This way, with the newer pistons, it will hold up a little better. :banana:

Good luck bro, Ill be looking for some of your posts :read:

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
BAD 97 WS-6 said:
You are right! I wouldnt have said $hit on the boards. They do read them.

Ya, it's like that Ford tech that went on some Mustang Forum(I forget which one right now) a while back and told about hell driving this customer chicks car, he even posted her personalized lic. plate on his thread when boasting about it. And then got his ass canned and his dealership in trouble. :bash:

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
SALEENGTROUSH said:
well i know my tune was good... i know im goin to get thrashed for saying this butt oh well.... the reason y i melted the piston is because it got to hot!! i was racing a sti, and he was in front of me cause he took off.... so i was chasing him down for like almost a mile.... i had my car in 5th gear pinned at 160 at like 6300-6500 rpms for like 15 seconds.... and then went into 6th for like 10 more seconds while it was pinned at 160.... so.... i finally pass him up.... slow down, then he trys to fly past... so i downshift into 4th, and i hear big time detonation, so i let off and took the next exit....soon as i get to the red light... TICK TICK TICK, so i dunno :shrug:
Sounds like you spun a rod bearing. :read: Everyone I know who has spun a rod bearing has done it doing the same thing as you, but in different cars, mostly '98-'00 LS1s.

V8Mustang

Established Member
On a side note, one of our members here had their car in for service and the service reps (two of them) took the car out for a Ferris Bueller type experience. They beat on the car pretty good. Then they posted their experience on another forum. Well, the owner of the car saw the post and the fun began. At one point I heard that this particular thread was the most viewed in the country. It made newspapers and tv. The two stupid reps got fired and the dealer got sued. Don't ask for details about the lawsuit. The owner of the car didn't devulge the details except to say that everything worked out in the end. The bottom line is that we all should remember that these are public forums and anything we say can and will be used against us in a court of law. LOL!

Since this thread has gotten off track I may as well ask if there is a way to make the car near "beat-proof" before I take mine in for warranty work? Eliminating boost would be the best way. I figure there probably is but if the dealer notices whatever that may be, they may deny any warranty work saying I had mods.

I may be paranoid but I have a few friends that have worked as mechanics at various dealers for many years and I heard stories like what you mentioned. Unfortunately for me, I bought the car new ('04 about two weeks ago) but it had 150 miles on it and the trans is noisy and the right side of the engine ticks. No telling how it was beat before I bought it. It needs to go in but who knows what will be done after I leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread