What all bushings and other areas can I lubricate in the rear end to quiet down some pops, creaks, and clunks?

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Slowly working my way through the car since I’m up there in mileage and wear.

i have some creaks, some pops, some squeaks, and some clunks- mainly from the rear. I’ll be getting under the car tomorrow since I’m swapping to Amsoil 0w40 anyway.

want to know what I can hit with silicone grease to quiet things down a bit.

I did have the rear end rebuilt by ford recently so there’s a possibility some bolts on some things have worked themselves out too (you just never know) So I’ll check bolts as well.

Finally, is there an internally lubricates bushing in a control arm that goes bad on these cars often? I seem to remember something about that.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless you’ve replaced the sway bar, or upper/lower control arms, I don’t think anything has grease fittings.

As you’d stated, get under there and inspect what has been touched by Ford.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I’d look for noticeable wear & spray lubricant on any rubber & see what it does.
With the mileage, replacement of bushings might be in order soon.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have aftermarket control arms, you have provision for lubrication. These can wear out over time too, so I can't hurt to inspect them by removing them. If it's factory rubber, lubricant is not something that will fix the situation. It may quiet it temporarily, but will just deteriorate the rubber faster. Clunks are never a good thing. Dry poly will squeak. Use only a synthetic lubricant if you have poly bushings.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
If you have aftermarket control arms, you have provision for lubrication. These can wear out over time too, so I can't hurt to inspect them by removing them. If it's factory rubber, lubricant is not something that will fix the situation. It may quiet it temporarily, but will just deteriorate the rubber faster. Clunks are never a good thing. Dry poly will squeak. Use only a synthetic lubricant if you have poly bushings.
I’m all OEM. i definitely have a nice clunk when shifting weight or going over uneven surfaces so somethings not right somewhere.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
What all are people swapping? LCAs, sway bar bushings, and what else?

my biggest pet peeve is a noisy car.

I'm going to assume your springs are stock to.

Rear suspension;
Lower Control Arms Box style non adjustable
Adjustable Pan Hard Bar
Upper Control Arm with mount
Polyurethane bushings for everything.
Use the PRESCRIBED grease only. I use Amsoil red synthetic

If you have no plans to lower car, this will be fine.
If you plan on lowering the car, than get adjustable upper and lower control arms and relocation brackets for the LCAs

Blkblk13car

Established Member
I'm going to assume your springs are stock to.

Rear suspension;
Lower Control Arms Box style non adjustable
Adjustable Pan Hard Bar
Upper Control Arm with mount
Polyurethane bushings for everything.
Use the PRESCRIBED grease only. I use Amsoil red synthetic

If you have no plans to lower car, this will be fine.
If you plan on lowering the car, than get adjustable upper and lower control arms and relocation brackets for the LCAs
thanks for the write up. I put in new bilsteins (I found a new set cheap) about 30k back but other than that im all stock. I’ll start collecting the parts for the suspension now. might grab the grease in the mean time just to hot the bushings to try to temporarily kill the noise since it’s driving me nuts.

somehow i swear my caliper clips are squeaking as well (I think) so I’ll hit that as well.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for the write up. I put in new bilsteins (I found a new set cheap) about 30k back but other than that im all stock. I’ll start collecting the parts for the suspension now. might grab the grease in the mean time just to hot the bushings to try to temporarily kill the noise since it’s driving me nuts.

somehow i swear my caliper clips are squeaking as well (I think) so I’ll hit that as well.

All of my cars that had >35k miles on them, showed signs of break down, dry rotting and cracked rubber OEM bushings. Like, completely deteriated upon removal of suspension components. All the cars had been southern, dry climate units.

Also, some components may have a long wait time to ship.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
All of my cars that had >35k miles on them, showed signs of break down, dry rotting and cracked rubber OEM bushings. Like, completely deteriated upon removal of suspension components. All the cars had been southern, dry climate units.

Also, some components may have a long wait time to ship.

Seems pretty common that the bushings look fine but turn to dust when you pull em for 197s. Wondering if it’s roughly same to just buy new components rather than trying to press out and press in new bushings (or the shop time that would be required).

Users who are viewing this thread