What car is right for me ?

blake_colvin

Established Member
Hello to all the SVTP Military members of the site.

I am SPC Colvin. Ive been in for almost 2 years, out of ft campbell ky stationed in ramadi iraq.

I have owned a long list of cars ranging from s-10, h22 crx, dakota rt's, and my favorite a procharged 97 cobra, and now my current car a rather gay 2010 mazda 6, not to include about 5 more.

My question is what car is right for me and my needs/wants.

ive tossed the idea of buying a second car but i really dont care for my mazda so i want to get rid of it and get something different.

This is what im needing as many military members may have experinced before, hince the reason im posting this here.

1. room to haul at least one full size tough box, trunk or back seat doesnt matter.
2. from campbell i live about 420 miles from home.. so id like to get at least 20mpg hwy.
3. comfort as ill be riding in the car for about 7 hours at a time.

this is what i want.

1. low 12's with little work.
2. a good handling car cus im not only a straight line guy but im about 80drag /20twisties
3. capable of running low 11's high 10's later down the road.
4. last but not least the car needs to have low low millage and cost around 20k

I know im asking this on a svt site but im not biased to any car except id like to have a v8 and a manual.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
IMO the perfect car is in your sig 03/04 cobra, although I dont know if a tough box would fit in the trunk. Maybe an evo??

blake_colvin

Established Member
LOL im good on the evo mang and yea honestly its a tie between the lsz gto and an 03/04 cobra.

i posted this on ls1tech as well so i can get both biased opinions lol

only issue is i never test driven an 03/04 cobra but have driven an 01 cobra and owned a 97 cobra.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
How about a lightning? I dont know how they ride for a 7hr drive, but it might be worth considering.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
How about a lightning? I dont know how they ride for a 7hr drive, but it might be worth considering.

I used to drive 8hrs straight in mine. Its not bad, a lot more comfy than one would think. the seats get a little hard after about 4hrs but there not bad at all. My L got 18mpg on the highway 16mpg in town. And there is nothing like beating sports cars in a truck.

blake_colvin

Established Member
I have highly considered the lightning and the srt10 for that matter.. but the highway millage isnt where id like it to be..

however i have not completly ruled it out yet.

as for the jeep srt8.. way out of my price range even for a used one and yea ive had two dodge dakota rt's both got about 15-16mpg highway.. lol
thats why i have almost ruled out the srt10 is cus there good for about 13-15mpg hwy lol

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
What about an older SHO Taurus? Not the sportiest looking, but they can be clean with a few little mods. And pretty quick with the little V8 they came with. Should be enough trunk/backseat space for items too. Great fuel MPG from what i've heard.

No idea on the price or finding a low mileage one.

white5.0

Established Member
How about an 05-09 Mustang GT? Those can be had cheaply and they get north of 20 on the highway. The "boot" is decent too?....

blake_colvin

Established Member
What about an older SHO Taurus? Not the sportiest looking, but they can be clean with a few little mods. And pretty quick with the little V8 they came with. Should be enough trunk/backseat space for items too. Great fuel MPG from what i've heard.

No idea on the price or finding a low mileage one.

Im not really into those much at all and never really liked sedans lol
if i wanted a sedan it would be an sti or evo or charger srt8 lol

How about an 05-09 Mustang GT? Those can be had cheaply and they get north of 20 on the highway. The "boot" is decent too?....

Ive looked at those alot but im afraid one would need alot of work to push them into the low 12's. like heads cam intake and it might run 12.1X 1/4 mile and thats alot of coin.

Im looking at a ws6 more and more, ive had people in the military tell me they had trans ams and can fit a tough box in them pretty easy and i always liked the car and they can be had for the cheap there just hard to find

TaraFirma

Established Member
They are hard to find because they were garbage and they are all broke down and in salvage yards by now.
Get a new 5.0 through ENCS. It's everything you are looking for. The regular tough box will fit in the trunk, or the back seat, but if what you have is one of the big Staley boxes with wheels, a truck will be about the only thing that will fit in. Very little $$ will put you well in the 12's and the cars are awesome in the corners too.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
why spend 20K when 15K can get you a very clean lightning plus mods. Sounds like thats the one for you.

On another note, I find the any sn95 or new edge very comfortable, get low 20's on highway and you can find on the goes 11's easy.

blake_colvin

Established Member
why spend 20K when 15K can get you a very clean lightning plus mods. Sounds like thats the one for you.

On another note, I find the any sn95 or new edge very comfortable, get low 20's on highway and you can find on the goes 11's easy.

Yea i have looked into the lightning but im afraid the gas millage isnt all that great lol

and ive had a 97 cobra id love to have another, it just takes sooo much to make them quick and same with the new edge's. cam, bolt ons new edge and your making around 300whp and only running 12.5X if your lucky..

They are hard to find because they were garbage and they are all broke down and in salvage yards by now.
Get a new 5.0 through ENCS. It's everything you are looking for. The regular tough box will fit in the trunk, or the back seat, but if what you have is one of the big Staley boxes with wheels, a truck will be about the only thing that will fit in. Very little $$ will put you well in the 12's and the cars are awesome in the corners too.

Yea its hard to find a decent Fbody, especially a ws6.
I cant go through ENCS because if i got a new 5.0 id have to trade in my current ride 2010 mazda6.. but ive test drivin the new 5.0 a few times and i love the car itself and the power curve and how it rides but dont care for the interior much and i find it hard to pay 25-28k for something im not in love with considering ive done it once for this gay ass mazda6 lol
(i fit a tough box with wheels in the back seat of my mazda6..) lol

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Payoff the mazda 6, then buy a 04 Cobra.. My DD is a 07 Mazda 3 and my other car is in my sig.. Trust me when the Cobra breaks, or when you modify you need a good reliable car to fall back on.

blake_colvin

Established Member
Payoff the mazda 6, then buy a 04 Cobra.. My DD is a 07 Mazda 3 and my other car is in my sig.. Trust me when the Cobra breaks, or when you modify you need a good reliable car to fall back on.

I havent been able to save up that kind of coin over here yet..

and unfortunatly i have only had my mazda6 since like december last year so i still owe a good bit on it..

my best bet is to buy a car and pay cash for it, ill have about 8k to play with so ive been looking and im thinking of getting either a t/a or ws6 or formula or a notch back foxbody..

truefiveo

Established Member
Looks dude low 12s and 20mpg don't exactly go hand in hand unless you looking at

buick gnxs
lancer evos
WRX STIs
BMW 335is
GMC Sylcone or Typhoons

blake_colvin

Established Member
Looks dude low 12s and 20mpg don't exactly go hand in hand unless you looking at

buick gnxs
lancer evos
WRX STIs
BMW 335is
GMC Sylcone or Typhoons

03/04 cobra's have gotten 20mpg hwy.. stock geard mach1's get 20mpg hwy

not to forget Fbody's.. camed ls1 cars get 20mpg hwy in some cases 20+ depending on gears.. and so do GTO's..

im not disagreeing with you im just saying the cars im looking at do get that kind of gas millage

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure you check the insurance rates for the cars as well.

I had an 03 Cobra and the insurance killed me at 19/20 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread