What is this for?

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Just been wondering what's the original function of the port that you plug the chip into?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Bro, not sure what u mean? :shrug:

Looks like the spot were the factory / after market chips go in.
Does it have glue or is it all jacked up?

FX-Man

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Bro, not sure what u mean? :shrug:

Looks like the spot were the factory / after market chips go in.
Does it have glue or is it all jacked up?

Correct, it is where the chip plugs in, I'm just curious as to what it's original purpose is? In other words why did Ford put it there? Is there another purpose other than plugging in a chip?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have always wonder why that was there..Maybe its for testing/flashing the board prior to installation into a car?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by FX-Man
Correct, it is where the chip plugs in, I'm just curious as to what it's original purpose is? In other words why did Ford put it there? Is there another purpose other than plugging in a chip?

I think they intentionally put it on that spot. Make it PITA to access it for every one vs having it in plain site for every one to mess with a unit that is very expensive & tender.

But the pic looks bad. The connection looks a bit chewed up like they were forcing some thing on it :shrug:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I think they intentionally put it on that spot. Make it PITA to access it for every one vs having it in plain site for every one to mess with a unit that is very expensive & tender.

But the pic looks bad. The connection looks a bit chewed up like they were forcing some thing on it :shrug:

He cleaned it for a chip. I see the DiabloSport tube in the background.:beer:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Ohhhh....
Thats the contacts for the chip....cant see FORD having any other uses for it.

The Diagnostic Ports on the driver side & nothing but the contacts seem out of place. :)

Juiced-03

Established Member
It is a diagnostic port used by Ford to make changes to the ecu and for reflashing purposes. Thats what a mechanic at my work told me at least.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
It is a diagnostic port used by Ford to make changes to the ecu and for reflashing purposes. Thats what a mechanic at my work told me at least.
I always used the port under the dash to flash the PCM.:shrug:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I always used the port under the dash to flash the PCM.:shrug:

True,,,I guess if one wanted to flash the PCM but didnt have a way to get the whole car to Ford they could always just send it by mail :shrug: I dunno! :D

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
The origonal purpose of that connector is for the initial programming as the pcm goes down the line. It could also theoretically be used for diagnostics of the pcm itself (ie, Q.C. by the mfr of the pcm).

Other than that, just remember that ford makes the pcm so that they can be chipped, it's part of the technology transfer program that steeda, diablo, roush, and saleen participate in.

FX-Man

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic 03 Cobra
The origonal purpose of that connector is for the initial programming as the pcm goes down the line. It could also theoretically be used for diagnostics of the pcm itself (ie, Q.C. by the mfr of the pcm).
Hadn't thought of that, thanks

Other than that, just remember that ford makes the pcm so that they can be chipped, it's part of the technology transfer program that steeda, diablo, roush, and saleen participate in.
This is what comes to mind initially but it just a bit odd, kinda like "here's a port to chip yer car, HA! no warranty for YOU!

But the pic looks bad. The connection looks a bit chewed up like they were forcing some thing on it
Yep the pic is bad however the connection is fine, the pic is a blowup of a small bit of the actual shot, then highly compressed to be kind to those on dial-up.

Last edited:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by FX-Man

This is what comes to mind initially but it just a bit odd, kinda like "here's a port to chip yer car, HA! no warranty for YOU!

In the new SVT Enthusiast, there's a good article discussing chips and pullies and why they void warranties.

Users who are viewing this thread