What is this insect?

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
We have seemed to develop a nest somewhere in the back yard and they like the kids fort. I havent found the nest yet but I cant figure out what these are. They dont seem to bother me when I walk up to them but I just dont like the idea of a wasp/hornet stinging a little kid and if they are allergic to them. I was able to kill one and they look like a wasp head, but the wings are huge like a moth. I would say they are an inch to 1 1/4 long and 3/16 wide
unknownwaspbeehornet.png

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Ok thanks now I can research to try to get them out of my yard

No problem. Just don't do what a friend of mine did. He found two holes covered one with a bucket and filled the other with gasoline. Damned near blew himself up. Ironically, he was a cop.

BM1

Established Member
Yellow Jacket traps might work. Give those a try. They're cheap.

Rpunisher

Established Member
Looks like a Ground Hornet. Sometimes called Cicada killer wasps or Cicada Hawks. Not positive.

Here is a website UF/IFAS Okeechobee Extension Service

exactly... they jump cicadas and inject there eggs inside and the babies hatch and use the cicada for food.

btw...there fun to hit with a badmitten racket and getting stung hurts like a bi*ch

dooberGN

Established Member
They are harmless and quite fun to follow around and see them go about their day.

Plus a cicada flew down my shirt a couple days ago so **** them.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Cicada killer wasps, unfortunately I have them in my yard. They are a pain, the females are the only ones that sting. The best thing we did was hit them with tennis raquets and then spray with starter fluid. They keep coming back every year, very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread