What is your idle at with your Dragon TB?

What is your idle at with your Dragon?

• 750 - 850 (stock)

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • 850 - 950

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 950 - 1050

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • 1050 - 1150

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 1150 - 1250

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 1250 +

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Just as the title says. I've done all the procedures to get the idle down multiple times over the last 3 weeks and just wondering what your idle is at. I have my TPS set at .965 and the car pretty much sits between 1000-1200 no matter what my TPS is set at. I'm being told it'll get better, but I guess only time will tell.

So, please vote and also post what your TPS is set at. My car is a DD, so I would venture to say I have about 500 miles on this set up.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
From what iv researched its all in the tune to fix the idle issue. Have you tried that already?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
From what iv researched its all in the tune to fix the idle issue. Have you tried that already?

I'm reading both. I didn't tune my last car and I just got a text back saying his idle is at 750-850. He said it just took awhile.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Mine was just like stock idle. When i did the install, Tps set .98, I let the car idle untouched for 10 mins, shut down, restart and drive easy for 50 miles and never had an idle issue.

SVTDice

Established Member
Mine is odd, Sometimes it will idle around 950-1000. Now it idles at 1150 or so. It doesnt really bother me but I kind of want to fix it. I've heard of adding a spring to it to help it idle better?

ctgreddy

Established Member
there was just a thread about this and adding a second spring was said to just be a band aid for not fixing the whole problem. if you've tried everything that is on this forum for setting the idle yourself, then your car must be one of those picky ones that needs to get tuning adjustments.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
I was having idle problems etc, then I got a tune problem fixed, it stays steady at 900 with the tps at .96

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I was having idle problems etc, then I got a tune problem fixed, it stays steady at 900 with the tps at .96

Did you just leave the TPS voltage that low or bring it up at all? Been talking with cobracide and he was able to raise it back up with the idle remaining at 900. Mine has dropped to 1000 in 3 days, so the computer is learning

my92gt

Established Member
Have you tried billet flows instructions to set the idle?? Did you adjust the throttle screw?? I know it's a dragon TB but their procedure worked for me.

Tractionless1

Established Member
If you have anything other than stock and it's not on purpose you have some work to do. Additionally your idle RPM can be commanded in your tune. If your having to hold the plate open so it doesn't stick thus causing a high idle, get with Dragon, they fixed my clearance issues free of charge.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Did you just leave the TPS voltage that low or bring it up at all? Been talking with cobracide and he was able to raise it back up with the idle remaining at 900. Mine has dropped to 1000 in 3 days, so the computer is learning

I left it as is, seems be working why Change it ?

I added a return spring and did the instructions from bf, tuner said I should have left it alone and that it a tuning thing. I did put 300mile before a tune though,

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I never had a problem.
But...I had to notch the hell out of my coil cover on the PS side so the IAC would not hit.

It is possible it is hitting, and causing the elbow to leak at the blower.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Get with your tuner, for sure. Mine will hang around 1100 for a bit when i first flash the car but it is down to around 850-900 normally

This sounds like mine

Rudy

I'd like to not have to do this if at all possible. I see a lot of people with a good idle and no tune.

Mine was just like stock idle. When i did the install, Tps set .98, I let the car idle untouched for 10 mins, shut down, restart and drive easy for 50 miles and never had an idle issue.

left it at .98 for a week and kept getting a TPS related CEL P0507. Since dropping it down to .965, no light and idle is considerably better. Just wanna see if it drops more....I'm hoping for 900ish

Mine is odd, Sometimes it will idle around 950-1000. Now it idles at 1150 or so. It doesnt really bother me but I kind of want to fix it. I've heard of adding a spring to it to help it idle better?

Spring is a no no. I would see how your TPS is looking. When I first did it, I didn't notch it enough and the TPS that started at .965 went back to .98 and my idle went up. I notched it a little more so that I had some more play and so far so good. Gonna recheck the TPS in a few weeks and make sure it stays there. :beer:

there was just a thread about this and adding a second spring was said to just be a band aid for not fixing the whole problem. if you've tried everything that is on this forum for setting the idle yourself, then your car must be one of those picky ones that needs to get tuning adjustments.

This. There are actually a LOT of threads. I would venture to say that I've read close to every "dragon high idle" thread on these forums as well as on other forums.

Have you tried billet flows instructions to set the idle?? Did you adjust the throttle screw?? I know it's a dragon TB but their procedure worked for me.

I did. The PO of the TB backed the screw out completely, which isn't helping. I screwed it in to touch and then another half turn, so the blade is slightly open.

Procedure I followed
-warm up car
-set TPS to .98 (Like I said, I had to go lower, I'm at .965)
-unplug IAC
-set idle
-unplug battery
-pump brakes and turn on headlights
-plug IAC in
-hook up battery
-re-check TPS voltage
-start car
-"no touchy" throttle and just let the idle come down.

I let it sit for 5-10 min at idle and then I've been driving. In three days there has been a HUGE improvement, but my car is a DD, so its had a lot of use. I'm hoping for just a touch more. It tends to settle right at or above 1000 right now.

If you have anything other than stock and it's not on purpose you have some work to do. Additionally your idle RPM can be commanded in your tune. If your having to hold the plate open so it doesn't stick thus causing a high idle, get with Dragon, they fixed my clearance issues free of charge.

I'm surprised you got a hold of them. I hear just getting a response is a trick in itself ;-)

I left it as is, seems be working why Change it ?

I added a return spring and did the instructions from bf, tuner said I should have left it alone and that it a tuning thing. I did put 300mile before a tune though,

Interesting. Like I mentioned above, things are sorting themselves out, but the reason for this thread was that I found couple threads where SBTB owners have just said that 900-1000 is "normal" so I wanted to see where everyone was sitting.

I never had a problem.
But...I had to notch the hell out of my coil cover on the PS side so the IAC would not hit.

It is possible it is hitting, and causing the elbow to leak at the blower.
I got lucky, mine is just sitting on the coil cover. First thing I checked for was leaks along the base. I thought the same thing. :beer:

Last edited:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
My IAC motor has been rotated (gently with pair of channel locks), doesnt contact anything. Car idles perfect @ 750-775. And yes, if there's issues ... It's in the tune (or sealing of blade). Your tuner must know how to properly adjust tune, my thinking is because the IAC is relocated.

It's tricky getting any SBTB to seal and idle correctly. Many threads on this. Sometimes requires "very slight" clearencing of blade to housing.... Remember, little at a time.

I don't think any SBTB is a bolt N go.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
This info goes for ALL single blade aftermarket throttle bodys.

There is not one aftermarket single blade throttle body out there that will close and seal exactly like the factory twin bore throttle body. The factory twin bore throttle body has round blades and the singles have oval. By nature the single will never seal the same way a twin bore will.

Hold a stock throttle body up to the light and see how much light shines through around the blades. Now do the same with the aftermarket. You will see what I am talking about.

The IAC valve controls the amount of air bypassing the throttle body so the car can idle. Since the stock throttle body seals very well, the IAC valve needs to flow a certain amount of air to keep the idle correct. If you leave the tune set with the factory values, the IAC valve assumes you have the stock throttle body that seals perfectly. Remember the aftermarket single blade by nature will never seal the same and air will get around the blade and housing causing a high idle. The ECU is doing EXACTLY as it is commanded to do causing the high idle. Adding an extra spring only fights what the IAC valve is trying to control. Byadding the extra spring you only mask the problem, you do not fix it!

If you do not properly set the set screw, set the TP sensor, and Idle air integrator in the tune, you will never have it correct.

Follow the steps below and you will have it working.
Ok, first, the lever MUST rest on the stop screw. Otherwise the throttle position is never the same and the computer don't know what to do , so it idles high.

Quote:
1. Warm up car
2. Turn engine off and REMOVE THE KEY
3. Disconnect negative lead from battery and turn head lights on( this removes the capacitive charge in the system)
4. Connect negative lead to battery
5. Back off the stop screw on the throttle body
6. Start car
7.While grasping the throttle lever with your hand, give it a small amount of throttle and let off SLOWLY.
8. Adjust the stop screw to just meet the lever and give it another 1/8-1/4 turn and, then lock it down.
9. Turn ignition off.
10. Turn key to "ON" position and check TPS voltage. Set to .980 Volts with a Digital Multimeter (Fluke Meters are the most accurate)
11. Turn key off.
12. Repeat steps 1-4 to reset ECU.
13. Turn off Adaptive Learning in your tune so you can make the proper adjustments without the ECU making them for you. (Your tuner should know how to do this)
14. Datalog ISC duty cycle: this value tells you how much the IAC valve is having to stay open in order to control idle. ideally you want to be around 35%.
15. Datalog Idle air integrator- this is a value that correlates with the idle air neutral table values in your tune. They should be fairly close to zero. If it’s negative then you need to take air out of the ISC tables, if it’s positive then you need to add air into the tables. It’ll never be exactly zero. Allow the car to be at operating temp and idling for a few minutes before making a decision on this. In layman's terms- the integrator could be telling your ecu that more air is coming in than what is actually coming in- causing your high idle.
16. Turn on Adaptive Learning in your tune and drive car as you normally would so that the ECU can relearn again.

I would also like to add that due to the nature of single blade throttle bodies being oval, the cam eccentric needs a different profile than stock to make the car respond the same. Most do not have the proper cam eccentric geometry. Accufab, for example has a cam eccentric from a 2000 Cobra R. Which causes the cruise control to "Hessitate" when engaging.

Also, this is why most people "Feel" like the single blade throttle body gives them more "Throttle Response" It's all relative to the cam eccentric.

Given the same amount of flow, a twin bore throttle body will make the same amount of power as the single blade yet it will provide a much more stable foundation due to the shaft having a support in the middle between the blades as opposed to the single having no support in the middle.

On High HP applications a single blade can actually "Bend" upon closing. This is one of the resaons you see OEM's choose large twin bore throttle bodies over single. "A La Ford GT", "GT 500", etc....

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread