What kind of cams?

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
I have a 2000 gt and im tryin to figure out what cams will produce the most power without straining my motor........i have all the usual mods, pulleys, intake, gear, tune ect...... any idea?

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
Depends on your goal for the car. If its a daily driver looking for more power some comp cams 262 cams are very nice. Looking for a hotter cam setup for street strip? then the comp cams 270 cams are very nice and make great power. There is also hitech stage 1 and 2's which fall into both the categories also. And crower cams etc...

BCM0018

Established Member
Depends on what your willing to put up with. I have comp 278's but had to have the pistons notched. 270's would probablly work. Just have to put up with the car shaking and make sure to get it tuned.

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
i dont care about my car shaking or anything, thats what i want! Where do i get these cams at and what are yalls thoughts on crowler cams?

BCM0018

Established Member
should i get the comp extreme evergy stage 2 or 3 cams?

I have stage 3 and it required notching my pistons. If you want to go through all that trouble I love them. Other than that I would go stage 2, I believe you will be okay but see if anyone with them chimes in.

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
wtf do you mean they dont come in stages? go to rpmoutlet.com then tell me they dont come in stages...............

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
stg1 262ah .550lift 226/230 -low +mid tq w moderate top end -slight idle

stg2 270ah .550lift 234/238 -needs min. 3.55 gear/2000 stall, intake, exhaust-noticeable idle

stg3 278ah .550lift 242/246 - needs min. 3.73 gear/2400 stall, intake, exhaust - rough idle

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
I forgot to mention that i myself have SHM blower cams
.550 lift 232/242

If you are planning on FI, i highly recommend them.
I have a full exhaust, and i scare the shit out of anyone that i pull up next to lol

Last edited:

BCM0018

Established Member
wtf do you mean they dont come in stages? go to rpmoutlet.com then tell me they dont come in stages...............

Yeah but don't order from them. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!! I would go woth the 270's, the 278's cost me a motor rebuild.

spike_africa

Established Member
They do not come in stages that is ricer bullshit for kids who can't understand what cam profiles are what. They list them like that at the site because many people are clueless when it comes to cam specs. I for one can't stand this crap.

"I have stage 1 cams blah blah blah, weak sauce."

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
ok anyway so you guys think the 270s would be good for my car? I was also thinking about a custom cam from MPH or somewhere

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
I forgot to mention that i myself have SHM blower cams
.550 lift 232/242

If you are planning on FI, i highly recommend them.
I have a full exhaust, and i scare the shit out of anyone that i pull up next to lol

so the idle was nasty? was the power gain noticable?

spike_africa

Established Member
Comp 270ah cams are very nice and the biggest you can go without notching the pistons. They add good power and make for a nice idle. Those cams with long tubes and supporting mods can get you near or at 300rwhp with stock heads on a full bolt on car.

BCM0018

Established Member
Comp 270ah cams are very nice and the biggest you can go without notching the pistons. They add good power and make for a nice idle. Those cams with long tubes and supporting mods can get you near or at 300rwhp with stock heads on a full bolt on car.

I agree. I got 311 rwhp full bolt on with 278's and patroit heads. I have a crappy intake so you could probally match mine with a better intake.

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
well i was planning on getting longtubes and a o/r shorty x pipe and changing my one chamber IRS flowmaster catback to a magnaflow when i get my solid put in. I was looking at a svt focus fuel pump too, i dunno what is better though. The intake i was gonna do a full trickflow or something along those lines.....if yall know where i can get any of that for a good price let me know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread