What kind of cams?

GM H8R

Just a GT
Established Member
278's will work as long as you NEVER take the motor out of it's comfort range, i.e. float a valve, jump a cam gear, break a timing chain. If you plan on beating the car I would stay away from a cam with that much overlap. That's just my 2 cents (which I don't have anymore because I'm rebuliding my engine since I beat on it with 278's).

BCM0018

Established Member
I would not push your luck. On mine the pistons were hitting the valves since day 1. I can send you the pictures to prove it if you would like.

BCM0018

Established Member
Depending on the power your looking for I would replace them. If your staying N/A you can get new ones that bump the compression a little bit or if you want serious power later you can drop compression. The drop will cost you power but in forced induction it will allow you to run more boost which will gain much more than you lost. Also I have heard the stock connecting rods are a weak point of the motor and if you are looking for serious power you should upgrade to a cobra crank. This is starting to get into serious money though. You can also just have the stock pistons notched but I think this requires pulling the motor, I'm not sure if its possible to get them out with the motor in or not. All of this is a lot more work than doing just the cams.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Also the comp 270's are more cam then what meaty has. They have the same lift but more duration which will give you the rougher idle, and most likely more power. However it also has a tendency to shift the power band to the upper rpms.

Yes and no..
The 270's have two degrees more duration on the intake, but the SHM cams have FOUR degrees more duration on the exhaust side, making them a more effective blower spec cam.
Also, FWIW- LSA has more to do with idle quality. duration can be a little misleading.
You are correct about the powerband shift though :beer:

Last edited:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
whats the power difference between the 262 and 270s? I really want it to sound as good as i can without having to re-build my freaking motor!!

Believe it or not, on a bolt on 2V, it may be worth 4 or 5 hp.
But you have to remember that will only come into play above 5500 rpm or so.
also, the 262's will have a good 10 ft lbs on the 270's pretty well through out.

Bottom line- if you were to jump in similiar cars, i guarantee you the 262 car would feel MUCH more responsive and feel alot more satisfying, especially for a DD. besides, how often do you find yourself shifting @ 6000 rpm's on the street?

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
lol alot honestly.................. alright guys i got a bullit intake, patriot stage 2 heads and comp 270 cams............ cant wait to put them in next week and get it tuned!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread