What kind of cams?

BCM0018

Established Member
I went with the professional products one. No one has good things to say about them and I'm tired of messing with my car for now and it runs pretty good in the 1/4. I didn't do my research before buying. I hear the trickflow is sweet and pulls real good up top hp wise but loose about the same amount in tq of what you gain down low. Look into the hardballer, a lot of people seem to like it.

I have a walboro 255 pump that seems to work well but required some modifying to make it fit.

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
I went with the professional products one. No one has good things to say about them and I'm tired of messing with my car for now and it runs pretty good in the 1/4. I didn't do my research before buying. I hear the trickflow is sweet and pulls real good up top hp wise but loose about the same amount in tq of what you gain down low. Look into the hardballer, a lot of people seem to like it.

I have a walboro 255 pump that seems to work well but required some modifying to make it fit.

hardballer? wft is that? ive never herd of that before................ any info?

BCM0018

Established Member
Also the comp 270's are more cam then what meaty has. They have the same lift but more duration which will give you the rougher idle, and most likely more power. However it also has a tendency to shift the power band to the upper rpms.

GM H8R

Just a GT
Established Member
I have the 278's and it's costed me a rebuild also. I floated valve and there's just not enough room for error in the cylinder. I put about 10k miles on the 278's with no problem with stock internals. If I had to do it again I'd get the 270's. But since I'm stroking it to a 302 I'm glad I have the 278's!

BCM0018

Established Member
Damn I only got 1500 out of mine before breaking a valve guide and dropping the peices into the motor. Sounds like we have very similar cars. I only went 20 over with my rebuild though. I want to save up for a nicer car.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
what kinda power gain can i expect? will the idle be rough?

Not as much as you would get if you go with a good set of N/A cams. just too much duration on the exhaust side. but when you strap a huffer on, it makes all the difference in the world when you really get on it, especially on a 2V.
Still, with the long tubes and off road x, you'll still see some impressive gains with blower cams as well. (probably a good 45rwhp or so) go for it. you already said that you are going to be using FI, so you may as well do it right the first time :beer:

Bullitt4859

Established Member
Just wait and get the new Trick Flow 2V heads, then you can run the 278's without notching the pistons or having piston to valve problems, also you get heads that are better than CNC ported heads.... just some food for thought

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
Not as much as you would get if you go with a good set of N/A cams. just too much duration on the exhaust side. but when you strap a huffer on, it makes all the difference in the world when you really get on it, especially on a 2V.
Still, with the long tubes and off road x, you'll still see some impressive gains with blower cams as well. (probably a good 45rwhp or so) go for it. you already said that you are going to be using FI, so you may as well do it right the first time :beer:

were you talking about the 270s?

BCM0018

Established Member
Just wait and get the new Trick Flow 2V heads, then you can run the 278's without notching the pistons or having piston to valve problems, also you get heads that are better than CNC ported heads.... just some food for thought

You sure about that. I know the heads are going to be amazing but how do you know they have extra clearance beween the pistons and valves? The valves on them look much larger so unless they have more clearance straight from trick flow which I don't think they would do for compression ratio I find it hard to believe the 278's would work.

Sorry if this comes across as being a dick. I'm not tryin to be I would really like to know though.

SonicBlueGT1

Established Member

+1...im going with the new trick flow heads and probably 270s. i cant wait!:rockon:

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
my friend has some patriot cams he is selling but he doesnt know the specs, i didnt even know patriot made cams to start with anyway.......any ideas what the specs could be, he bought them from higgins which is a local place like MPH, the owner said there patriot stage 2 cams????? Im kinda iffy about getting them but its a very good deal considering he is a friend.

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
No mine. seriously, considering it's your DD, your probably better off with the 262ah cams. one of the better grinds out there for the street. lots o torque. :beer:

yeah she is my DD but i dont mind it being a rough idle, whats the power difference between the 262 and 270s? I really want it to sound as good as i can without having to re-build my freaking motor!!

gt04pony_13

Established Member
i dont have cams on yet but im really considering the 278ah. to get these will i have to rebuild the motor for valve clearance? and were are u guys reading anything about trickflows new heads?

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
i dont have cams on yet but im really considering the 278ah. to get these will i have to rebuild the motor for valve clearance? and were are u guys reading anything about trickflows new heads?

i dont know thats why I made this thread to find out what cams I should use in MY car!

BCM0018

Established Member

If you get the 278's the pistons will hit the valves. You must get the pistons notched to use them. There is a thread in this section about the heads. Starts with woot woot but I don't remember the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread