What kind of motor oil?

grabber08

Established Member
Bought my 2012 GT500 back in September and getting ready to change oil for the first time. Just wondering what type and weight oil are most people running in their cars?

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
nuke.jpg

Amsoil ... or else UnleashedBeast might explode.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Troy in 3...2...1....

Lol here is what will be suggested to you 10w40 amsoil.

I would absoulutely stick with the Ford recommended weight and I personally use Mobil 1.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I'm on a strict diet of 3 Amsoil shakes a day and damn this stuff works, I'm leaner and meaner then ever

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If you don't use Amsoil, Chuck Norris will hunt you down

Oh noes.....

The Boogie Man is already checking his closet for Chuck Norris before he goes to sleep.

:lol:

I would absoulutely stick with the Ford recommended weight and I personally use Mobil 1.

5W-50 or 15W-50?

What does your oil pressure look like?

Is this in the CJ or the GT500?

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Factory calls for 5w50 on the 500 and CJs. I stick with recommendation from the person who machined and built the engines.(My CJ is a custom build from ground up oil pressure greatly affected by what lash adjusters are used in the car) I've seen oil pressure well over 75psi on 30 weight at over 8,000rpm with solid lash adjusters.

Last edited:
The Beast has provided a great deal of information that more than makes the case for his oil recommendations. He's even posted what an insider, whose had a prominent role in developing these modular motors, has had to say about oil recommendations. He's looking out for the mustang community regardless if he appears compromised because he's an Amsoil dealer.

Ironhand

Banned
Factory calls for 5w50 on the 500 and CJs. I stick with recommendation from the person who machined and built the engines.(My CJ is a custom build from ground up oil pressure greatly affected by what lash adjusters are used in the car) I've seen oil pressure well over 75psi on 30 weight at over 8,000rpm with solid lash adjusters.

You just reminded me to look into an oil pressure gauge setup.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Troy has done a great job of collecting data and answering questions to the best of his knowledge. He's done a lot for the forums community. I'm always weary of people recommending things that they sell(for instance Troy with amsoil and van with the products he sells). I think they need to sell what they believe in and it's obvious that they both heavily bElieve in the products they push. I applaud that, I just have a healthy dose of cynicism to salesmen and am also on guard lol. Personally I think amsoil appears to be a great product.

Asking about oil choices is almost like discussing religions. Lol nothing personal against anyone as just about everyone here is incredibly nice and helpful.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I run Amsoil 10w40. I've used it for years in a number of vehicles and the oil analysis makes me comfortbale with that decision (I also used other brands...Motul,Royal Purple, Castrol, etc over the years). That's also why I stopped using the Ford oil... I don't really care who says what - I send my oil in and have it tested. Opinions are not very useful to me. Do a search on my username and you can see why. Believe it was at the start of the whole oil debate.

Whatever brand you choose, send in an oil analysis to make sure it is meeting your mechanical needs. If it does, great. If not, try another brand.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
The Beast has provided a great deal of information that more than makes the case for his oil recommendations. He's even posted what an insider, whose had a prominent role in developing these modular motors, has had to say about oil recommendations. He's looking out for the mustang community regardless if he appears compromised because he's an Amsoil dealer.

No wonder he hung up on me when I asked for 3 cases of Pennzoil. Actually just use the oil milkshake. A quart of Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, and a 1/2 quart of Prolong and you have the perfect oil. You will have the properities of every oil all rolled into one. Then do a Blackstone Analysis. Can't go wrong:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread