What kind of motor oil?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
it does matter to me - i run the car hard and take it to the strip 6-8 times/year. it seems changing the oil frequently will would be prudent with the refined petroleum. i have oil for 1 more change with the mobil 1.

Even when changing a synthetic formulation that contains refined petroleum more frequently, you have to deal with higher NOACK Volatility (evaporation/burn off). Refined formulations have a NOACK of 10-12%. True synthetic formulations are only around 5-8%.

MC 5W-50 = 12%
Mobil 1 5W-50 = 10%
Amsoil 10W-30 = 5.7%
Amsoil 10W-40 = 6.7%

The lower NOACK a lubricant has, the less oil that will end up vaporizing, then condensing in the catch can (if you have one), supercharger, the intercooler, intake manifold, on the intake valves, and in the combustion chamber. That's one oily mess I try to limit as much as possible.

i have thought of switching to amsoil 10/40, but i am concerned. thanks for your help!

If you check out the UOA thread, you will see that Motorcraft 5W-50 rapidly shears to a heavy 30/light 40 grade lubricant. Some sample have taken 2,000 miles to shear that much, others even less. The reason why I shun the use of MC 5W-50 that is recommended is because Ford knows it shears, they are OK with this fact...and still recommend using this lubricant up to 7,500 miles in the Shelby.

Why not choose a lubricant that will retain a 40 grade viscosity, shear less than 3% over a 4,000-5,000 mile change interval, has low NOACK @ 6%, a more robust additive package, is lighter during cold starts promoting less cold start up wear (MC 5W-50 actually specs as a 20W-50 above 32*F), and has performed better than any MC, Mobil 1, or Castrol 5W-50 sample.

Please keep in mind, this applies to Red Line, Royal Purple, OR Amsoil 10W-40....not Amsoil alone. The reason why I choose Amsoil is because I/anyone can buy it at dealer/wholesale cost. Royal Purple and Red Line would require me/anyone to pay store shelf or internet retail markup. In summary, this is about using a true synthetic base stock formulation in the 10W-40 grade, not just buying Amsoil.

Last edited:

whiplash920

Established Member
i prev used redline 5/50 - for the 1st 2 oil changes (still changed at < 3000 miles). this is my first round with mobil 1. i will keep in mind the info you provided next time i need to buy oil. btw, im using an amsoil oil filter :rolling:

500_man

Established Member
I use Jello, Matrix fluid in a pinch.

matrix-pod.jpg

whiplash920

Established Member
its funny - called mobil 1 here to ask questions pertaining to this...i was met with an individual tat denied it - which i expected.

he went on to say that everyone picks on them b/c they are the best. he then said that not matter how much i grilled him, he wouldnt change his story - i wasnt grilling him - just referenced the above paragraph.

he kept saying i dont know what you want from me - and i hadnt even asked anything at that point..i told him he didnt need to get defensive that i was merely asking questions as a concerned user. he said he needed to move on to other calls b/c he was not getting anywhere with me and that this was taking up other customers time. i told him we've only been talking for a few minutes and i didnt appreciate his attitude and that they prob just lost a customer due to his horrible social skills.

ive always liked mobil 1, but i think im done now...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread