What Mustang would you get?

ModularFan

Established Member
I am having a hard time of wondering what kind of mustang I want to get. at first I wanted to get an 03-04 Cobra, Even though they are still in the 20's for price ranges, It just seems to be out of my reach. And Its killing me not having a mustang.

I have juggle around the idea of getting a sn95 Cobra either the 94-95 with the 5.0 or the 96-98 with the 4.6L But then I was looking at Mach 1's and they are basically a Natrually Asspirated Terminator. Cobra Heads Crank, 99-01 Cobra intake manifold, only downside shitty internals.

I just don't know at this point, should I keep saving for the terminator or just buy a sn95 Cobra whether it be a 5.0 or a 4.6L or buy a Mach 1 with the 4.6L 4v?

I need help. I know if I end up getting a Mach 1, I end up building the bottom end, to withstand the boost. I mean they could withstand a significant amount, but nothing like the Terminator because they are hand built motors obviously, with manley pistons and connecting rods.

Last edited:

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
Mach 1 :rockon:
i always wanted a white one. make sure to get one with the 5 speed cuz they at least had the forged cranks in them

4valvemach

Established Member
It would come down to what you want a nice DD or a car that you can race with right away.I got my mach because my 06gt just did not do anything for me.Plus the mach was azure blue and the shaker scoop is cool as hell and you dont see mach 1's alot.The cobra's at that time still stood at 30k and that was way to much.I'll be happy to sell my mach and go back to my 87-93 5.0's a much better all around car IMO.

Price the mach is a good bang for the buck they can be had for 10-15k
or a 99-04 GT with a kenne bell.

stangposse

Established Member
What's the most you want to spend? In the last few days there have been some great deals on termis in here....$16k-$18k.

I might sell my 93 Fox.

4valvemach

Established Member
You can find a cobra for under 20k but you may need to travel for it.Have you found out what the insurance is going to cost you for that cobra.

Young men + fast cars = alot of money for the insurance company:lol1:

You could get a WS6 Trans Am

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
You know what, that's the one thing detering me from all of this. Is in fact insurance, I actually just lost my job today, I've been trying to save money, And It's been depleting like crazy and its killing me. I like to have time scales for everything, and It seems when I take one step forward to get something I take one step back.

I mean don't get me wrong Id love to have a Termi, But If I had to settle for an sn95 cobra or mach 1, I wouldn't hesistate. I could always build one of those to be faster then a terminator in all honesty. It just bothers the hell out of me thats all. Ill be 20 this coming july so my insurance should drop slightly each year, up until 25-26 is when the big drop comes. I don't want these cobra's to be obstele and unobtainable in the next 2-3 years because they are a limited production. who knows I may look at a GT500 by then.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Well, there's alot we dont know:
Do you live with your folks? Rent?
Do you have a car now?
How much money do you have saved up?

The only things we DO know:
You just lost your job (sorry to hear btw)
You're 19

You may have to be patient with all of this. Nevermind the insurance (which would be killer btw) I dont think you would have much luck getting financing. Living in NJ, you need a 4 season vehicle. I would concentrate on this, besides employment obviously.
G/L

4valvemach

Established Member
IMO the best thing for you in this day is to have money in the bank not making payments on a 20k car.So on that note I would push more for a cheaper Fox body that you could have TODAY.If you have no credit then your interest rate will be very high thats if you can get a loan.

But lets say you had 20k cash, would it be good to buy a cobra with it IMO NO.You should start building your credit now with just a small car payment to later get a good deal.

Things you should think about????
car insurance
credit score
can I comfortably pay for this car
can I afford to fix it if it broke

Like I said before money in the bank is more important!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Parrella35

Established Member
----^ Well said. Being a 21 year old I made that mistake! Regardless your gonna do what you want, but learn from others (or my) advice. I was fresh out of high school with a good Union job, bought a blown S197, cash, with no credit and decided to go back to college full-time a few months later. Thank God i still live with my rents, but was NOT a smart investment ( as any car is a bad investment). I know we all love cars on here, but i regret it everyday. -Just look at the big picture is what Im getting at! If i could of done it over again i would of bought a clean Fox with some kind of forced induction.

ModularFan

Established Member
I like where all of your points are at, yes I still live with my parents, no I don't pay rent I have quite a few grand saved up, at one point I was barely spending money, I had a set budget, just gas I bought and that was it, every once in a while Id go out and get mcdonalds etc but not a whole lot.

That's why I came up with the idea of pursuing a sn95 cobra or a Mach 1 something that could be had for under 10G, so I wouldn't put myself in to big of a hole if any.

Yes I know insurance will kill me, I live between two places in all honesty, Jersey and PA. Yes I have a car now a 03 Maxima, I like it I just want something faster, I know I know, I am a teenager and you all are probably gonna say I am gonna wrap it around a tree blah blah blah. Hear that all the time. I am a pretty responsible kid, never gotten a ticket in the 3 years I've been driving.

I've been trying my hardest to do what's right for myself, I am not in college either, I may go in the next month or so, for Firefighting, I am looking to be a volunteer, and major in business or marketing, or criminal justice. I have considered applying at a car dealership to be a salesman, But I don't know how Id feel working off comission, god knows If I don't sell cars Ill be out the door sooner then I could blink. thanks for the advice and tips guys, keep em coming.

Last edited:

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
There was a good article in mustang 5.0 magazine a few months back that pretty much talked about this exact same thing. Long story short it said fox body mustangs are the best bang for your buck due to the fact that you can get one for so cheap and the motors are relatively easy to modify. They are for the budget minded, 03/04 Cobras are not. Termis are great cars, ive owned two of them. I sold my last one about 4 months ago because, as much as I loved it, it was just costing to much money with car payment and insurance (I have a DD so I wasn't putting alot of miles on it). I actually just bought a 92 GT 3 weeks ago (my first fox) and was able to pay cash for it, thus getting rid of the car payment issue. It's actually the first mustang I have owned which I could pay cash for it. But everyone has different things going on and different responsibilities. I have two kids, so I have to put them first. If I were you, I wouldn't even mess with until the job thing gets worked out.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
There was a good article in mustang 5.0 magazine a few months back that pretty much talked about this exact same thing. Long story short it said fox body mustangs are the best bang for your buck due to the fact that you can get one for so cheap and the motors are relatively easy to modify. They are for the budget minded, 03/04 Cobras are not. Termis are great cars, ive owned two of them. I sold my last one about 4 months ago because, as much as I loved it, it was just costing to much money with car payment and insurance (I have a DD so I wasn't putting alot of miles on it). I actually just bought a 92 GT 3 weeks ago (my first fox) and was able to pay cash for it, thus getting rid of the car payment issue. It's actually the first mustang I have owned which I could pay cash for it. But everyone has different things going on and different responsibilities. I have two kids, so I have to put them first. If I were you, I wouldn't even mess with until the job thing gets worked out.

Absolutely man, I am not buying anything til I have a job, also I am saving up to buy outright so that's one less payment to make.

Users who are viewing this thread