what needs to be done to make a 03 do 200 mph?

mustangcobratim

wannatry?
Established Member
ok guys this is the situation: we are getting a event here in michigan just like the texas mile. It is going to be held in Battle creek MI. on a airport runway. I was considering entering my 2003 cobra in it. there are 3 classes: up to 180, up to 190 and the 190+ class. I have done all the gear ratio calculator's and with just about any rear axle gear ratio it puts me into over drive gears i.e 5th and 6th gears. I know this is generally not a good idea to do. So the question is what are some of the other guys running these cars do? I knowi will need a (98y) rated tire. and my car will make about 800 rwhp so power should not be an issue.

So please post up any experience's you might have had. Thanks as always!

mustangcobratim

wannatry?
Established Member
I know I will need a (98y) rated tire on a forged rim. I will have approx. 800rwhp . I have a aftermarket radiator. The motor does not get hot now. How about running it in 5th gear when I do the run . I know running it up top isn't good in the od gears but I will have to based on the calculators I have used for gear ratios.

Plus it is lowered with h and r race springs

mustangcobratim

wannatry?
Established Member
I do have stock pistons. Is it the pistons or the tight piston to wall clearance that is the issue.

Here is a question: what is different with the piston to wall clearance or pistons in the 2013 gt500 compared to our terminators? I know they chased down 200 mph in the 13

Attaus

Established Member
As long as you have the power and tires to do it, one of two things will happen.. you'll max out the gear or the car will lift off (see RX7 at Bonneville).

My guess is above 180 the back end will start to wander. I'd think about getting a moderate wing, because even with the extra drag you have the power to go over 200.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
As long as you have the power and tires to do it, one of two things will happen.. you'll max out the gear or the car will lift off (see RX7 at Bonneville).

My guess is above 180 the back end will start to wander. I'd think about getting a moderate wing, because even with the extra drag you have the power to go over 200.

Dont worry the stock pistons will be far gone before he gets that high.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member

Cobra R wing. Sit that ass end down lol. With stock pistons I think you may run into issues before you get to 180. A lot of it will be aerodynamics also because she will start getting light fast at those speeds.

SlowSVT

Established Member
You will need lots of ground effects to keep the car from levitating off the pavement. The SN95 starts to get squirly after 160.

racebronco2

Established Member
I know I will need a (98y) rated tire on a forged rim. I will have approx. 800rwhp . I have a aftermarket radiator. The motor does not get hot now. How about running it in 5th gear when I do the run . I know running it up top isn't good in the od gears but I will have to based on the calculators I have used for gear ratios.

Plus it is lowered with h and r race springs

Cooling is part of the solution, ptw clearance is the biggest.

I do have stock pistons. Is it the pistons or the tight piston to wall clearance that is the issue.

Here is a question: what is different with the piston to wall clearance or pistons in the 2013 gt500 compared to our terminators? I know they chased down 200 mph in the 13

It's the tight ptwclearance. Stock pistons only .001 ptw clearance, most forged pistons are .003. The termnators have an airflow problem at higher hp levels. Compare our grill opening to the GT500's. They have about twice the opening size. Ours was origanally designed for a 300hp car.

The mach 1 lip spoiler helps a little, the real heat extractor hood helps to keep the car stable at high speeds. According to the late Paul Brown the "hood creates downforce". The air is being sucked out the vents creating a vacuum under the car.

Dont worry the stock pistons will be far gone before he gets that high.

Cobra R wing. Sit that ass end down lol. With stock pistons I think you may run into issues before you get to 180. A lot of it will be aerodynamics also because she will start getting light fast at those speeds.

The cobra "r" wing only add 100lbs of downforce. If you have ever ran a string test you will find that the air going over the roof gets turbulent as it gets to the trunk. I am running Vortec Generators which helps to get cleaner air on the stock rear spoiler. The Cobra "R" wing will reduce your top speed, i remember it reduce the Cobra"R" top speed by about 10mph.

You will need lots of ground effects to keep the car from levitating off the pavement. The SN95 starts to get squirly after 160.

Stock yes but with just a modded hood no. It gets squirly because at high speeds not enough air is getting thru the grill, your are now trying to push the air out of the way. Air is escaping where ever it can, under the car, side to side and over the car. The pressure around the front of the car is not all the same causing the car to wonder and feel unstable.

I have built several hoods. Three of us Cobra 's were at Mojave mile.
Silver cobra whipple putting out 550rwhp with 3.55's
Red cobra ported eaton 485rwhp with 3.73's
Comp orange cobra ported M122 521rwhp with 3.55's
All cars were prepped about the same with a few weight reductions. Mine had about 100lbs less than the others.

sivler cobra 161mph stock hood
red cobra 163mph modded hood
comp orange cobra 173mph modded hood
stock 13' shelby's with 3 different drivers and none could break 165mph.
Both the Red cobra and I took our hands off the wheel for a second or so, the car was as stable as it could be.

OK this is all good info. So cobra r spoiler. Lowered. But I'm interested in the piston thing as well.

I would get the Vortec Generators. Have the front several inches lower than the rear, that will create downforce. If you must run with the stock pistons make sure you try and keep the car as cool as possibly. Have your friends push the car to the pre-grid. Start at the last second, if you have to drive to the start have the heater on. Get up to speed quickly and get close to the guy ahead of you, turn the car off, coast. Start the car once the rest of the cars are being held up. Restart car and repeat as necessary. While waiting to get to the starting run the heater on full, start the car only to get the hot fluid in the radiator. Turn car off, lave heater on. Repeat as much as you can.

Once on the line

testorossa1989

Established Member

deploys chute after spinning upsidedown for 30 seconds

racebronco2

Established Member
I would figure out gears to run so that i am topped out in fifth. Run with the heater on full blast. If you box in the radiator do not box in the bottom portion. It will cause the car to become unstable than stock. You are not trapping all the air in the grill area.

Once it's your turn at the line here is what needs to be done for temp control. Shift early (around 5000rpms) in first to second and second to third and third to forth. Forth gear need to be shifted at redline so it reduces the amount of time you will be in fifth. yes i know i am contradicting myself but if you shift early in fifth you may not be able to meet your 200mph goal. The car doesn't accelerate that fast in fifth. When i datalogged at the mile what i found was the higher you shifted at the hotter the engine got. But as soon as you shifted the temps would go down about 10* and than rise again at redline etc.

It's not going to be going any faster by redlining in every gear. When i did the 173 i shifted early in first and second so i didn't spin. I was told i went to fast for my safety equipment on that run. I shifted at 5000rpm in every gear and a still hit 163mph.

jbs$

Established Member
Explain what you are trying to accomplish to your next-of-kin, give them an opportunity to buy an insurance policy on you. Then, at least, someone would come out ahead in this foolish undertaken. As others have stated, these are very unstable cars when pushed above about 160+.

Users who are viewing this thread