What oil?

Darth Racer

Established Member
I just talked to an AMSOIL national rep and he told me that regardless of what some are saying about using the AMSOIL 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil in your Shelbys, he stated that they do not yet have the proper oil formulated for use in the Shelby. He actually would not sell me any (even though I signed up for the $10, 6 month trial).

So, I'm not gonna use AMSOIL. In fact, he told me that the Motorcraft 5W-50 is what I should use at this time. I assume that AMSOIL will have the correct oil to purchase in the future.

I'm not trying to 'rain on the parade' of AMSOIL users. I'm just passing along the info I was given.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I just talked to an AMSOIL national rep and he told me that regardless of what some are saying about using the AMSOIL 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil in your Shelbys, he stated that they do not yet have the proper oil formulated for use in the Shelby. He actually would not sell me any (even though I signed up for the $10, 6 month trial).

So, I'm not gonna use AMSOIL. In fact, he told me that the Motorcraft 5W-50 is what I should use at this time. I assume that AMSOIL will have the correct oil to purchase in the future.

I'm not trying to 'rain on the parade' of AMSOIL users. I'm just passing along the info I was given.

I am sure they will not adnise you to go against any manifacturers recomendation.
If you are going to stick with, also, if you tun the Reisch 170 deg tstat, I am willing to bet your oil pressure would be pretty high with a true synthetic 5w50. Troy noticed it was high with the 10w40 with the 170 thermostat.

Darth Racer

Established Member
I am sure they will not adnise you to go against any manifacturers recomendation.
If you are going to stick with, also, if you tun the Reisch 170 deg tstat, I am willing to bet your oil pressure would be pretty high with a true synthetic 5w50. Troy noticed it was high with the 10w40 with the 170 thermostat.

That's what so frustrating about 'oil'. Folks say buy this oil....no, buy this oil.....and on and on it goes.

I'm not saying you guys aren't right about AMSOIL, but the rep was adamant about it. He really advised me against purchasing their oil....at this time.

So, what to do? Castrol Syntec had a 5W-50 synthetic that matched Ford's spec, but they discontinued that blend. Now, their 5W-50 syn is called 'EDGE', and is blended for 'classic' cars. It does not meet the Ford spec.

I guess I'll just go down to the Ford dealer, buy 8 quarts of their 5W-50 syn and buy a FL-820S filter, and be done with it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

You talked to the WRONG Amsoil guy. Do yourself a favor....take his "information" with a grain of salt. Just because Amsoil doesn't formulate a 5W-50 doesn't mean there are not excellent formulations for the engine. Anyone who says different knows little to nothing about engine lubricants.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Subbin'

based on what Ive read I would always listen to Unleashed, when my car gets here thats who im going to for advice on oil changes

Zeroescence

Established Member
Subbin'

based on what Ive read I would always listen to Unleashed, when my car gets here thats who im going to for advice on oil changes

Then you will be getting the AMO 10-40 Amsoil I just purchased. I got 12 quarts for $118 with the 10 dollar preferred customer sign up. I ordered last night. Just got home for lunch and it's sitting on my front porch. Awesome! I went and purchased the Royal purple filter, SID you were right filter is 20-820. I'm going to get the oil changed this weekend.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Then you will be getting the AMO 10-40 Amsoil I just purchased. I got 12 quarts for $118 with the 10 dollar preferred customer sign up. I ordered last night. Just got home for lunch and it's sitting on my front porch. Awesome! I went and purchased the Royal purple filter, SID you were right filter is 20-820. I'm going to get the oil changed this weekend.

sweet! so I guess then amsoil oil works well with the RP filter? any plans for the transmission oil and rear?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
sweet! so I guess then amsoil oil works well with the RP filter? any plans for the transmission oil and rear?

The RP and Amsoil oil filters are basically the same. They're made by the same company. I just figured since he lives in CA ho could easily pick one up locally, that's why I recommended it. I haven't found a store in my area that carries the RP filters.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
The RP and Amsoil oil filters are basically the same. They're made by the same company. I just figured since he lives in CA ho could easily pick one up locally, that's why I recommended it. I haven't found a store in my area that carries the RP filters.

I think a nearby auto parts place sell royal purple, will have to check it out

Zeroescence

Established Member
The RP and Amsoil oil filters are basically the same. They're made by the same company. I just figured since he lives in CA he could easily pick one up locally, that's why I recommended it. I haven't found a store in my area that carries the RP filters.

Yeah and the RP filter is 5 dollars cheaper than the amsoil one. Looks to be high quality.

I will go to amsoil tranny and rear diff oil when it is time to be changed.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member

Put an oil pressure gauge in your car, then send a sample in to be tested when you dump your old oil. You will have a whole new outlook on MC oil.

jtfx6552

Established Member
This is a complicated subject. Here is a quick synopsis. Oil pressure is not the whole story. The oil needs to get to certain areas a have enough flow those areas with good film strength.

Oil pressure is an indication that all is well, but if oil is too thick, pressure will look good, as oil will be going over the relief valve, which means less will be flowing through the engine.

Less flow through the engine means longer dwell time in the bearings, and the more time the oil needs to maintain its film strength.

Further, the oil squirters are made to have a certain flow, since viscosity can change the flow through small passages,a different viscosity oil could mess up the oil squirter system.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is a complicated subject. Here is a quick synopsis. Oil pressure is not the whole story. The oil needs to get to certain areas a have enough flow those areas with good film strength.

Oil pressure is an indication that all is well, but if oil is too thick, pressure will look good, as oil will be going over the relief valve, which means less will be flowing through the engine.

Less flow through the engine means longer dwell time in the bearings, and the more time the oil needs to maintain its film strength.

Further, the oil squirters are made to have a certain flow, since viscosity can change the flow through small passages,a different viscosity oil could mess up the oil squirter system.

Now apply your theories to Motorcraft 5W-50

It shears from a viscosity of 19.9 cSt (heavy 50 grade) down to 13.0 cSt (light 40 grade) within 2,000 miles. Amsoil 10W-40 will maintain a viscosity of 14.6 cSt (mid 40 grade) for the entire change interval in most cases. Amsoil 10W-40 has better cold flow properties than Motorcraft 5W-50 and Red Line 5W-50. That means less start up wear. See graph below

Virgin viscosity
oilgradesbefore.jpg

Sheared viscosity
oilgradesafter.jpg

Now that I have exposed Ford's "miracle lubricant" for what it truly is, what lubricant do you think will protect the engine better? I haven't even added in the benefits of a true synthetic base stock compared to refined petroleum.

Yes, Motorcraft 5W-50 contains a lot of refined petroleum.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
My post was directed to the "Take a look at the oil pressure gauge" comments.

Do you have a copy of the "sheared" graph with the Amsoil 10-40 on it, rather than the 20-50?

I used Amsoil in my '03. It would be nice if they made a warranty compliant oil for the '13. My understanding is that since the 10-40 says 10-40 on the bottle rather than 5-50, it is not warranty compliant even if both the sheared and unsheared viscosity matches the unsheared MC 5-50 better.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In the UOA thread, the graph in post #1 shows that Amsoil 10W-40 sheared up to 10% or less. In my samples of Amsoil 10W-40....they sheared less than 3%.

Motorcraft 5W-50 sheared 30-35%, a few samples as much as 40%. It's sad to say the least.

03 VENOM

Established Member
So I take it that 5W20 and 30 MC oil isn't worth a shit either??

I've been using MC oil for almost 10 years!! But then again my 03 Cobra only has about 6500 miles on it. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread