What parts are worth getting off Lincoln Mark8

Blackbox19

Established Member
I got a whole car in really good shape that I am taking engine to install in my mustang.
I read about the rear IRS being a good donor for a road racer. Any thing else worth my time to take off?
It has air ride suspension.

Blackbox19

Established Member
whats the deal with the valve covers? I was going to just install the lincoln engine complete as I could. With only the intake being changed to my cobra.

Kcobra99

Established Member
If the headlights aren't delaminated on the inside grab them.
What year is it? If it's a 93 grab the drive shaft, it's the only year with a one piece ds.
The ecu and ignition harness is good to use for swaps into older cars as they don't have Pats.
For the air ride, take the compressor and front struts if they don't leak.
Bodywise, the outer door handles break a lot and are worth a bit to someone with the same colored car.
If the climate control buttons aren't broken, you can sell the unit.
The console is worth a bit if the ashtray and cupholder doors aren't broken.

That's about all I can think of atm.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the IRS is worth it's weight in scrap. The engine needs a cam and intake swap. Everything else can go to the crusher.

Blackbox19

Established Member
the IRS is worth it's weight in scrap. The engine needs a cam and intake swap. Everything else can go to the crusher.
Not sure why you think the irs is bad. But seen a few guys use it on hot rods and such with good results. If I could get it under my cobra I would. Engine dont need anything but my intake, cam is only slightly different to accommodate the lower torque needs of the lincoln. So its staying.

I ask the question as I am trying to make up the cost of the donor.

I already have plans for the coil overs and air ride. Gonna gut the wiring and sell as a whole kit. Problem is the car has a million buttons and lights that I got to weed out of the harness.

Also taking the fuel pump. The leather seats are like 99 way power so may sell those to hot rodder too. I hate wasting anything. Since the scrapper just gonna crush it I dont want to see good parts get wasted.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The irs isn't bad, but it has limited potential and few buyers. The center section is worth removing though as the Thunderbird guys like them.

The intake cams make decent low end tq but the cobra intake cams advanced to 108 make a lot more.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Also, the cobra intake manifold with the mark 8 intake cams result in low power because the cams stop Woking when the cams start working.

Blackbox19

Established Member
Also, the cobra intake manifold with the mark 8 intake cams result in low power because the cams stop Woking when the cams start working.
????

I am only using the lincoln engine temporary, while i get the money to build my cobra engine. So I dont care too much about making huge power. Just long as it cranks and goes down road for me.

Blackbox19

Established Member
Well ya didn't state that upfront now didya?
I did ask what parts are worth keeping from the donor. Never really let on what I was going to do with my mustang other than engine. I also never asked about putting any of it in my mustang, so you must be assuming this is a build thread or something.
It is strictly what parts of my donor are worth keeping. Not advice on the mustang, though I will take any helpful advice.:dancenana:

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
What year is it?

The rear LCA's and diff housing are worth a little money at TCCOA and SCCOA. Be sure to keep the knuckle to LCA bolts with the LCA's, as that has a direct effect on what you'll be able to sell them for. The air ride parts, if in good condition, are worth a bit at LVC and LOD. If it's a '98, the 4R70W is worth a little, depending on mileage. The '93-97 4R70W's are not nearly as desirable. As already mentioned, the '93 one piece driveshaft is worth an easy $100 at any of the websites above. The rest of the Mark 8 specific parts are marketable at TCCOA, LVC, and LOD.

Blackbox19

Established Member
its a 4-94 made one so dont thing the drive shaft is the good one.

when i pull the rear irs its coming out as a whole unit and staying that way till sold off, unless i get enough to warrant pulling apart to sell.

Weather is just crappy lately and I am not motivated to get out there in it to mess with any thing.
Transmission lost 4th gear and leaks fluid. why i got it fairly cheap and low miles.

Last edited:

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
No, that driveshaft is not sought after. You may have a more difficult time selling the complete IRS assembly due to freight costs, however I have managed to find a few buyers over the years that wanted them complete. Try over at FFcars.com.

Blackbox19

Established Member
Since I got a few people helping me on this, Question, I will need a pilot bearing for the Lincoln engine crank. Will the one from the cobra fit ?

Blackbox19

Established Member
got to know what is worth messing with 1st.. I aint here to sell anything. Just dont want to throw away a special "only made that year part" or "dang I wish you would have kept that part you gonna need it". Junk man getting most of this thing when i am done. I aint got time to mess around selling piece here and there online.

Users who are viewing this thread