what pulley for my wifes stock cobra?

Cape T/A

Established Member
I didnt see any stickys about pulleys so....

Ive had this ole mystichrome cobra for 4 years now, and the wife wants a pulley! So what is the best bang for the buck? What brand and size? I dont want the most power or anything like that, just a bump in power without me having to upgrade a bunch of other things, one that doesnt require a tune would be nice too.

The car is all stock right now except for an off road X and steeda catback.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
2.93 and 2.76 are the most popular, and I'm happy with my 2.93 for now at least. Either way you go you'll want a tune. An aftermarket intake would work wonders too. These 2 and a tune will really wake the car up though!

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah that's the thing about pulleys. Not sure on the power bump, I bought mine with the pulley already on it so I've not driven my car stock. I have however driven a stock pulley car (test drive) and it really makes a difference. I know there's a good group on STLMustangs, one of my good friends is from St. Louis and knows about it pretty well. One of the guys over there does tunes, maybe check out their website? From what I've seen on here, a 2.93 would probably put you around 430 at the wheels ish? I'm hoping to get my car on a dyno sometime this year to see what it's made of, hopefully others will come in with some more experience

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I am running a 2.93 with a green belt and no aux idler. Also have K&N FIPK, o/r x, jba catback dyno tuned at 467/474. HP wise the 2.93 and 2.76 are about the same but the 2.76 will get you a few more ftlbs tq and more heat.

b_dike

Established Member
It is possible to max out your fuel pumps and or the maf with just a pulley so be careful when choosing.

Op sounds like you are just trying to satisfy your wife's go fast needs. While not spending a ton of money. Unfortunately the tune is the most expensive part, and something you'll need no matter what pulley you choose.

If you guys go through with it, I'd recommend any pulley larger than 2.93... Just to be on the safe side.

For example my car has a 2.76 upper only, but my pumps are @90% and my maf count reaches 1006 of 1023.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just get a tune if you want to wake the car up. You'll pick up hp/tq that way as well.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
since you say you are still on stock airbox, an intake alone will make the car a lot more fun to drive and you wont need a tune.

but after that, my vote would be billetflow 2.76 and 4 idlers which allows you to use the stock belt. you will need plugs and definitely a tune! but it's worth it =)

stangfreak

Established Member
wifes car. I would go with a 3.0 or a 2.93. Those two get my vote. The 3.0 is a bit on the conservative side, Both are great. Not terrible with heat soak.

NiceCobra

Established Member
I'm in the same boat looking at pulleys. I think I'm going with the 2.76, ba2600, 100mm idler, new plugs and a Dyno tune. Hoping that will keep me satisfied for another year lol.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
2.8 from Metco for the pulley and the power. Might have to upgrade the MAF but that would be it. This way you'll get some more power and should still be fine on everything else. You would need an aux idler though.

fireman02

Established Member
Running 2.93 w/ idler, k&n, bbk t-body, upr o/r x pipe, magnaflow c-back, sctx4 and I made 478hp & 488 trq @ 13lbs of boost. Weather was pretty stellar the day I had it tuned.

Cape T/A

Established Member
Taxes are getting filed tomorrow then I'm going to order a 2.93 pulley!!!

With this pulley do I need to get a new idler as well? What about the belt? I'm running the stock one with 26k miles on it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Taxes are getting filed tomorrow then I'm going to order a 2.93 pulley!!!

With this pulley do I need to get a new idler as well? What about the belt? I'm running the stock one with 26k miles on it.

you don't *need* to, but for maximum belt-wrap, you should. also best to replace all 4 idlers

Users who are viewing this thread