What supplements to gain muscle (not bodybuilding type)

RickwithCobra

Established Member
dude if you take in 240 grams of Protien a day you are a f*****ing idoit, you are gonna destroy your kidneys fast. I would recomend maybe a little over 100 grams a day. The daily recomeneded intake is somewhere around 50 grams.

hhwhatthe

SVT Lacking
Established Member
Well obviously the best advice is to eat like a mofo but if youre naturally lean like me then its tough to eat enough of the right foods 5-6 times a day and get those calories thats why id recommend a weight gainer. now there are all sorts out there some r better for others and yes alot are filled with bad sugars to increase calories but i recomment MHP's up your mass. It's not as high in sugar and if you take it with milk or a milk substitute (i take lactaid lol) then you'll be set. I've tried a bunch and you dont get that post shake sugar crash from the spike you get when you drink it (tho ive recently switched to a locally made product). Don't think of it as a new liquid diet tho because you still need to eat as much and as cleanly as you can obviously high in protein and good carbs however this is perfect as a meal replacement when you just cant get a meal in. After workouts and before bed at least. im 5'10" 200lb and not fat lol and i was prolly down around 180 about 1 year ago. Once ppl past the "I need to have a crazy six pack for the broads" mentality and they get those calories, they'll put on size quick.

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
BSN syntha-6 hands down. its the best tasting best performing protein i have ever used. im 6'2" and used to weigh 170 and im now up to 185 while following a basic body building routine for about 2 months now.

mustangbee

Established Member
dude if you take in 240 grams of Protien a day you are a f*****ing idoit, you are gonna destroy your kidneys fast. I would recomend maybe a little over 100 grams a day. The daily recomeneded intake is somewhere around 50 grams.

wait what? 100gm? some bobybuilders take in 60-80gm per MEAL. so everyone that takes over 240 grams is an idiot then? what about the guys that took even over 300+grams per day for 15-20 years? their all dead for kidney shutdown according to you, right?
YOU do understand pro bodybuilders take in 1.5x grams per bodyweight in pounds. Some of them weigh over 300lbs, and do it for many, many years and have been since the 70s. oh, i forgot arnold, lou, and franco all died from kidney shutdown.

ronnie coleman talked about taking in over 400 grams per day all through the 90s...he's dead too right? ive heard many guys state they take well over 300gm per day..

100 grams ain't gonna do nothing to gain muscle for a 197lbs man, you don't know anything about this subject, and you just proved it.

Last edited:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member

:dw:

No, if you're working out with the intent of gaining muscle mass, you are recommended to take in 1-1.5 grams of protein for every lb of bodyweight.

Last edited:

cah41

Established Member
Biggest mistake people make is they don't get enough protein. I lol pretty hard when I see people buy those pathetic little 1lb tubs of whey. That should last you, like, a week, if you're using it correctly. General rule of thumb: need ~1g of protein/1 lb of body weight per day. But you also need to make sure you are getting enough calories period, or else that protein won't be used to build muscle, it will be used to run "maintenance" metabolic functions because you aren't eating enough. But let me tell you, it is a FINE line between eating too much and gaining muscle AND fat, and eating too little and just not seeing any results at all. It is fairly difficult to strike that balance where you gain muscle mass without gaining fat, unless you are on a strict diet plan which has been mapped out specifically for you by a dietitian (sp?). Not to say it can't be done, but most regular people will just do phases, to make it easier. Example:

phase 1 = bulk up phase

Lift, get shit tons of protein, eat ALOT. If you do this, + workout consistently, get enough sleep + vitamins, you WILL gain strength + muscle, period. Just give your muscles proper rest (ie, have a good workout routine), work them hard, and you'll be shocked at how fast you gain strength (especially if you've never done it this way before).

The problem with this is that you're going to tend to overshoot on your caloric needs, and will probably gain a bit of fat weight in addition to the muscle, more or less depending on how much over you go. That's why, when you've been doing this for a bit, you can move to phase 2....

phase 2: cut down phase

the goal is to eat right (low carbs, veggies, fruits, nuts), burn more calories than you take in (generally). The best way to do this is to incorporate more running into your routines. I still go to the gym, and do the same workouts with the weights, but you're going to be fighting an uphill battle here: with the caloric deficit, even with enough protein you're going to be losing a bit of strength--at BEST, you will maintain your strength and/or SLOWLY increase strength (hard to do)...but you're banking on melting the fat off your body faster than you lose muscle, so that the net result in the end, after the two stages, is an increase in muscle with no extra fat/decrease in fat.

It's a pain in the ass to have 5 protein shakes a day, to make sure you have them every 3-4 hours, etc., but you got to do it if you want the shit to work. I literally set an alarm for myself in the middle of the night to let myself down a whey shake. And it's a pain, in the second part, to eat well. But after you get in the routine you feel great about it, and it's almost a positive feedback effect. You start to get used to it, you start to look better, you start to feel better about it, you want to keep doing it, etc.

So, make sure you get enough protein in EITHER method/phase, as lacking in this dept. will cripple even the otherwise best efforts.

As far as muscle milk: the blend of protein is a great mix for a "mid-day" shake, ie., it has a mix of whey and longer lasting proteins. But it has a ton of fat for something that should be just a protein delivery vehicle. If you're just bulking up, it's great: it's the best tasting shake out there (no joke, the chocolate powder is amazing with milk), and it has the extra calories that you may want. If you're trying to eat healthy, ie, minimize fat intake/carb intake, stay away. ON has a great Whey, for mornings and before/after workouts. Grab a casein type for before bed (some say you can forgo this and just eat some almonds + cottage cheese; I do both :thumbsup:)--I use probolic SR. And if you want, grab a mixed-type protein for during the day--ON's Pro Complex is great for this.

I get that some people may think it's excessive to buy 3 diff types of protein; the truth is, you can probably use whey for every shake you have, although it may hurt you as a before bedtime shake as itll be through your system in a flash. But, if you get all three, they'll last you a while obviously because you'll only be using each one once or twice a day.

Shop at Vitamin shoppe or bodybuilding.com, they have the best prices.

Oh, and use NO xplode. It's ****ing awesome. Just make sure you cycle it. :thumbsup::

cah41

Established Member

It is true that your kidneys have to filter more blood to reabsorb the same amount of sodium from the tubule filtrate with a high protein diet vs a low protein diet. However, there has never been any data to suggest that long term, high-protein intake is detrimental to kidney function. They just do their job more. There may even be some compensatory hypertrophy of the kidney that offsets the increased workload. Bottom line is it's generally thought that high-protein diets are safe on the kidneys, long-term.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Always had a positive experience with all ON products, I currently take their whey protein, casein, serious mass, and creatine MHG. I feel like i've made realistic gains from eating healthy, and eating a lot. I know everyone says eat, eat, eat, but it really is hard to cram that much food down if you're not a tub of lard and have the appetite that follows. I went from 154.xx in Nov 09' to 172.8lbs as of 2 days ago. At first you think you'll gain 20lbs of muscle like its no ones business, but you'll realize how hard it really is to just make nominal gains.

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member

link to study or BS.

mustangbee

Established Member
Biggest mistake people make is they don't get enough protein. I lol pretty hard when I see people buy those pathetic little 1lb tubs of whey. That should last you, like, a week, if you're using it correctly. General rule of thumb: need ~1g of protein/1 lb of body weight per day. But you also need to make sure you are getting enough calories period, or else that protein won't be used to build muscle, it will be used to run "maintenance" metabolic functions because you aren't eating enough. But let me tell you, it is a FINE line between eating too much and gaining muscle AND fat, and eating too little and just not seeing any results at all. It is fairly difficult to strike that balance where you gain muscle mass without gaining fat, unless you are on a strict diet plan which has been mapped out specifically for you by a dietitian (sp?). Not to say it can't be done, but most regular people will just do phases, to make it easier. Example:

phase 1 = bulk up phase

Lift, get shit tons of protein, eat ALOT. If you do this, + workout consistently, get enough sleep + vitamins, you WILL gain strength + muscle, period. Just give your muscles proper rest (ie, have a good workout routine), work them hard, and you'll be shocked at how fast you gain strength (especially if you've never done it this way before).

The problem with this is that you're going to tend to overshoot on your caloric needs, and will probably gain a bit of fat weight in addition to the muscle, more or less depending on how much over you go. That's why, when you've been doing this for a bit, you can move to phase 2....

phase 2: cut down phase

the goal is to eat right (low carbs, veggies, fruits, nuts), burn more calories than you take in (generally). The best way to do this is to incorporate more running into your routines. I still go to the gym, and do the same workouts with the weights, but you're going to be fighting an uphill battle here: with the caloric deficit, even with enough protein you're going to be losing a bit of strength--at BEST, you will maintain your strength and/or SLOWLY increase strength (hard to do)...but you're banking on melting the fat off your body faster than you lose muscle, so that the net result in the end, after the two stages, is an increase in muscle with no extra fat/decrease in fat.

It's a pain in the ass to have 5 protein shakes a day, to make sure you have them every 3-4 hours, etc., but you got to do it if you want the shit to work. I literally set an alarm for myself in the middle of the night to let myself down a whey shake. And it's a pain, in the second part, to eat well. But after you get in the routine you feel great about it, and it's almost a positive feedback effect. You start to get used to it, you start to look better, you start to feel better about it, you want to keep doing it, etc.

So, make sure you get enough protein in EITHER method/phase, as lacking in this dept. will cripple even the otherwise best efforts.

As far as muscle milk: the blend of protein is a great mix for a "mid-day" shake, ie., it has a mix of whey and longer lasting proteins. But it has a ton of fat for something that should be just a protein delivery vehicle. If you're just bulking up, it's great: it's the best tasting shake out there (no joke, the chocolate powder is amazing with milk), and it has the extra calories that you may want. If you're trying to eat healthy, ie, minimize fat intake/carb intake, stay away. ON has a great Whey, for mornings and before/after workouts. Grab a casein type for before bed (some say you can forgo this and just eat some almonds + cottage cheese; I do both :thumbsup:)--I use probolic SR. And if you want, grab a mixed-type protein for during the day--ON's Pro Complex is great for this.

I get that some people may think it's excessive to buy 3 diff types of protein; the truth is, you can probably use whey for every shake you have, although it may hurt you as a before bedtime shake as itll be through your system in a flash. But, if you get all three, they'll last you a while obviously because you'll only be using each one once or twice a day.

Shop at Vitamin shoppe or bodybuilding.com, they have the best prices.

Oh, and use NO xplode. It's ****ing awesome. Just make sure you cycle it. :thumbsup::

you have 5 shakes a day on your cut? holy hell thats alot...maybe 3 at the most for me... i take in mostly lean chicken and steak

i disagree with waking up in the middle of the night to take in protein.. uninterrupted sleep is more important imo. not saying your wrong since i have no proof that either works better...

cah41

Established Member
^^^^ Yeah I tend to have ~ 5 shakes a day no matter what. I might not get as much from diet as you, as I tend to have more fruits, cereal, oatmeal, salad, shit like that for meals. Less meat as a meal. It doesn't matter where you get it as long as you get enough and you space it out so that you're not going a long length of time without any.

Yeah well I don't know that it's necessarily detrimental to wake up and interrupt a REM cycle...obviously if I could plan it I'd plan on waking up during stage I sleep versus REM, but I don't know how to do that haha. I will sleep for 5 hours or so then wake up and down a whey shake, usually will want to use the bathroom anyway, and am back in bed in less than 2 minutes...don't even turn on a light, I make the shake before I go to bed and leave it at bedside. I have no problem falling back asleep. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this to someone who has a hard time falling/staying asleep. But I sleep pretty easy.

Users who are viewing this thread