What Tires for 20" Wheels

MattR

Established Member
I am going to buy a set of wheels soon, Trueforged, Forgeline and CCW are who I have been talking too. Some Say a 305-35-20 is the way to go others say it's too tall and I've been told a 315-35-20 will fit as well. Then I see Toyo has a 315-30-20 in the R-888 thats just a little taller than factory. My car is not lowered and I'm looking for max traction STREET set up. I'll never take my car to the track, well maybe once just to see how I do.

So what do you guys run with NO rub at all and NO modifications to the car. Lowered or not.

Also does anyone have any experience with the MT 305-35-19? I hear they are not very good street/highway tires compared to a Nitto. Its just another option.

Thanks for the help.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I like the rear set up but toyo only offers one other size in 20 which is a 285/30/20. Can't see running a 285 on the front???

What have you guys done? Mix and Match with other brands?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the 555R is taller than stock but looks and fits perfectly on these cars.

here's my own car with big Sportline drop, on 20x11 with 305/35/20. you can see my car is angled on that small "hill" causing the driver's wheel to go up inside the fender really well. about a fingers worth of space between the tire and the fender.

this tire is super common and for good reason. its affordable, fits great and has good wear.

the NT05 is a bit $$ and wont last nearly as long. but it is a much stickier tire. personally, i think it looks huge on these cars. i believe the DR is a little narrower than the street version, which means the backspacing needs to be adjusted so there is no rub.

the Toyo R888 is an awesome tire and fits just fine. it is $$$ though.

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
IA
285/30/20 through 305/30/20 on 10 inch rims Rear tire setup.

255/35/20 on the fronts.
great setup for daily drivers, and occasional trips to the strip.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I have the 305-35 Nittos (DR) on the rear and they look perfect. Suspension is all stock. Fronts are 555r's in 275. The DRs hook well, although I've not been to the drag strip with these. My sig has a pic with this combo. 100% no clearance issues anywhere, and there is a littel more room, I wanted be surprised if a 315 would work just fine too.

What are you looking at in wheels specifically?

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I like the rear set up but toyo only offers one other size in 20 which is a 285/30/20. Can't see running a 285 on the front???

What have you guys done? Mix and Match with other brands?

Yepp.. I'm running Toyo T1R's 275/35/20 in front and R888''s 315/30/20 in the rear

O/P My ride height is perfect, lowered on Steeda Comp springs

T/F 20 X 9. 5 & 20 X 11.0

G/l;-)

MattR

Established Member
I have the 305-35 Nittos (DR) on the rear and they look perfect. Suspension is all stock. Fronts are 555r's in 275. The DRs hook well, although I've not been to the drag strip with these. My sig has a pic with this combo. 100% no clearance issues anywhere, and there is a littel more room, I wanted be surprised if a 315 would work just fine too.

What are you looking at in wheels specifically?

Chicane for Trueforge and GWC3 or WC3 in ForgeLine, SP500 in CCW. They all price out within a few hundred of each other, so its really just what you want i guess. Im looking at weight as well.

MattR

Established Member
Yepp.. I'm running Toyo T1R's 275/35/20 in front and R888''s 315/30/20 in the rear

O/P My ride height is perfect, lowered on Steeda Comp springs

T/F 20 X 9. 5 & 20 X 11.0

G/l;-)

Thats the combo I was looking at, how does it ride and hook? Im at stock power now but would love to smoke my buddy who has a VMP pulley kit on stock rubber. LOL

MattR

Established Member
the 555R is taller than stock but looks and fits perfectly on these cars.

here's my own car with big Sportline drop, on 20x11 with 305/35/20. you can see my car is angled on that small "hill" causing the driver's wheel to go up inside the fender really well. about a fingers worth of space between the tire and the fender.

this tire is super common and for good reason. its affordable, fits great and has good wear.

the NT05 is a bit $$ and wont last nearly as long. but it is a much stickier tire. personally, i think it looks huge on these cars. i believe the DR is a little narrower than the street version, which means the backspacing needs to be adjusted so there is no rub.

the Toyo R888 is an awesome tire and fits just fine. it is $$$ though.

Steve, I dont see a picture of your car? do you have any?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
No rub even with people in the back, or going around a corner hard? what width wheel? Any special back spacing trick or bump stop, dust boot mods?

Thanks.

I never carry passengers in the back. 20x11 wheel. I've had it on the open track with no rubbing issues. The bump stop and boot are gone, but only because I was running 20x11.75 Alcoas with 335s on them before this setup. I think those mods wouldn't be needed with the 11s I run.

Backspacing is whatever the wheel manufacturer used.

Last edited:

Walk2Much

Established Member
I'm running nitto invos. 275/35/20 up front and 295/35/20 on the rear. Stock ride height. I don't think I will be able to lower the car without the front rubbing. The rear is just a little over an inch taller than stock and the front is around an inch taller than stock. For the tires they are much better than stock. They're quiet and get a much more traction. Also they are easy to clean and dress.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I have the setup with Toyos 315/30/20s on the rear and at 700+ rwhp the car dead hooks in second gear. I can leave very hard in the street, 2.5K clutch drop rolling into the throttle and have it pretty much planted by the top of 1st gear. Snatch second and get a little chirp from the tires and that's on warm asphalt. On concrete 3.5-4K clutch drops and it's on. Quite a few donate to my car fund when out playing with them. You can not go wrong with the Toyo R888 thanks again Steve, still trying to get my bonehead brother to get a set lol

MattR

Established Member
I have the setup with Toyos 315/30/20s on the rear and at 700+ rwhp the car dead hooks in second gear. I can leave very hard in the street, 2.5K clutch drop rolling into the throttle and have it pretty much planted by the top of 1st gear. Snatch second and get a little chirp from the tires and that's on warm asphalt. On concrete 3.5-4K clutch drops and it's on. Quite a few donate to my car fund when out playing with them. You can not go wrong with the Toyo R888 thanks again Steve, still trying to get my bonehead brother to get a set lol

I Assume you have a drop spring set?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
FRPP Handling pack. I think it dropped the rear like 1.5 inches. I know when I pull into the drive way and leave the car slanted the wheel will tuck up under the fender but it's very close. Handles great and doesn't ride to bad with the struts set a little loose. Tighten it up and performs great on the track. Loose in the back and I can leave decent on the street and great at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread