What to do about wedding extras?

joemayo

Established Member
Okay guys I'm getting married in November. I'm actually already married but our actually wedding is coming up. At your weddings did you spend extra money on food,dj's,drinks etc? I see no need for food and drinks. I just want to get the wedding done with and don't to spend another 2grand on "extras". My wife is stressing since she is trying to pay for this all by herself since I'm saving up for a house. Should I fork up the money for this extra stuff or just skip doing this stuff? My father-in-law isn't going to help so scratch that.

cobra_mer

Established Member
I didnt want any of the extras at my wedding. My wife did so we forked up the extra cash for the photographer, dj, food drink, etc. In the end it made her happy and thats the only thing that matters. In the long run its just another day and after its said and done no one will remember the dj, food, drink, etc. they will remember what matters and thats two people came together to be joined as one. just my 2 cents though.

allister

Established Member
i think its worth it, but you don't have to go overboard. example, have a pig roast, a friend dj (ask around), and get a couple kegs. at least in our circle of friends, if there's no music or booze, it's not a wedding.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
We'll at the place my wife already booked you can't bring in your own food or drinks.

So you are planning to not serve any food or drinks? That's pretty bad etiquette. I wouldn't consider food and drink "extras" :dw:. You should maybe consider doing hor d'oeuvres and a less expensive wine/champagne or something like that if you don't want to serve a whole meal.

If you aren't going to serve food or have a DJ for dancing there's really no point in having a reception at all.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
We'll at the place my wife already booked you can't bring in your own food or drinks.

Book somewhere else cause that's a ****ing joke..

Alot of weddings I've been to bought kegs and let you pay for cocktails, offsetting all but a few hundred dollars.. if you don't want food drinks or a dj, what is the point of a reception at all?? You could just have the ceremony and jet

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
Unless you want your guests - friends, and new family members included - to think your a cheap ass, you need to have food and drink provided, somehow. How you do that is up to you, but it needs to at least be offered.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
What would you expect people to do if you aren't going to provide food, drinks or a DJ? Stand around? You don't have to spend a crazy amount of money to make your reception fun.

ff500

Established Member
Do you plan on having a large group ? If it's a really small gathering you could just go to a restaurant after the ceremony, you should pay for it though. A larger group, rent a hall and have it catered. Guests usually give gifts and if they know you are saving for a house it will probably be cash, hopefully you'll get enough to cover the cost of the wedding and have some extra to put towards the house.

joemayo

Established Member
We'll I think we invited 50 people so I guess doing the catering will have to do. With the way I'm thinking and trying to save for other things are a little more important like house,bills etc

hoamskilet

Established Member
Then go to the courthouse or just have a ceremony and that's it. Not really a reception if there isn't food/drink/music

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Pissing your wife off and making her feel like her desire to have a nice wedding reception is not worth your money is not a good way to start married life.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
One particular "extra" that you should pay for and do your research to make sure you get your moneys worth on is a good photographer. Maybe even two. The wedding day will pass, you will forget many details about the day over time but great pictures can bring memories back.

Food and drink is not an extra in my mind, it is an absolute requirement for a reception.

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Yeah I couldn't imagine going to a wedding and not getting absolutely trashed.

It sucks giant camel cod. I was in a friend's wedding back in the spring and there was no booze, nor pretty bridesmaids. It was a drag. I ended up going elsewhere to get drunk later on that night because the reception was so terrible.

To the OP, cater the event. Like mentioned above, hor d'oeuvres may be a good idea.

dooberGN

Established Member
It sucks giant camel cod. I was in a friend's wedding back in the spring and there was no booze, nor pretty bridesmaids. It was a drag. I ended up going elsewhere to get drunk later on that night because the reception was so terrible.

To the OP, cater the event. Like mentioned above, hor d'oeuvres may be a good idea.

This is where a flask comes in handy.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread