What to do in Hawaii

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Guys,

I'm headed to Hawaii next week for a conference and looking for things to do while there. I'm going to be on the big island. Never been to Hawaii, and I'm only going to be there a week. Looking to learn how to surf and some cool seafood places to eat, and must-do activities. I'm going with a lady friend who only wants to sit out by the pool and relax, maybe paddle board.

Thanks

nxhappy

Established Member
big island is less people which is nice, but not as much to do. If you have the heart, I would say cage dive with the sharks. It's one of the coolest experiences I have ever had in my life.

Other than that: snorkeling, ATV rides, rent a car and see the entire island, etc

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
big island is less people which is nice, but not as much to do. If you have the heart, I would say cage dive with the sharks. It's one of the coolest experiences I have ever had in my life.

Other than that: snorkeling, ATV rides, rent a car and see the entire island, etc

I'll have a car all week. Would love to snorkel, don't have the stones to do the shark dive.

rotarymagic

Established Member
Maunakea summit tour, Astronomy tour on Maunakea, Observatory center on the way to Hilo, Green sand beach, Black sand beach, Volcanoes National Park, Horseback riding at the ranches on the northside of the island, going to the dragstrip in Hilo (if they're open), Big Island is pretty crazy as you can drive all over the island and experience several different climates all in the same day LOL. Driving the saddleroad end to end at night is also pretty cool too (It's haunted according to Hawaiian legend). I'd recommend renting a Jeep if you're going to drive to Green sand beach as it requires some pretty serious offroading depending on how much it has rained recently lol.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
Pack your own mosquito repellent. There's a shortage of good mosquito repellent on the Big Island right now. Wear the repellent when you go outside. There is a dengue fever outbreak. The hot spot area is more south of Kailua-Kona in the Milolii area, but being a mosquito passed thing, it is possible to catch it anywhere there are mosquitos.

I would assume you are going to be Kona and probably Waikoloa. You should be able to do most of what you want there, as far as surf. The Hilton has dolphins. Cruising the island is good. You can go to Volcano National Park and see the volcano and lava. Saddle Road puts you between the two large volcanos, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.

Gravik

Established Member
Go to Maui

Jet skiing
Cliff jumping
Stay a night in the tree houses
Lots of beaches

And make sure to go to Cheeseburger in Paradise

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I assume that you're not going to be able to visit the other islands. I've been to Oahu and Maui, but not to the Big Island of Hawaii. You'll definitely have a great time there and hopefully have enough free time to take in as much as possible. Here are a few links for you to browse. And don't forget to take photos and post some of them when you return to the states. :)

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/craterrimtour.htm

http://www.hawaii-guide.com/big_island_of_hawaii

Swim with manta rays! www.gohawaii.com/en/big-island/guidebook/topics/manta-ray-diving

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/hawaii/big-island

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/hawaii/hawaii-the-big-island

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Not a whole lot of exciting things to do on the big isle. Good links above. Stay a few extra days if you can, hop to Maui or Oahu. Sucks to be so close to the good islands and not being able to see them. I have been to them all. Maui is the best. Followed by kuai...Honolulu was way way to city like...might as well go to los angelas. But Hawaii is Hawaii...have fun and once you got Hawaii in your blood...you can't get it out. You'll go back and back and back.

nxhappy

Established Member
also if you have the nuts, ride a bike down the volcano :coolman:

SirShaun

Established Member
My coworker went there for his honey moon. He really enjoyed a helicopter tour, which takes you over some volcanos.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Grand Waikoloa...
http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/about-the-resort/culture-and-history

Relax, swim with dolphins, snorkel, scuba, surf/bodyboard, jet skis, water slide, and relax!!!
Eat drink be merry

Sweet. This is the hotel I'm staying at where the conference is. Wish I could stay more than a week, but I just can't swing it right now with my schedule and my kids. Already asking the ex to do me a favor in taking the kids a day early so I can make it to the conference in time.

I'm sure I'll go back. Some good info. Thanks guys. Definitely excited as the weather here sucks right now and I'm excited to get out of here and relax. I'll hopefully have some good pics

Any restaurants that are a must-see?

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
You could go check out Honokohau Harbor, the Bite Me Sportfishing guys, They run a charter boat as well as a bar and grill with fishmarket. Their fleet of boats go out and bring back fish to sell or cook in their restaurant. That's not too far from Waikoloa.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Are you a golfer? because if you are you will be in heaven my friend. OMG! what a awesome place, Do a Luau it's a fun experience.
But the most fun we had was driving around the Island. We just went for the week of Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I stayed a week in the Big Island a few years ago. I loved it. Someone mentioned the Mauna Kea summit trip and I agree. I took the tour with these guys http://www.hawaii-forest.com/tours/kona-maunakea/ and it was just great. It was all day, however, so you'll need to keep that in mind.

The black sand beach was cool, a nice little stop to check out as you drive around the island. The Big I is a very peaceful place.

I also went on a snorkel cruise to Captain Cook monument which is an absolutely phenomenal snorkel spot. I highly recommend that one.

I'm not a foodie so I can't really advise you on eateries, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread