What would you do with a new employment opportunity?

What would you do with a new employment opportunity?

• Keep 90k job (18-24 years old)

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Keep 90k job (25-32 years old)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Keep 90k job (33+ years old)

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Change to 55k job (18-24 years old)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Change to 55k job (25-32 years old)

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Change to 55k job (33+ years old)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
If you were in a situation where you currently work 70-80 hours a week to make about 90k a year, but you are given the opportunity at a new job to work no more than 45 hours a week to make 55k (with a 5 year potential to max out at 80k and still keep the same work hours) would you switch? The jobs would be very similar in style (basically the same thing).

Please tell me your age range and why or why you wouldn’t make the switch. It would be great if you could respond through your own life experiences and/or perspective.

Edit:
For me, I have a wife with a kid on the way. I have enough saved and minimal bills that the money isn't a huge factor, but I would have to change my life style some (which isn't that bad).

Last edited:

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
work as hard as you can, for as long as you can, and make the most money you can while you are young because it doesn't get any easier when your older.

I am also saying this assuming you are saving a boat load of money and not blowing it on strippers, booze, and drugs.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Depends on how your off-time is set. For me, with a young girl at home I'd take the lesser pay and hours to have more time with my daughter. If I was single I would make as much as I could and work whatever hours were required.

I didn't vote as I think the above is very important before giving a vote.

black 10th vert

Established Member
+1! I totally agree. If you are fortunate enough to pull down that kind of coin while you are young, I'd say stick with it as long as you can, and bank as much as you can, which should be easy since you obviously don't have a ton of free time to spend it anyway! Then when you get to the time you want to settle down with a family and such, then switch to a job with less demands on your time, even if it means a cut in pay.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
work as hard as you can, for as long as you can, and make the most money you can while you are young because it doesn't get any easier when your older.

I am also saying this assuming you are saving a boat load of money and not blowing it on strippers, booze, and drugs.

Saving has never been a problem. I have always made financially responsible decisions. My biggest concern is work/ life balance and with the addition of a child. When is "too much" too much?

make it, bank it, retire at 50!

Would be nice if I don't burn out first :lol1:

THE_STIG

Established Member
If you are young and single work hard and save it up, if your married and don't see your family/kids much I would say make the switch.

roadwarrior60

Established Member
tough question. question: do you have wife/kids?? if so, i would say take the other job so you can actually spend time with your wife and watch you kids grow up. however, at the same time...........do you really want to be walking away from any kind of job right now?? just remember, if you take the new job, you are now low man on the totem pole. so if the shit goes sour, who do you think is going to be the first to go?? food for thought as i am kind of having to deal with a smiliar situation right now.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
Depends on how your off-time is set. For me, with a young girl at home I'd take the lesser pay and hours to have more time with my daughter. If I was single I would make as much as I could and work whatever hours were required.

I didn't vote as I think the above is very important before giving a vote.

I am married with a child due at the end of June. I will add that above thanks :beer:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Thats a tough choice. Personally I would take the 40 hour a week job because I would hate to work 80 hours. I wouldn't want to sell my life for the almighty dollar like that.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
+1! I totally agree. If you are fortunate enough to pull down that kind of coin while you are young, I'd say stick with it as long as you can, and bank as much as you can, which should be easy since you obviously don't have a ton of free time to spend it anyway! Then when you get to the time you want to settle down with a family and such, then switch to a job with less demands on your time, even if it means a cut in pay.

I seem to fit both. I am young (25) and I am about to be a father in 2 short months.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I am married with a child due at the end of June. I will add that above thanks :beer:

:beer: Congrats btw. PM sent as well.
With that info I voted to take the lesser hours. Family is much more important, not just for spending time with your child but also with helping out the wife.

2003 Silver

Banned
Other factors to consider in today's economy:

-what is it that you do
-which company is more stable
-don't count on raises for the next few yrs. as they may not be in the cards at either place of work

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
Other factors to consider in today's economy:

-what is it that you do
-which company is more stable
-don't count on raises for the next few yrs. as they may not be in the cards at either place of work

-I am in sales and can always find a sales related job.
-Both about equally stable and equal growth opportunity.
-I cannot get a pay raise at my current job unless I get a promotion or sell more. If I am factoring in no raises I can still live a humble life at the other job and provide enough for my family.

Last edited:

2003 Silver

Banned
-I am in sales and can always find a sales related job.
-Both about equally stable and equal growth opportunity.
-I cannot get a pay raise at my current job unless I get a promotion or sell more. If I am factoring in no raises I can still live a humble life at the other job and provide enough for my family.

Did you look for this new opportunity or did it come to you? Point being...if you didn't look for it, maybe there are better paying opportunities if you do look for one at the hours you want.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
Did you look for this new opportunity or did it come to you? Point being...if you didn't look for it, maybe there are better paying opportunities if you do look for one at the hours you want.

I was looking and this one found me. Some of the best jobs I have gotten have been from a friend. This is one of those opportunities. For the process to work at the new place I had 3 different interviews and the final being a panel/ rapid question interview through targeted selection and the hiring mangers offered me more money and let me know about the pay scale slide if performance is right. The better I am and with more tenure the more money I am guaranteed to make. Currently all the money I make is still performance based but commission only and overrides on employee performance. It has always been consistent for me (the last 4 years in the industry) even with the economy. The only thing that hasn't changed is the time spent at the office. :lol1:

2003 Silver

Banned
I was looking and this one found me. Some of the best jobs I have gotten have been from a friend. This is one of those opportunities. For the process to work at the new place I had 3 different interviews and the final being a panel/ rapid question interview through targeted selection and the hiring mangers offered me more money and let me know about the pay scale slide if performance is right. The better I am and with more tenure the more money I am guaranteed to make. Currently all the money I make is still performance based but commission only and overrides on employee performance. It has always been consistent for me (the last 4 years in the industry) even with the economy. The only thing that hasn't changed is the time spent at the office. :lol1:

Well...you definitely have covered all corners IMO...good luck with your decision.:beer:

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
Thats a tough choice. Personally I would take the 40 hour a week job because I would hate to work 80 hours. I wouldn't want to sell my life for the almighty dollar like that.

:beer: Congrats btw. PM sent as well.
With that info I voted to take the lesser hours. Family is much more important, not just for spending time with your child but also with helping out the wife.

Thanks for the feed back guys :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread