What would you do with a new employment opportunity?

What would you do with a new employment opportunity?

• Keep 90k job (18-24 years old)

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Keep 90k job (25-32 years old)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Keep 90k job (33+ years old)

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Change to 55k job (18-24 years old)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Change to 55k job (25-32 years old)

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Change to 55k job (33+ years old)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LSUstang05

Established Member
My step-father is in sales and while he works a TON of hours, he is able to take off days if he wants or needs since he doesn't work out of an office (his office is in the house). If you are able to do something like this so you wont miss any planned events like birthday parties or sporting events (dancing, ballet, etc...) I would say keep the current job for at least another 1-3 years just so you put away more money. Even though I'm young (21), my suggestion is that you change your lifestyle to the 55 hour/week job and start putting away even more of your paycheck every month and then in a year or two change over to a job that has less time requirements so you can be with your family more but have enough savings for your child's college fund and in an emergency account in case you need it.

Edit (this is a complete 180 of what I previously posted lol): After reading a few more of your responses, I'd switch. You said it earlier, you can always get back into the game. Spend time with your daughter and wife, change your lifestyle so you aren't going without at the new job and once your daughter turns into a teenager I'd say start working more. She wont want to be around you and as long as you can take off for important events (homecoming, dances, prom, etc...) you probably wont be missing too much. the biggest thing I can say is that no matter what job you take (new or keeping the old), you NEED to be home for dinner. Me and my family always had family dinners with everybody around the table, even if it was just Taco Bell or Burger King. Being able to sit down with my mom and step-dad and 3 younger siblings was always a good way to wind down the day for me (even though I told my mom I hated it at the time :lol: ).

Who knows, if you switch to the new job and perform exceptionally well you may be promoted to a managerial position where you make even more than you currently make with less hours than you are currently working, too. You never know what is in the cards until the hand is dealt.

Last edited:

98slowbra

Established Member
You got to do what you like that is the most important thing here, but do you like your current job? Do you think the new job will be a better job for you or worse? I moved jobs for the money and I hated it and wish I stayed with my old job. I fianlly got my old job back and I am very happy now. Quality of life with you family is a must, but if you do not like your job you will bring that home and it will effect your whole family and bring everyone down. This is a tough decision but family comes 1st in my book because you only see your kids grow up once. If you think the new job will be just as good as the old one I would go for it, money is not everything, and you will not know if you will like or hate the new job, but if you do not try it you will not know. Just think if you did try it and liked it very much and had more time with your family I am sure you will be happy even though the salary is not as much as your current salary. But if you hate the new job it will effect your home life and family. You have a hard decision to make but I am sure you will make the correct one. This is just my $.02.

2k3gt

Established Member
What's the point of living life if you can't enjoy it and spend as much time with loved ones as you possibly can? Think about it, you have a kid on the way...he/she isn't going to be a child forever. If you have a decent amount of money in savings, 55k is enough to live comfortably off of, as long as you don't try to live above your means.

..this is coming from a 22 year old "kid" who had a dad that worked 70+ hours a week when I was growing up. I rarely got to spend much time with him, and when I did, he was so exhausted from working 12+ hour days that we didn't really do much. With 20/20 hindsight, he really regrets working so much when my sister and I were growing up.

Users who are viewing this thread