What would you do with a new employment opportunity?

What would you do with a new employment opportunity?

• Keep 90k job (18-24 years old)

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Keep 90k job (25-32 years old)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Keep 90k job (33+ years old)

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Change to 55k job (18-24 years old)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Change to 55k job (25-32 years old)

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Change to 55k job (33+ years old)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Saving has never been a problem. I have always made financially responsible decisions. My biggest concern is work/ life balance and with the addition of a child. When is "too much" too much?

Would be nice if I don't burn out first :lol1:

I have worked 12 hour shifts averaging 60-72 hours a week for the past 5 years now. My daughter was born last year and I have cut back now to 40-60 hours depending on the wife's schedule as my shift rotates. On my days off I get to take care of my daughter and all I can say is spend as much time with your child as you can, you will never think twice about it. I have gotten to see every little thing she has learned to do and I wouldn't trade it for all the money in world. Many father's just don't get to experience it as they have to work relentlessly to provide and I think it has become taken for granted in our socitey...not to mention that your child's development depends alot on the time you spend with them. You can always go back to working more as they approach teenage years and develop their own life. This economy though presents it's own set of problems so decide carefully. I also wanted to have the energy to do things with her and not be so tired from work that I didn't feel like taking her places and playing so that factored in as well...I guess it just depends on the job too!

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
If you are young and single work hard and save it up, if your married and don't see your family/kids much I would say make the switch.

Seems to make the most sence at this point...

tough question. question: do you have wife/kids?? if so, i would say take the other job so you can actually spend time with your wife and watch you kids grow up. however, at the same time...........do you really want to be walking away from any kind of job right now?? just remember, if you take the new job, you are now low man on the totem pole. so if the shit goes sour, who do you think is going to be the first to go?? food for thought as i am kind of having to deal with a smiliar situation right now.

If you don't want to post up could you give me some insight to your situation via PM? I am basically looking for insight that may just make up my mind completely.

2003 Silver

Banned
Thanks. I am sure you voted, but what would 1268 do?

Actually, I did not vote as it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks but you. I would have a hard time putting in that many hours as an employee for someone else.....different story if you are the owner.

hunterp

Established Member
Money is great and all, but I've never heard anyone who looked back on their life and wished they'd worked more hours. There are plenty of regrets though about missed opportunities that you'll never get back with family and friends.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
Actually, I did not vote as it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks but you. I would have a hard time putting in that many hours as an employee for someone else.....different story if you are the owner.

Yep... I feel the same way about the time. Thanks for the questions for thought.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
I have worked 12 hour shifts averaging 60-72 hours a week for the past 5 years now. My daughter was born last year and I have cut back now to 40-60 hours depending on the wife's schedule as my shift rotates. On my days off I get to take care of my daughter and all I can say is spend as much time with your child as you can, you will never think twice about it. I have gotten to see every little thing she has learned to do and I wouldn't trade it for all the money in world. Many father's just don't get to experience it as they have to work relentlessly to provide and I think it has become taken for granted in our socitey...not to mention that your child's development depends alot on the time you spend with them. You can always go back to working more as they approach teenage years and develop their own life. This economy though presents it's own set of problems so decide carefully. I also wanted to have the energy to do things with her and not be so tired from work that I didn't feel like taking her places and playing so that factored in as well...I guess it just depends on the job too!

This makes sense.

Money is great and all, but I've never heard anyone who looked back on their life and wished they'd worked more hours. There are plenty of regrets though about missed opportunities that you'll never get back with family and friends.

Very true too.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you were in a situation where you currently work 70-80 hours a week to make about 90k a year, but you are given the opportunity at a new job to work no more than 45 hours a week to make 55k (with a 5 year potential to max out at 80k and still keep the same work hours) would you switch? The jobs would be very similar in style (basically the same thing).

Please tell me you age range and why or why you wouldn’t make the switch. It would be great if you could respond through your own life experiences and/or perspective.

Edit:
For me, I have a wife with a kid on the way. I have enough saved and minimal bills that the money isn't a huge factor, but I would have to change my life style some (which isn't that bad).

If you calculate overtime simply at time and a half, you would make more at the new job. Your current job you make $18.71/hour (based on 75 hrs/wk). The new job you would make $22.25/hr (based on 45 hrs/wk).

As already noted above it depends on the quality of life you want. You will never get back the time you miss with your child.

Good luck.

CBrowning84

Established Member
If it were ME I would stay at the 90k job. If I were in YOUR shoes, i'd switch to the 55k job. If you think about it you're actually getting a raise based off hours. (edit: what ^ FordVTFan said)
Ask your wife what she thinks, this should factor greatly into your decision, as you guys are family and what you do affects her.
Personally I think family/friends/enjoying life is more important than anything. Not saying you can't balance all that, but when the baby comes I'm sure you're going to be needed a lot more.

I don't have personal experiance with any of that, but a buddy of mine has a kid and works around 50-60 hours/week and is struggling with helping his girl with the kid, working, and trying to spend time with friends.

Last edited:

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
If you calculate overtime simply at time and a half, you would make more at the new job. Your current job you make $18.71/hour (based on 75 hrs/wk). The new job you would make $22.25/hr (based on 45 hrs/wk).

As already noted above it depends on the quality of life you want. You will never get back the time you miss with your child.

Good luck.

Funny enough, that is the first thing I did (the math). :lol1:

I want to be a good father and help my wife and see my child grow up, but I also want to provide and make sure he doesn't go with out.

If it were ME I would stay at the 90k job. If I were in YOUR shoes, i'd switch to the 55k job. If you think about it you're actually getting a raise based off hours. (edit: what ^ FordVTFan said)
Ask your wife what she thinks, this should factor greatly into your decision, as you guys are family and what you do affects her.
Personally I think family/friends/enjoying life is more important than anything. Not saying you can't balance all that, but when the baby comes I'm sure you're going to be needed a lot more.

I don't have personal experiance with any of that, but a buddy of mine has a kid and works around 50-60 hours/week and is struggling with helping his girl with the kid, working, and trying to spend time with friends.

Very true. We have spoken and she always leaves decisions up to me. She is an amazing woman and very supportive, I just don't want her to feel like a single mother but I want to (as a man) make sure I can provide for them.

canibus

Established Member
What if you didn't work as much at the 90k job. Since it's all sales i'm sure you can leave anytime after your 8 right?

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
What if you didn't work as much at the 90k job. Since it's all sales i'm sure you can leave anytime after your 8 right?

The only reason I make the money I do make is because we almost always hit our targeted numbers and the hours I work are required of me to make sure we hit them. My job is commission and override only. My income depends on what I can close and what my team can get closed under my guidance. The less opportunities I have the less I make. The further we are away from goal the less I make. I have to have my finger on the pulse pushing to win.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
wife, no wife, family, no family... switch. Aint no reason to work that many hours when you can make near that money soon, working half that time.

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
A couple things to consider:
- There is a very short period of time where your kids will want to hang out with you. When they are young you are their superman, IMO its very important to be able to participate.
- Its not very much fun working all the time and working hard but not having the time to enjoy that which you have earned.
- Several businesmen I know have very disconected relationships with their kids and are now divorced due to their commitment to their businesses rather than family.

As you may have guessed I have been in your situation and choose less time/earning potential to place a greater emphasis on family. Its what works for me. Only you can decide what will work for you.

Best of luck and congrats on the upcoming kiddo :)

Last edited:

jf4boogie

Established Member
decisions decisions...

Good luck with your choice as it seems like a "fork in the road" moment for ya.

BTW-- What exactly is it that you sale (if you dont mind me asking of course)...

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
I strongly believe it is all about the quality of life. However, quality of life is also affected by money, and how well you are/will be able to provide for your family.

Just like everything else, balance is key. You cannot have a happy life without having a stable job and sufficient income to provide housing, food, entertainment, education, etc. You also can't have a happy life if you are not able to enjoy what your money buys. If you have the savings, and are comfortable with the stability of the 55k job, then it's not a bad deal. (In some parts of the country, thats not bad money.) If quitting the 90k job means sacrificing the quality of life for you and your family, then it makes no sense as it offers no advantage either way. Id say save up, cut costs, and then position yourself to be comfortable with a pay cut and keep the same lifestyle.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you. I have been in that same boat and nothing is better than being happy at work, loving what you do and having time to share your day with people you love. In the end, you realize that money comes easy when your job is not a chore. You do your job well, you get positive reviews, your boss gives you what you deserve. :beer:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
where is the work a few more hrs and make 100k opton :shrug:

lol

it depends on how much you enjoy your job compared to your thoughts on the new gig.,., although, with this economy, might not want to make any moves, idk, tough one

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
If the lesser-paying job is secure and you know you won't lose it due to them closing down or something, and you can live comfortably on that income, go for it. 80 hours is great while you're single, but once the baby comes, you will definitely want to spend time with your family.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
A couple things to consider:
- There is a very short period of time where your kids will want to hang out with you. When they are young you are their superman, IMO its very important to be able to participate.
- Its not very much fun working all the time and working hard but not having the time to enjoy that which you have earned.
- Several businesmen I know have very disconected relationships with their kids and are now divorced due to their commitment to their businesses rather than family.

As you may have guessed I have been in your situation and choose less time/earning potential to place a greater emphasis on family. Its what works for me. Only you can decide what will work for you.

Best of luck and congrats on the upcoming kiddo :)

All things that are running through my head. I know I can always get back in the game latter if need be but I have been burning the candle at both ends for years to get where I am at and I think time has come for a shift in my priorities.

Thanks! I am very happy and fortunate to be a father (so many blessings)

decisions decisions...

Good luck with your choice as it seems like a "fork in the road" moment for ya.

BTW-- What exactly is it that you sale (if you dont mind me asking of course)...

Fork in the road has been coming for a while :lol1:

I strongly believe it is all about the quality of life. However, quality of life is also affected by money, and how well you are/will be able to provide for your family.

Just like everything else, balance is key. You cannot have a happy life without having a stable job and sufficient income to provide housing, food, entertainment, education, etc. You also can't have a happy life if you are not able to enjoy what your money buys. If you have the savings, and are comfortable with the stability of the 55k job, then it's not a bad deal. (In some parts of the country, thats not bad money.) If quitting the 90k job means sacrificing the quality of life for you and your family, then it makes no sense as it offers no advantage either way. Id say save up, cut costs, and then position yourself to be comfortable with a pay cut and keep the same lifestyle.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you. I have been in that same boat and nothing is better than being happy at work, loving what you do and having time to share your day with people you love. In the end, you realize that money comes easy when your job is not a chore. You do your job well, you get positive reviews, your boss gives you what you deserve. :beer:

I have been in a situation where I have been able to minimize my debt and save a decent amount of money. The nice thing is even with a change we can still save money and in a couple of years hopefully get my earning back up (including my wife).

Thanks for the input :beer:

where is the work a few more hrs and make 100k opton :shrug:

lol

it depends on how much you enjoy your job compared to your thoughts on the new gig.,., although, with this economy, might not want to make any moves, idk, tough one

I wish I could make the 100k off 20 hrs a week deal :lol1:

Honestly, I am not too worried about the change and starting a new job. I feel like I can make at least 55k in an entry level to management sales job just about anywhere I go with my skill set.
I wish I had a clearance though and nice govt job :-D

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
If the lesser-paying job is secure and you know you won't lose it due to them closing down or something, and you can live comfortably on that income, go for it. 80 hours is great while you're single, but once the baby comes, you will definitely want to spend time with your family.

The job is very secure and operates on a high profit margin. It won't be "comfortable" to my standards but it is workable. I am willing to make the small sacrifices necessary to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread