What would you pay for an average 03/04 with 80-100k?

BladeX10

Established Member
I've been out of the loop for a few years. Its finally time to kill the itch. I'm going to be paying cash so i can eliminate the whole financing thing, So i cant justify spending $20k+ for a low mileage car at the moment since it wont be a garage queen.

So my question is, What are 80-100k mile Cobras going for these days realistically?

BdJames

Established Member
I personally wouldn't pay more than 14-15k for that high of mileage. That number could be adjusted either way by a few hundred depending on the cars condition both inside and out.

BladeX10

Established Member
I personally wouldn't pay more than 14-15k for that high of mileage. That number could be adjusted either way by a few hundred depending on the cars condition both inside and out.

That seems to be about what i'd be willing to pay with cash. Around $12-$15k, I was looking at buying a 10th Anniversary Torch Red Cobra with 88k on it for $14.5k in 2010 but i couldnt get financed in time and he sold it. There was another for $15.5k with 82k aswell. This time i'm going to have cash waiting so i if i see one of these good deals pop up, Ill jump on it like flies on crap.

Pruitt146

Established Member
Well bud I'm picking up a 03 vert today with 81k and I'm paying 16,900. Car has tons of mods, new top, aftermarket wheels, new clutch and it's local lol. Another plus for me it is zinc yellow and I'm one of the few that actually like the color. I feel the same as you about paying mid 20's for a garage queen. I've been there done that and I'm buying this one to enjoy.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I just picked up my Terminator last week but had been searching for a solid two months for the right deal. I was in the same boat as you and couldn't justify paying $20K for a summer car. My search radius was 300 miles and I found the median price for a Cobra with 90K+ plus miles to be about $15.5. Granted I'm in New York where they're relatively rare while you're in Cali where there more plentiful so I think you can scoop one up for a little less. Ideally for the mileage you quoted I would agree that between $15-$16K would be your sweet spot. Good Luck.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I don't think you can really just say the mid teen's for a high milage cobra. Mine had 94k on it but doesn't look a mile over 20k. The condition they're kept in, how they are driven, mods that are done to them, and the overall history should be the base factor IMO. If I were to sell my car right now there's no way i'd take anything less than 18-19k.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think you can really just say the mid teen's for a high milage cobra. Mine had 94k on it but doesn't look a mile over 20k. The condition they're kept in, how they are driven, mods that are done to them, and the overall history should be the base factor IMO. If I were to sell my car right now there's no way i'd take anything less than 18-19k.

Same here...... my car with 118 looks better than some of the crap thats posted for sale with a dirty, surface rusted engine bay with 30 -50k miles.

Potential buyers act like, a car with 35k miles isnt gonna blow up if they get on it hard.

At the end of the day, I still have 650 dependable rwhp on the street and well the other guy is still a tire kicker because he sees threads like this and BELIEVES that all Cobras with high mileage are a $ mid-teen$ car. Most are, not mine

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
I would say 15k and under depending on condition. I bought my 03 a year ago 125k 1 owner bone stock for $12k.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Same here...... my car with 118 looks better than some of the crap thats posted for sale with a dirty, surface rusted engine bay with 30 -50k miles.

Potential buyers act like, a car with 35k miles isnt gonna blow up if they get on it hard.

At the end of the day, I still have 650 dependable rwhp on the street and well the other guy is still a tire kicker because he sees threads like this and BELIEVES that all Cobras with high mileage are a $ mid-teen$ car. Most are, not mine

Absolutely agree. There is a general consensus that high mileage cobras are the devil, when in reality there are some out there like ours that are just as good if not better than lower mile cars with the same mods. You'll know you have a good car when you meet the owner, that is the tell all about what condition the car is in.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
imo miles are miles. For a 100k mile car I'd pay between $13k-$16k. $13k for poor condition and $16k for excellent condition based on exterior condition only and unmodded. The miles are still on the drivetrain whether it looks like its brand new or not.

8gtoklr

Established Member
I bought mine for 17k with 115k....but had all new drivetrain from radiator to back of the car lol. Dont let chassis miles get in the way unless hits been hit, abused etc...

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
You are buying the car not the miles

That being said I would say no more then 16k if it was perfect and 14k if its not in the best of condition

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
imo miles are miles. For a 100k mile car I'd pay between $13k-$16k. $13k for poor condition and $16k for excellent condition based on exterior condition only and unmodded. The miles are still on the drivetrain whether it looks like its brand new or not.

Key word here in your quote being "looks new". But if a owner has gone through it, rebuilt it stronger and done the correct maintenace on it, than a potential buyer needs to understand the price is going to reflect that. I think some loose sight of that. (But this also supports the , "you will never get your money out of mods that you add to your car") Just my opinion.

I see you are addressing an unmodded high mileage car, so I agree with your analogy sir.:beer:

That being said I would say no more then 16k if it was perfect and 14k if its not in the best of condition

Just to clarify for the sake of this paricular thread, we are talking about a stock Cobra, 100+ miles with little to no mods correct? If that is the case I agree with the mid teen pricing.

Last edited:

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member

^^Totally agree! With higher mileage cars, the condition, usage and mods really make a big difference. At 90k miles, you could have either a run down mule, on its last legs..... or a well cared for stallion with plenty of life left it it. Especially if it has some new stuff on it, like a clutch, tires, etc.

Do you really think there is only a $2k value difference from a beater and a really nice 'driver'. I guarantee you will spend a lot more than $2k transforming a ragged out beater into something respectable.

This is exactly why my SHARP 91k mile TR '04 is not on the market anymore. I had it listed FS last summer. Had lots of interest. A few offers in the $15-$16.5 range. Just decided I would rather keep it, than let it go for less than $18k

No offense to folks looking for a good deal! I have went out of my way to keep my cobra in very good shape, and am not letting it go for the same price as a beater!!

GLWB !

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
This is exactly why my SHARP 91k mile TR '04 is not on the market anymore. I had it listed FS last summer. Had lots of interest. A few offers in the $15-$16.5 range. Just decided I would rather keep it, than let it go for less than $18k

No offense to folks looking for a good deal! I have went out of my way to keep my cobra in very good shape, and am not letting it go for the same price as a beater!!

GLWB !

Are you the original owner? Just curious because that's another factor. Most 100k mile cars have had multiple owners. The current owner may keep up with it but who knows its history.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Are you the original owner? Just curious because that's another factor. Most 100k mile cars have had multiple owners. The current owner may keep up with it but who knows its history.

Yes, I am the original owner. Purchased in Sept of '04 with only ~30 miles on the clock! It had the little card under the seat showing it was taken around the test track a couple times by SVT QC. :)

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member

Yep. Mine runs, shows, paint, seats, compression, etc, etc better/nicer then honestly about 99% I've see. My car has 108k, honest to god shows like a 15k mile queen. Totally adult owned it's entire life. Not even a stone chip, drivers seat looks utterly new. 1000's in extras and maintaince, just installed a virtually 0 mile Posi race port, currently awaiting a retune. I wouldn't let it go for a penny less then 17.5-18.5 .... I'd challenge someone to find a nicer one in better shape. I have about a dozen buddies with 03-04's and I'd say only one is nicer then mine, but his has never had water on it (one owner). I also know a few with 25-30k and are on their 3rd-4th engine ... what does that tell ya ? Mileage is nothing, it's how it was driven and cared for. According to the prices, if my odometer didn't read what it did it would easily be a 21-24k car.

Low or high mile cars .... Doesn't matter, it's how it was cared for. Like mentioned above, they're all over youtube (low mile) blown up, ticking, and having the $hit beat out of them. The mileage and condition of some of our cars is really a testament.

Users who are viewing this thread