What you running for PCV??

sharptech

Established Member
So I have been searching the crap outta forums and find lots of stuff on old mustangs but not much on the newer ones. I just installed the Paxton and don't really like the hack job of the pcv routing I had to do, and the little ball valves sent to me are kinda a joke on keeping back pressure. Do most of you guys just attach breather filters on the stock valve cover nipples, or are you running catch cans, or like MMR vent can? Just trying to figure out if it is worth keeping the stock PCV system or just throwin a set of filters on there. Thanks guys

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'm running little K&N breathers. They do get oily, had to clean some mild oil off the passenger side valve cover last week.

sharptech

Established Member
So you just run the filters on the stock PCV valves then? Or did you put something in place of them? Just makin sure lol

Voltwings

Established Member
You can have both. I'm always a fan of having a vacuum on the crankcase during Daily driving, but obviously when boosted you need some means of crankcase ventilation.

The setup we've done on several cars is pretty simple:

Driver side PCV fitting to one side of a vented can
Passenger side PCV to the other side of a vented can
T into the passenger side line and run it to a sealed can
attach Intake manifold to the other side of the sealed can.

Check valve is placed between the IM and can that will close when the IM sees positive pressure
Check valve is placed between the passenger side PCV fitting and vented can oriented so that it will close under vacuum, and open in the event of crankcase pressure.

I wish i was at home and could post a picture of this, but some will notice this is a sealed system, but has a vent on the drivers side. This will cause a slight vacuum leak, but that's also really your only means of getting fresh air into the crankcase, and it is easily noted and/or compensated for in the tune. Sometimes its not even enough to warrant adjusting the fuel trims.

Obviously not the cheapest way, but certainly i feel its the best.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I've run breathers, which are very effective and cheap. For a more expensive setup I went to a Peterson catch can setup with braided lines. Very effective, clean, and a nice looking setup.

cjd223

Established Member
Or just replace the passenger side PCV valve with one off an Ecoboost F150. Costs about $5.00

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I have breathers on both sides with passenger check ball removed. Not getting any oil anywhere like a few others have stated. FYI

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I run both sides to a vented tank that is mounted out of sight.
f82a2ef47533a6f98989aa93c466eb38.jpg

sharptech

Established Member
It's interesting all the different ways to run it. On one hand I hear that if the car is a daily driver then having some vacuum is good, but if both sides are vented all pressure is relieved, just not vacuumed out. Maybe it's my OCD but this is confusing. Usually track only cars seem to run open breathers, but on the flipside some say that there needs to be fresh air entering the motor, which cant happen if there is no vacuum on the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread