what's needed for 125 traps

ctgreddy

Established Member
i dont want to get caught up in the horsepower game, so curious what i'll need on top of my current mods to achieve this goal. the car is a stock weight 03 cobra, mods are in the sig. I know i'll need more, next up i'm thinking a 4lb lower, longtubes, and possibly gt cams if they're worth it? also when i get dyno tuned for all that I'll either switch to e85 or keep it pump gas and throw a 50/75 shot on it. what do you guys think i could do currently, and with e85 and the other mods or a small shot. thanks guys.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
i dont want to get caught up in the horsepower game, so curious what i'll need on top of my current mods to achieve this goal. the car is a stock weight 03 cobra, mods are in the sig. I know i'll need more, next up i'm thinking a 4lb lower, longtubes, and possibly gt cams if they're worth it? also when i get dyno tuned for all that I'll either switch to e85 or keep it pump gas and throw a 50/75 shot on it. what do you guys think i could do currently, and with e85 and the other mods or a small shot. thanks guys.

Posi ported blower on E85, 2.93 or 2.8 upper/4lb lower, stock longblock, LT's should trap 125+ IMO

Heck I trapped 120.1 mph unported 2.8 upper only on 93 with some AFS 17" wheels and NT 555 (non-R) tires. Leaving at idle... 80* Texas heat... canned predator tune. Of course my MPH dopped to 118-119 when I got out of the 12.4 range and down to 11.7...

Ported and E85 w/LT's?

Throw a 75 on it and look out for 130's.. with a good tune and good driving of course...

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
with the previous owner the car did 11.8's at 118 with a 2.8, jlt intake, midpipe/catback, and a rich tune. that was with only an hour of cool down as well. i think as of now the car should have a low 120 trap in it, just know i'm going to want more. really think a 75 shot on top of what i have now would get me near 130's?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well, from a bench race perspective, it would probably take 550 RWHP with a 3,800 lb race weight to solidly break the 125 MPH barrier. Achieving that kind of RWHP with an Eaton without nitrous is extremely difficult and very very rare. Cams would certainly do it if surrounded correctly, but pretty costly and not a great bang for your buck, especially considering how easy it is to just install an aftermarket blower.

Be that it may, now it becomes a little more obvious why so many of us have gotten that race weight below 3,600 lbs! Reducing race weight is the same as adding power......

Last edited:

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Posi ported blower on E85, 2.93 or 2.8 upper/4lb lower, stock longblock, LT's should trap 125+ IMO

Heck I trapped 120.1 mph unported 2.8 upper only on 93 with some AFS 17" wheels and NT 555 (non-R) tires. Leaving at idle... 80* Texas heat... canned predator tune. Of course my MPH dopped to 118-119 when I got out of the 12.4 range and down to 11.7...

Ported and E85 w/LT's?

Throw a 75 on it and look out for 130's.. with a good tune and good driving of course...

120 mph with a upper pulley and no port on street tires??

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member

I have seen 123 on a upper only full weight coupe. It's very doable. I think with a port, full exhaust, intake, tune 125 can be achieved in good weather obviously. I don't like using dyno numbers but with 500rwhp in a coupe 125 can be done.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

I did that numerous times with a 2.76 upper and once with a 2.93. 119 was the norm for the 2.93 and regular radials. 121-122 was the norm with the 2.76. Of course there were a handful of runs where I got a little too much wheel spin out of the hole and lost trap speed. All of that was with the IRS as well.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
It's possible without E-85 and cams, when my vert had a posi ported eaton I was able to make it trap 127 @ Famoso (Bakersfield, CA). I will say though the car was taken on a trailor and had a trunk mounted intercooler res. box stuffed with ice, but still I'm on the west coast so our cars run slower here :lol1:

[youtube_browser]Poet7tVSchE[/youtube_browser]

Here's a break down of the cars setup:

Posi Ported Eaton
Accufab plenum (Ported by Posi as well)
Accufab Single Blade
SCT MAF
Kooks Long tubes
2.93 Upper / 6lb lower
C&L Intake

Car has a built SRA with 4.10's, K-member, and a Mcleod twin disk. Hope this helps :beer:

mustang john

Established Member
Shed some weight and use ice and get your 4# lower, that will get you your 125 traps. I used to trap 122 and 11.3s unported with an SRA as my biggest mod pretty much full weight. The addition of the port to that combo got me 126 trap speeds and 11.0s.

Last edited:

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
I didn't realize it was so common to get 120+mph. My 04 had a upper pulley with a cai and exhaust on a drag radial and its best was 118mph.

mustang john

Established Member
I didn't realize it was so common to get 120+mph. My 04 had a upper pulley with a cai and exhaust on a drag radial and its best was 118mph.

I would give alot of credit to my unported 122 traps to iceing the intecooler down. I was running a 2.76/4# pulley combo unported, most would say it was too much unported but with ice at the track it ran very well.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I would give alot of credit to my unported 122 traps to iceing the intecooler down. I was running a 2.76/4# pulley combo unported, most would say it was too much unported but with ice at the track it ran very well.

I didn't run as aggressive of a combo non-ported, but I do agree with the icing. I would drop 1-3mph if I didn't ice it depending on the outside temp that night.

CobraStruck

Fastest Eaton/6-Speed/IRS
Established Member
Agree with lots of ICE!! Its the only way to make an Eaton quick! I'm around 3530 race weight. Trapped 126 multiple times with Upper Only, CAI, Off Road X, and Cat-back. My old Ported Upper/Lower trapped 132 at a 3650 race weight. Its very possilble with your mods list you are just going to have to let it eat!

ctgreddy

Established Member
ill do all that i can to let it eat! by iceing the intercooler you guys just mena draining the reservoir and then filling it with ice correct? I have the lethal reservoir with the drain on it so i was planning on doing that as well as putting a bag of ice on top of the blower to try and cool it down, i have no option other than driving the car the 1 hour trip to the strip so it'll be nice and hot already unfortunately.

mustang john

Established Member
It needs a full ice down... pull the intercooler relay and jumper it so it runs full time while you have the hood up cooling the car. Crack the drain open on your reservour and let it slowly drain, feed in ice till it stops melting and all IC lines are cold. Let the reservour drain at least half way and close it off, pack it as full of ice as possible and remove the jumper wire. Best to push the car thru the lanes and reinstall the relay as late as possible before you run. Bang! big MPH from an Eaton!! lol

I have used 20-30+ pounds of ice in one night of racing, that was only good for 4 passes lol.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
It needs a full ice down... pull the intercooler relay and jumper it so it runs full time while you have the hood up cooling the car. Crack the drain open on your reservour and let it slowly drain, feed in ice till it stops melting and all IC lines are cold. Let the reservour drain at least half way and close it off, pack it as full of ice as possible and remove the jumper wire. Best to push the car thru the lanes and reinstall the relay as late as possible before you run. Bang! big MPH from an Eaton!! lol

I have used 20-30+ pounds of ice in one night of racing, that was only good for 4 passes lol.

This....I usually buy the 22lb bag and use all of it. Last time out I had a friend snag a 7lb bag also. It was so hot that just cooling the car down after the drive used most of the big bag. Used the rest as described above.

Huff035

Established Member
I have

Posi Eaton, 2.76 / 4lb lower, intake, LT's, exhaust, brace only IRS with 18's all around on street tires and trapped 126, no icing just some cool down time.
I'm starting to think by someone elses comment that the dyno was reading a little low for my trap speed because it only put down 505.

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
My current iceing method is soon to be replaced with a Killer Chiller drag kit with the HE removed and all IC lines insulated and reservour insulated. Hopefully i can get close the same results with alot less hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread