what's needed for 125 traps

ctgreddy

Established Member
i'd love to get a killer chiller but they're just so expensive! it is going to suck having a car where i can go do a 12x trap at the track then on the street i'll lose to anything trapping over 118 or so due to all the heat.

mustang john

Established Member
i'd love to get a killer chiller but they're just so expensive! it is going to suck having a car where i can go do a 12x trap at the track then on the street i'll lose to anything trapping over 118 or so due to all the heat.

Well when you consider the cost of HEs and Reservoirs combined that dont really do much the extra cost of a KC that will definetly show results is well worth it!!

Just think about having your Eaton run like its iced for the track 100% of the time... Now how is that not worth it? :burnout:

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
my car came with the bigger h/e and the lethal intercooler jug, so i dont really have to worry about how much it was lol. I'm sure i'll get a killer chiller, especially since i have no plans of getting rid of the blower other than for a bigger blower.

stang910

Established Member
I trapped 126 with my setup. I had a 3.1" upper and 6lb lower, ported eaton, plenum and throttle body and I was using a crappy CAI. The car also had a killer chiller which helped alot at keeping the car consistantly fast. The only weight reduction I had was an aluminum block and a solid rear.

NateV8

Established Member
125 traps are not hard. I trapped 125 in my full weight vert, on bald street tires, with a stage 3 port, 2.76 upper, stock headers, stock longblock, stock lower.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
125 traps are not hard. I trapped 125 in my full weight vert, on bald street tires, with a stage 3 port, 2.76 upper, stock headers, stock longblock, stock lower.

So 3780 + whatever you weight let's say 39xx with you in it and a 500whp car going 125??? :lol: you talking about almost 4k on weight to trap 125+ with mentioned HP.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
My car weighed 3775 when it went 125 with 490 wheel. I guess Nate and I must be lying, like the rest of the guys that had upper only ported blower cars running near that trap speed.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
You guys must've had 50* temps and very happy track.. Have seen many ported blower cobras at our local track doing 122+ all day

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
You guys must've had 50* temps and very happy track.. Have seen many ported blower cobras at our local track doing 122+ all day

It was 70-80 for those passes and it happened at two different tracks for me. I guess since all of the ones you have seen only run 122, we all do :-D
Do they ice? Can they actually drive? Makes a big difference if they use ice.

mustang john

Established Member
Mine made 452, stock weight, plus me which is about 200, and MT Street Drag radials. I ran 11.8 @ 125.

Sorry but i have to call a generous trap timer there, i had the same setup making 450ish rwhp and ran 11.8 @ 118.

You guys have to keep in mind every track is different just like every dyno is different. Not to the same extent as dynos but still different. Different altitudes, timer setups and just plain human error when setting up timers.

Our old track Alamo Dragway (now closed due to being extemely crappy) used to have the timers setup so it looked like you ran faster at their track compared to the nice IHRA sanctioned track San Antonio Raceway that was across town. My car trapped 2-3 mph faster at Alamo than at SAR without any difference in ET and we all knew it was a bogus timer setup.

Last edited:

Speed Demon

Established Member
You dont need over 500 rwhp to hit 125. I ran 10.90's @ 125 with the #'s in sig. unported @ 3660 lbs. It takes alot of icing down and a good driver to hit 125 traps, and my mid 1.4 60 fts didn't hurt either! I also have ran 127 several times in good air with 20 more hp than whats in my sig.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
Weight reduction on a cool day and great track prep. You should get close. Also doesn't hurt if it's one of those days at the track where you are "just feeling it" and ripping off some good slips!

mustang john

Established Member
You dont need over 500 rwhp to hit 125. I ran 10.90's @ 125 with the #'s in sig. unported @ 3660 lbs. It takes alot of icing down and a good driver to hit 125 traps, and my mid 1.4 60 fts didn't hurt either! I also have ran 127 several times in good air with 20 more hp than whats in my sig.

Some are blessed with a bit more driving ability than others lol! Best i could muster unported using icing and a race weight of around 3700 was 122.5 and 11.3s with high 1.5x sixties. In my defense i dont power shift ever, just quick clean speed shifts. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread