What's with everyone wanting to buy a car through PayPal?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
So I put my car up for sale and everyone is texting they want to buy through PayPal because their out of state? Is this some sort of scam? Am I just old school to cut the deal in person or what the hell is going on?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So I put my car up for sale and everyone is texting they want to buy through PayPal because their out of state? Is this some sort of scam? Am I just old school to cut the deal in person or what the hell is going on?

what kind of car and how much? They probably want to use their credit card. I wouldn't do it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I can see where you're coming from.

But I thought paypal was supposed to be a very reliable way besides cash to purchase stuff. Anyone can stop a check before it clears their bank. I'm pretty sure its the most significant way to get issues resolved with a purchase.

Ebay uses paypal as their top choice in payments, so it can't be that bad.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I'd never do it, especially with all the stories where paypal sides with the buyer every time and pulls money back. The only time I sold a car that had to be shipped we used an escrow account. Very easy transaction, he got the car and funds were dropped into my account.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Ebay uses paypal as their top choice in payments, so it can't be that bad.

Ebay owns Paypal. Both routinely steal sellers merchandise via fraudulent buyer SNAD claims all day long. Their BBB pages are littered with thousands of ripped off customers (mainly sellers) via mandatory Paypal. Plenty on SVTP have had their merchandise stolen and their funds seized with zero recourse because it is acceptable in the TOS for both companies. I learned the hard way.

All it takes for your merchandise to be stolen on Ebay is the buyer completing a fraudulent SNAD claim, they will refund them automatically before your merchandise is even returned. Often the seller keeps the refund and the merchandise, that's what they did with me. $350 worth of merchandise gone and $350 from my account gone.

01Jes

Established Member
Kinda what I figured fellas. It's like these guys sniff that shit out and are very persistent.

jbs$

Established Member
Remember, the car is your asset, it is your right to set the conditions of payment. Nothing beats wired funds to your account and exchanging documents and keys in the Bank's lobby.

RJ13GT

Established Member
I would take nothing less than cash in hand. Or go to the bank together and transfer the money. Screw paypal. Or any other bs. If they want the car they need to show me the money. I don't want a promise.

10splaya22

Established Member
I have sold an 03 Cobra I had on ebay and took paypal as a payment. I split the fees ($~600) with the buyer. Got the car sold but would definitely prefer cash in hand.

scott_0

Established Member
when I was trying to sell my car, I made the mistake of putting it on Craigslist, asking $24k, some dude emailed me saying he wanted to paypal me the $24k but he wouldn't be able to come and inspect the car properly before his transport company picked it up, because he worked on an oil rig and works often, and the email seemed as if it was sent by a foreigner, but his email name was a first and last name that sounded 100% American, needless to say, I politely told him I'd rather have a face to face sale with a certified check, he kept persisting, I replied "sorry, I'm not interested in selling the car in this manner, thanks for your time" well he kept insisting, my final reply was "sorry if this comes across as rude, but there are simply too many red flags with this, you want to pay my full asking price for the car, sight unseen, you're email is coming across in terrible broken english, I'm a police officer, so I pick up these things, sorry if I'm wrong, but no thanks" never heard another word from him lol

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Go ahead and sell it with Paypal.

With this condition.

The car can not be picked up until all the time required has passed to allow you to withdraw all the funds to be able to convert them to cash.

Tough shit if Paypal wants you to wait six months. No cash, no car.

nxhappy

Established Member
scam scam scam ! people will text you with loads of BS....I'm in the military or I will pay to have it shipped etc.

The ONLY thing you should do is a deposit. You can take 500 or 1000 dollars until the buyer shows up in person. then they can pay you the rest in cash. Or you can take a small wire transfer for deposit. ALWAYS talk to them in person. Feel them out, usually you can tell if they are legit. If they want to paypal you 20k directly.....HUGE red flag.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a $3,000 Jetta with PayPal a couple years ago because I met the guy on a Saturday and banks had already closed. He was cool with it, I did it on my phone while he watched so he knew it was legitimate. I would probably pass if someone offered the same to me, though.

01Jes

Established Member
scam scam scam ! people will text you with loads of BS....I'm in the military or I will pay to have it shipped etc.

The ONLY thing you should do is a deposit. You can take 500 or 1000 dollars until the buyer shows up in person. then they can pay you the rest in cash. Or you can take a small wire transfer for deposit. ALWAYS talk to them in person. Feel them out, usually you can tell if they are legit. If they want to paypal you 20k directly.....HUGE red flag.

Lol! I received a few today one was in the Marines and the other was "on assignment." I politely told them to come in person and I would give them a better deal. They were persistent but I told them sorry no go for PayPal. I'm old school man, deals are cut in person for me.

Kevins89notch

Established Member

WHAT THE ****!!! Really man? Come on! This just screams SCAM louder than ever. Tell them bank wire or certified check only.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Put the terms right in your ad:

No Paypal, no checks, no trades, no payment plans, cash or bank transfer Only, transaction will occur at sellers bank during regular business hours, etc.

The scammers should recognize you know what you are doing and will probably leave you alone.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ This! Put your terms in the ad so that would-be buyers know the conditions up front. Make it firm. That will eliminate the bulk of the scammers and save you a lot of time responding to scam offers and give you more peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread