Whats Wrong?

99NCLightning

Established Member
Ok my car is stalling when i press the clutch in coming up to a stop sometimes. The damn thing is idling funny sometimes it goes up and down. Starting to get aggrevated with it. Anyone have a idea what it is? Thanks

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Dreaded stall issue, real common.
Copied from CobraBob`s site.
17-54-2 DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel". SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Yup its normal, they sent out a TSB for it it was something in the tune. Most tuners can get rid of it though!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Could be a number of things....

Start by cleaning your MAF sensor

If it has a custom tune, odds are that the 'stall fix' is already in place.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Oiled filter, like a K&N?
If so, you may have contaminated the MAF wire...

You also need to inspect the intake tract because you might have a leak at one of the connections, crack in the accordion, etc.

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
^+1, theres a good chance oil go on the MAF, I would start there. Then check for vaccum leaks when you reinstalled the intake.

99NCLightning

Established Member

You also need to inspect the intake tract because you might have a leak at one of the connections, crack in the accordion, etc.

yeah it is an oiled one, and what is the accordion

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Agree on cleaning the maf after re-oiling the filter, and...
accordion.
intake.png

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I had the same prob.,. I put on a twin screw and never looked back :thumbsup:

lol just kiddin :-D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ok my car is stalling when i press the clutch in coming up to a stop sometimes. The damn thing is idling funny sometimes it goes up and down. Starting to get aggrevated with it. Anyone have a idea what it is? Thanks

And i forgot to add just cleaned the air filter monday so it just started happening

Classic scenario for this symptom!

Folks please take note when JB takes the time to answer a post!
In my memory this guy has never posted anything that has been wrong!:rockon:
He seems to never miss.:rockon::beer:
Thanks JB!!
yeah it is an oiled one, and what is the accordion

This seals the deal, now there is no question that you have gotten oil on the MAF wire, clean it off with brake clean and reassemble making sure all connections are tight.
This is very common and comes from, possible over oiling, not letting it dry long enough or both.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Yes, clean the maf wire carefully. I think brake cleaner, carb cleaner, rubbing alcohol all works so whatever you have handy that will evaporate and leave no residue. My preference is rubbing alcohol because of it's purity. It's what we used in electrical engineering to clean all the electronics, circuit boards, electrodes, ect.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yes, clean the maf wire carefully. I think brake cleaner, carb cleaner, rubbing alcohol all works so whatever you have handy that will evaporate and leave no residue. My preference is rubbing alcohol because of it's purity. It's what we used in electrical engineering to clean all the electronics, circuit boards, electrodes, ect.

Great point :rockon: ..except I like sprays.

I use CRC electronic contact cleaner when I do my own, but since brake clean is so cheap and easy to find I usually suggest that just to make it easier.

Users who are viewing this thread