Whats Your Story???

stangaholic280

Established Member
Neither of my parents were into cars in the least...but as fate would have it, I always loved them, especially Mustangs. For my 18th birthday my mom bought me a 2000 V6 and I drove it like it was the fastest car on the earth.

One day I came up on a 2003 Cobra on the interstate and I challenged him just for fun. The guy knew he'd kill me but he kindly obliged. After hearing/seeing that car take off, I was in love and knew I would have one.

6 years later my wife (who loves cars also) were financially sound enough to buy one and so we did. I loved it alot and built it to 750 HP. Unfortunately it was a vert, which was a mistake on my part in the first place. So we sold it and tried a Z06. Although it was an amazing car, it left a void in both of our hearts. So we sold it too. Soon we will be going back to a Mustang, probably a Fox, and eventually a Cobra again.

The End. :)

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
My dad told me he knew someone with a car he could get me. Turns out it was a 4.6l nonpi mustang gt vert.
I knew nothing about cars and didn't care what car i had. I just wanted 4 wheels and a steering wheel. Car lasted me 5.5 years as a DD through snow and hot chicago weather.

Fast forward to last year around this time. The car caught on fire and all my 1st mustang memories went up in flames right infront of my eyes. Terrible feeling as you know you cant do shit to stop it. Then you have the fire fighters get there and spray your car down.. busting windows so they dont blow out. Then you have the tow truck guy scooping up the remains and broken glass and throw it right into the backseat of your loved mustang vert after the fire was put out. Truly that hurted. I could tell she was hurt bad.. all her fluids leaked out from the engine. The vert top was gone... the hood burned and curled up like a dogs tail.

FIRES SUCK :nonono:

Thought i'll never get another mustang after that. The car actually burned down a couple feet from my Black gt shown in my sig. Sucks to drive down the street everyday you lost your 1st mustang on .

Months later my dad knew a guy that knew a guy that had a 95 mustang. Brought the mustang from that guy. Turns out the previous owner is a Cobra owner on this site.

So now my mustang life continues with a older 5.0 that looks better than my 97 Vert.

I took a couple things from my burned GT and swapped it onto the new GT so the legend lives on.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Nice thread. :beer:

My story started back when I was in high school. My first car was a 96 Bonneville, (which of course I thought was fast). :-D

Naturally I got beat all the time, mostly by DSMs. I went as far as adding nitrous and bolt-ons to my Bonneville, but, yeah, it was still slow.

After I graduated high school I decided I wanted a turbo import. A lot of the guys I knew had modded DSMs, but I never really liked the size and sound of them so I opted for something a little different.

I bought my first VR4, (a 95) when I was 19. I did the usual bolt-ons and it was fairly quick to me back then. However, being as LS1s were becoming cheaper and more affordable I found myself getting beat by two buddies of mine that had a WS6 and Z28 with bolt-ons. :fm:

I had a huge car payment so my budget to modify that VR4 was non-existent.

Enter the money pit era of my life. :nonono: I bought a 91 VR4. Did the works, forged internals, bigger turbos, fuel, clutch, etc. It ran great, (when it ran :lol1:). My buddies by then had both put had put a cam in their fbodies, but it wasn't enough. :rockon:

Of course, like me that pushed them to make their cars faster and they added nitrous. :bored: Naturally they were once again kicking my ass. :cuss:

I decided to dump the VR4 for a WS6. :lol1: (Best decision I made BTW). My WS6 was cheap to mod, fast and dead nuts reliable, (minus breaking 10 bolts which I was picking up for a couple hundred bucks back then).

My WS6 had a nitrous cam, bolt-ons, nitrous and a gear. It was plenty fast, (faster than my Cobra is now on the spray). Then the 03-04 Cobras came out.

I always liked Mustangs, but never got one because they were slow, (sorry Mustang faithful :lol1:). The LS1 fbodys were and probably are still the ultimate performance value IMO.

Nevertheless, I sold my WS6 for a sonic blue 03 back in 05. That's where I am now. I'd like to sell my Cobra and move on. Having a fast street car doesn't appeal to me much anymore. I just want something that's quick enough but fun and comfortable to drive.

In the near future I'd like to own a 2011 GT and keep it mostly stock and build a drag car, either a fox body or another fbody. :rockon:

Mustanger

Established Member
My very first new car just happened to be a 64.5 Mustang Convertible! I was all set to buy a 64 Pontiac Tempest with the 326 v8 & 4 spd. stick shift, had the deposit down & everything...the dealer sold it to someone else & really pissed me off so I went across the street & put my name on the list for a Mustang Vert! I had seen the prototype pic in a Popular Mechanics mag & fell in love!

Waited a long time but finally got a dark metallic Blue Vert (almost True Blue in color) with white top & white interior. A 260 V8 & ALL synchro 3spd manual tranny. (First year for the synchronized first gear. All of 164 HP!!! Man I loved that car! Been sold on Mustangs ever since...Traded it for same color 66 coupe with white & turquoise Pony Interior with 6 cyl. & auto....for my wife to have when I got drafted. Hated that gutless wonder!

Later when I got the chance I bought a new Red 69 Mach 1...351 Windsor once again an auto but it was nice...My favorite Mustang of all, that was really considered almost an exotic car back then!! Turned a lot of heads & beat a lot of chevies! Even raced a CHP Dodge Cruiser one night & pulled him to 115+ LOL, good memories.

Then family cars for many years until my son got a new 04 Mach 1 & let his old 94GT basically just sit...he owed me some money so we canceled the debt & I got a bone stock 134,000 mile white 94 GT for little money.

Just the opposite of what I wanted at the time...I had my heart set on a red New Edge Vert! But after I started modding the white beast it started
growing on me & now with the mods I have done I am really loving this car! Modding is addicting but very satisfying & I have been picking up a few awards at some car shows (chuckle...small ones) & get tons of compliments.

It definitely is not fast yet, I am shooting for a fun weekend type driver in the low 13's to high 12's someday, but I keep it spotless & well detailed & have discovered the joys of a clean fun to drive car that most everybody seems to like. It sounds great with the Magnapacks, handles good, & gives me good feelings everytime. I know it is the worst model to tune or hop up, etc. & there will always be someone faster but I am ok with that...just want to have a lot of fun with it & not be breaking the bank all the time. Mustangs are the easiest car to fit this category ever I think & I guess they fill some quirk in my personality...I could never be happy in a camaro or other GM now.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I was always a GM guy. I had a couple imports (350z,wrx,240). I was looking at a Lotus Elise and had a deposit on one. After waiting 4 months longer than I was told, with multiple price increases I bailed on it and bought a nicer DD (2005 H2). Two months in I was dying for a car to play with. My brother showed me the snake bite 2 vid and it was all over. I started the search that week and got a ride in a Comp O one I went to see. That deal fell through but I found a 10th aniv. silver one on here with less than 4k mile in GA. I drove down with my brothers and brought it back a week later. About two years later I sold it to buy a turbo 03. Don't own either still but I'm about to buy my 7th Ford vehicle since that first 03.

Last edited:

wudy

Established Member
My Cobra story goes like this.

I was at my local speed shop getting something done to my mint low k 89 rag, when a guy with a Mystic 04 Cobra pulled in complaining about a small hesatation in the upper rpms.

The mechanic does his thing and asks the owner to go with him. He declines, so I ask can I take your place. Sure no prob he says.

Never been close to one nevermind been in one. So I jump in excited to see what all the fuss was about.

So he pulls out on the street and just gives her, !st gear tire spin, 2nd gear the blower screamin up to 6500, 3rd gear still pullin like a freight train, then I realize I didnt put my seat belt on so Im tryin, 4th gear now im scared and he is still on it hard. Finally he lets off. Thank God. He asks me if I felt the hesitation. I said buddy I can only feel my heart poundin thru my chest.

When we get back to the shop, I ask the owner more about his Cobra. I find out its has a wipple on it and a few other supporting mods. How did you like it he asks. I said Ive never been as scared as that in anybodys car. I have to get me one of these.

The next day,my mint 89 was up for sale. I found a guy on the local mustang club lookin to trade his original owner, low ks, 04 cobra vert for a foxbody plus cash.

The following week it was sitting in my garage. That was 3 years ago and I still cant get enough of my Cobra. Love it!!!

Last edited:

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I always loved the 93-95 Lightnings and one of my classmates had one just to add to the fire. I thought 03 was to be the last year for the 2nd gen Lightnings and really wanted one. I looked at the payments, kept an eye on the local 3-5 dealers inventory and finally went to look at a DSG one, not my 1st choice since I wanted sonic blue. Those were all gone and this one was one of 2 left in the area and the only one with the bedcover. I didn't figure the salesman could meet me on trade or price but it came within $10 so it was done. I was ready for paperwork and had never driven one, nor a v8 mustang. I just wanted a hotrod truck , mainly a Lightning. I finally asked for a test drive, and they reluctantly pulled it out of the showroom and we went for short spin and signed the papers. I had no intentions of mods or changes. This place made me a lie. The only bad results were my wife hated it because of the lack of discussions over it, they made payment, that was enough for me. She however changed her tune with one trip to the ER and has liked it ever since. Amazing how someone's view changes when the truck can outrun an ambulance by 50 mph. I have pretty much modded every vehicle I've owned and this has became another. The only remotely safe car in the fleet is her 07 gt, because it's hers.

Last edited:

va boy

Established Member
Have liked cars for as long as I can remember having memories.
As for the Cobra, I remember back in 03 I spotted my first Sonic Blue Terminator. I knew that one day I had to have one, but at the time I had a small child, and a new house payment. Fast foward to October 2010. Found an 03 SB with low miles/one owner and never modded. So..........that's how mine came about. I was able to hold out for a whole 2 months before mods (seen in signature). Been REALLY hard staying out of the boost, but I am getting dynotuned this Friday.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I grew up around cars. My dad built a 67 vette with a 427bbc when I was a kid and ever since I've loved cars. Someone who lived down the street had a 69 Z28 with a supercharged 427 that used to go down my street during the summer. I loved everything about the thing. It was black, tubbed, and loud. A prostreet.

That's what got me liking fbodies. My first car was a 95 camaro convertible that my parents bought me when I was 15. Had 150k miles on it... Didn't run too good, but it was clean as hell!

Sold that when I was 16 because it had a lot of problems and bought a 94 camaro (what my username was based off of) with a 3.4l v6 and a 5 speed. Was another money pit. over time I put a new transmission, new rear, rebuilt the engine, new paint, and that was only the beginning.

Sold that for my 94 formula when I was 17... Sold that for an 05 trailblazer when I was 18 cuz I thought it would be cool to have a newer vehicle with 4wd... Got bored of that fast and then financed my SS when I was 19.... Bought a jeep wrangler to DD and that's gonna be gone soon too... And niw I'm looking at buying a C5 or 03/04 cobra to replace my SS. That was the only vehicle I didnt want to sell but someone offered me a high price for it and I couldn't say no.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
None of my family was really ever big into cars. One of my friends got me interested in highschool. I was a good kid growing up so my dad said that if I got a job and paid for my own insurance he would buy me a car. I had my eye on a 66 mustang but knew it was out of my dads price range. On my 17 birthday my parents pulled up thru the drivethru at my work (dry cleaners) with the mustang and gave it to me as a suprise. I drove that for a while then bought myself a 94 5.0 and now I have an 05 GTO.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
None of my family was really ever big into cars. One of my friends got me interested in highschool. I was a good kid growing up so my dad said that if I got a job and paid for my own insurance he would buy me a car. I had my eye on a 66 mustang but knew it was out of my dads price range. On my 17 birthday my parents pulled up thru the drivethru at my work (dry cleaners) with the mustang and gave it to me as a suprise. I drove that for a while then bought myself a 94 5.0 and now I have an 05 GTO.

You have a gto? Lol! Didnt even know that!

GoatSlayer

Banned
I started with a V6 and i thought i was the baddest mother****er on the road. I got raped by an sti and decided i needed a V8. I started looking for a Gt, but a cobra found me. Since then, we have been soulmates!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Drove a '92 Honda Civic through HS and part of college. Modded it up all ricerish, then tried to de-rice it, but it grew old. My parents promised my sister and I they'd help pay for a car when we got to our Junior year in college, plus I had gotten a few scholarships, so they added on a bit more to my total. I had about $18k to spend on a car. Since my civic was anemic, I wanted something with a V8 and then randomly decided I wanted a convertible (this decision motivated by my gf at the time). So pretty much my only options were Mustang or Camaro. Since the Camaro vert is a boat and ugly as hell, I was on the lookout for mustangs.

Couldn't afford an '03 Cobra back in '05, so I settled for an awesome stock '03 GT vert with only 13k miles on it. So fresh. Started buying mods for the thing before I even picked it up from the seller. Modded the crap out of it for the next 3 years. Joined up with MACA even though I didn't have a Cobra, and they turned out to be the greatest group of car guys I've ever met. Stupidly sold the car when I moved out of my parents house because I thought a modded Jeep would be a good DD for a 30 mile commute...

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
high school sweet heart and ex gf who is now my wife (hope it makes sense) loved a red 97 Cobra that worked by her local Home depot. she would always talk about it etc....i had an Acura Integra GSR so i knew nothing about stangs. well she left me in boot camp, i did 3 years overseas in Japan plotting my revenge on her. I got home and bought a 97 Cobra, threw on an exhaust etc......winded up showing up to her house years later for a date (again).....look on her face was worth every penny i paid for it.....she goes out of her way to tell the story whenever anyone asks about my car lmfao FLAWLESS VICTORY.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
high school sweet heart and ex gf who is now my wife (hope it makes sense) loved a red 97 Cobra that worked by her local Home depot. she would always talk about it etc....i had an Acura Integra GSR so i knew nothing about stangs. well she left me in boot camp, i did 3 years overseas in Japan plotting my revenge on her. I got home and bought a 97 Cobra, threw on an exhaust etc......winded up showing up to her house years later for a date (again).....look on her face was worth every penny i paid for it.....she goes out of her way to tell the story whenever anyone asks about my car lmfao FLAWLESS VICTORY.

So if I got this right you married a chick that liked you for your car?

That is FTL right there.... :nonono:

SICKNASTY

Established Member
This might get little long (BTW im Currently 20 yrs old):
I was basically born into cars, my father use to take me to his shop when I was a baby and use to lay me down on carpet while he restored his 1968 GTO Vert. On my first birthday my dad gave me the 1936 quarter midget he restored that has been in or family since 1940. He had me on a go cart at three and a half years old, so he had a drive to drive the car around a track to get our AACA certification. At around 6-7 I started racing quarter midgets until I was around 11 ( I got to big i.e. heavy and started playing football). Around 12-13 we started looking for my first car, my dad use to drag race mopars and he was selling some of his old stuff so we ended up trading an auto for a 4 speed. That’s where my first car began, we searched and found and bought a 1969 Dodge Dart auto I6, (still 13). The winter after buying the car we tore it apart and redid everything put in a 340 V8 which I built myself, and a 4 speed, paint, Etc. Over the years. I’ve won a lot of trophies with the car including a celeb pick from the Carlisle Chrysler Nats. The car was just for car shows and some drag racing. My DD is a 1996 Explorer 5.0 AWD, lowered with New Edge wheels and CAI. I recently bought a 1991 Hatch Fox I4 auto for a future project and gas mileage now. My hope is to buy a new cobra in 2014/2015 around my graduation of Drexel University. My only regret or wish would have been to have a fast D.D because for what I have into my Mopar I could have bought a nice 03/04 cobra. I always hate driving around knowing my Dart is in the garage and not being behind the wheel of a fast car all the time, that’s why its so hard now since I have some $ not to buy a terminator or fast DD.

i Left a lot of detail out but you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread