Whats Your Story???

cobrasvtcrazy

New Cobra Maniac
Established Member
I was very curious on how you as cobra, mustang, focus, lighting, or any other car owner decided to get the car you have. And whats the story behind you getting your car?

Ill start off. When i was very young my parents told me if i never missed a day of school that they would buy me a car when i graduated high school. So through elementary and jr. high i didn't miss a day. In high school i seen a kid at my school with a bad ass stang and since then i decided on the cobra. I ended up finishing school with perfect attendance and my parents purchased my stang.

I thought i had a little story so there would definitely be many other interesting stories. So let me hear your guys' story. (No flaming please, just interested in other stories)
:beer:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Dad has always been a strong Chevy guy with the occasional Ford influence.. he has had TONS of muscle cars...everything from a 1971 GTO to a 1971 Buick GSX Stage 1 car to a 1959 Caddy (with abuot 20 other cars mixed in) Heck my mom DD the 71 GTO for like 6 years up unitl 2003...thus my involvement...im 26 and have had 7 Camaro/Firebirds

1992 Z28 L98
1994 Firehawk
1994 Z28
1994 Z28
2002 Z28
1999 V6
1994 z28 1LE

and it only continues...however im not sure im like the newer Camaros and i truely hold no allegiance lol

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
saw my first 2003 cobra at the drags right before I deployed and decided I wanted one. 4 Months later I had on sitting at home while I was in Iraq...and my pockets have had a hole in them every since!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Started off when I was 14 my parents were going to give me their 89 Dodge Spirit as my first car. Wanting something "cooler" I found a 1974 MustangII 2.3L I4 A3 in the newspaper that matched my cousins 74 II (though he had the 2.8L v6) in Harvest Gold (which was really faded schoolbus yellow). Pimped that through my first year driving in HS and everyone thought it was a V8 and nobody wanted to run.

I got a job that required a bit of freeway driving so that car was not up to the task, plus I wanted modern muscle since my buddy had a 89 5.0 and it was the fastest car at school (had GT40 heads and some other goodies) at that time. Parents wouldnt buy me a 94-95 Mustang GT 5.0 but agreed on a 94 Thunderbird LX with the 4.6L which at the time I thought would have equal aftermarket support to the Mustangs 4.6L. Nope. But I kept that car well through the end of HS stomping many a ricer and other muscle cars at my school with my landbarge. Even got me 3 days of in-school suspension after a hefty burnout/donut session in the schools parking lot. After 3 transmission rebuilds, 3 full AC systems worth of parts repairs, I got sick of having no $$$ to mod it since it always went to repairs.

Gave it to my sister, and picked up my 1997 Eclipse GST Spyder. Left that stock for a while till I met a fellow dsm'er one day with a bigger turbo and support, and changed my life forever. Started learning the ropes and really learning cars, slapped a evo16g with full fuel support, dsmlink for tuning, etc. Had alot of fun, car was still greatly reliable (save for reman alts that it pooped about once a month) and quick as hell, however after all the locals we grouped up and had modded cars seemed like they were "moving on" and getting out of the game, I did the same.

Sold the GST and picked up a 2002 GT Black on Black. Loved that combo of black exterior and black interior. Did some boltons, tuned it with a diablow handheld. Got bored. Did some extensive exterior work, Roush S3 kit, Saleen spoiler, CL2 c-pillar scoops, painted it Pepper Grey metallic with black stripes (IE Eleanor clone). Had it for a few years.

Got bored with the GT and decided I wanted bewst again. This led me to my first term of ownership with my 03 Cobra. Purchased in stock form from a guy in Santa Cruz for $22k, which in 2007 was unheard of. Had it for about 4mo but could not get the GT sold out from under me to save my life. Put the Cobra on here for sale and it was sold in 15min.

At this point due to performance boredom with just the GT I also purchased a 1991 Eclipse GSX with skipped timing to play with. Replaced the head, redid the timing and the damn thing ran like a top!

It was also this time my current employer hired some drafter guy from Hawaii who was starting over in life. He used to have a modded DSM and wanted one and also wanted a nice DD at the time. Both my GT and GSX fit his bill perfectly, he bought both for $12k and that same day the current owner that i sold the Cobra to called me and said he was looking into getting a GTO and I had first dibs. Was meant to be this go around!

Owned the 03 for my second term for a good year and a half. However, due to shitty economy and my annoyance for a $500 car payment and $250 insurance cost, I decided that if things went the way they were looking at my job then, the Cobra would be a huge burden with its payments. I sold it for my payoff at that time and picked up my current 1998 GST Spyder. Oh I also had a 1990 GSX i bought from a buddy with a siezed motor that was gonna go to the junkyard, so i saved it, rebuilt the motor, had it as a garage ornament (always had little issues) and sold off.

So yeah, right now, just daily driving the DSM. 90mi daily, which apparently is quite unheard of in the DSM world where everyone complains about unreliability. Its pretty much stock but then again, I dont build hackjobs, so im 100% certain if i was to slap on a big turbo+fuel+support tomorrow it wouldnt change the reliability one bit. Sure, breaking parts due to exceeding their design limits is one thing, but i believe reliability itself is 100% owner related. 14b turbo (stock turbo on a 1g DSM) swap to get rid of the anemic t25 and give me a bit of a better powerband for FWD (it spools slower but has more breath up top) but stock boost, 3" ebay catback, $5 Evo8 Plastic bov (can hold 20psi but looks stock and is quiet unless popping off 20psi), hard IC piping and K&N intake. Its peppy, not fast, but its no slouch. It gets paid off with taxes come jan/feb. Thinking on getting a 99-04 GT for another DD and sideline the GST. I still really want to do the AWD swap, so keeping miles off it as much as possible would help, since right now I have absolutely nowhere to do the swap and no awd donor car yet.

Recap:
1974 Mustang II
1994 Thunderbird LX
1997 Eclipse GST Spyder
2002 Mustang GT
1991 Eclipse GSX
2003 Mustang Cobra
1990 Eclipse GSX
1998 Eclipse GST Spyder

Last edited:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I've wanted a Mustang ever since I can remember. My dad is a Ford guy so it's just how I was brought up, I suppose. I looked for a 94-95 for almost a year because I wanted an sn95 and I don't particularly like the 4.6 L engine.

wjk

Established Member
When I was young I loved muscle cars (60s-71 or so). Fastback mustangs were always my favorite and still are. Wouldn't take any other Muscle car over a Boss 429, yes even a Hemi ______ (fill it in with whatever).

Since then I've owned:
-89' GT Vert
-90 GT Hatch
-05 GT Coupe
-04 Cobra Coupe

I'm sure the collection will go on... But right now I'm only 23.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Started out for me when I was in third grade and got a remote control car. Associated RC-10. Then I visited my Aunt and Uncle when I was in 7th grade and saw the 1929 Ford Roadster that my Uncle and Dad built from the ground up themselves. Then when I was 16 I got my first car which was a Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I looked around, sold that car and bought my first mustang, an 83 gt and it was a piece. Learned alot from it and that's all she wrote...have had my fair share as you can see.

M3xpress

Established Member
Most of the people in my family are into cars, I grew up loving cars. My Dad has always been a big influence on me when it comes to cars, he was into muscle when he was young, but as he got older he got into European cars (Austin Healeys, Porsche, MG, BMW, etc).

My username was actually an old screen name my Dad stopped using when I was young, I was into those cars, I liked the name so I kept it.

Though I'm still into the European stuff, I got into more domestic/muscle stuff as I got older. Other than the the 1 month stint of wanting a high horsepower Supra at 15 after the Fast and the Furious came out, I wanted an older E36 M3 or a V8 Mustang.

When I was 15 and got closer to turning 16 I was leaning towards a Mustang, but I had singled out a clean Fox coupe in town, an LS1 SS, and two new edge Mustangs at the dealer.

The Fox was clean, had some nice stuff done to it, but it was banana yellow and felt real loose on the road. The SS was nice, black, but at the time I didn't know much about LS1s, never really had the chance to put my foot in it, it sounded like crap and I thought it looked weird with one exhaust pipe in the back.

It came down to a black GT and a red convertible '01 Cobra at the dealer. It was a nasty wet day, the dealer we were talking to was cool and was going to let me drive something, and though I wanted a black coupe and not a red vert, since I was given the opportunity, of course I wanted to drive the '01 Cobra. Everything was going good till on the way back to the lot the dealer decided to take the TC off and give the Cobra hell in the rain. The Cobra felt strong as he got on it and we went all over the road getting on the interstate ramp. At that point my Dad was not going to put a new driver in a Cobra.

Though it was not a Cobra, the GT was clean, a 5 speed, stock, and black with the dark interior. I thought it would be a cool car to modify and grow up in. A month or so later when I least expected it, I was walking out of a restaurant and the car was sitting by itself in the parking lot with a bow on it.

I joined this board years ago for The Market section thinking of selling my first car and getting a Terminator. I decided I'd rather keep the car as a constant project and make it what I want since it was my first car.

I've been messing with little projects and whoring it up on here ever since. :-D

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
The red L in "Fast and Furious" movie when I saw it in the theaters. I almost got a black '99 in '06 but it was too much for me at the time. I got this one in Aug '07. It's my DD and only vehicle and love every minute of it.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Bought my 1986 5.0 LX coupe from my brother in 1989, I was still in high school. I've owned mustangs on and off since then...about 10 total...coupes, GT's, convertible's hatchbacks, and a couple sn95's. I love'm and will have another coupe soon.

FastNick01

Established Member
It all started out with my dad, he had 70's caddies, grand prix's, buicks, then when 1977 came around and he bought a black and gold Trans Am identical to the one in the movie Smokey and the Bandit. My uncle bought one in 1078 but in gold. We would go to car shows throughout my whole childhood, my brother 31, me 22, back in the 90's he had a couple of fast cars as well, Had a black notch 91, 92? Unsure of the mods, at the time I was more into bikes than cars, but it was quick along with a 88 Monte Carlo SS with a 350 and some other stuff done.
When I turned 16 I purchased a 1973 Trans Am with the help of my parents for 5k from my uncle that had the car rotting away in his garage under a hundred boxes, car was a heap, and hadn't ran for a couple years, for the next 3 years I restored the car, 455, turbo 400 trans, Ac, Atrack, power windows car. It was buccaneer red -75 with custom white vinyl bucket seats. I litterally changed everything but the original drive train. Thank god it was an original motor, trans, rear, that were virtually problem free except for minor things. Sold that car when the market was hot and got a hefty amount of money to buy several other cars. I was into F-bodies first but new I ultimately wanted an 03/04 cobra.

Ive had two trucks both being rangers
1997 Ranger base model 189k miles of trouble free service
2003 Ranger FX4 Level II 122k miles and running strong
Cars Ive had
1973 Trans Am Red
1986 Trans Am Maroon
1995 Firehawk Formula #521 Black
1997 Camaro Z28 Anniversary Edition white/orange
2001 Camaro SS Convertible Black
CURRENT
2001 SOM ws6 Trans Am
2003 MG Cobra

Last edited:

Kellys03Gt

Established Member
Let's seee here, it started off when my brother got a 2001 gt and I rode in it alot, I really didn't know much about mustangs until he started teaching me things as he built it up, then a few years later he got a 2003 cobra and I rode home in it the first day he got it, that's when I knew a wanted one, then it comes around to be my 16th birthday and my parents were like nope you can't have a v8 soo a few months went by and everyday I pretty much begged and promised I would behave and be good in a gt, then out of no where my dad said ok go find one, soo that's when I found my 2003 gt. Both of my brothers were pissed cause they weren't allowed to have a v8 for their first car lol

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
I grew up around cool toys, cars/boats ect. but I started when i was 16. got my 87 Forumla 305TPI!!! FTL. it was dirt slow. but hey, it was wheels and a v8. totalled that car like most of the kids with a V8.... got my uncles 1974 BMW 2002i for free.. that last 4-5 months. then my grandmoms 1984 K-car..literally it lasted 3 hours it blew up from her never changing the oil. then my first mustang.. 1996 GT 5 speed with 24K miles on her. bought it off the orig owner and that poor car got abused, beated, 2 engines, 1 trans, 1 rear and its stil in the garage (just started doing a rebuild.. see my other post about it) then I was 18 and I started my flipping cars. started off with $500 hondas over and over and over again. then I started going after cool cars... had 2 SHO 5 speed 1991 Taurus's, 80something celica Gt stick, more early 90s civics, late 90s accords, I can not remember all the damn cars... then I started going for mustangs as I was in tech school and then going to ford training then I went after cobras/Gts ect. and now I am where I am today.

just some past cars
1998 cobra Screaming yellow built motor. cams
1998 cobra black stock
1996 cobra white stockish
1996 cobra green stockish
1997 GT Blue built motor ect
2003 cobra SB built motor, whipple ect
2003 SB ghost flamed cobra modded
2001 viper RT-10 stock
2001 C5Z06- bottle modded
2004 SRT-4 white stockish
2003 SRT-4 modded then gave to my brother for xmas present 2 years ago
2003 Evo
2005 WRX stock
2003 wrx
2001 cobra black modded
2006-trex

the list goes on and on....

currently the cars I own are in my sig. I love doing what I do on the side for fun. It makes me very happy when I buy something someone blew upand can't fix and I put some blood and sweat and knowedge into it and she fires up and runs like a champ.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
One of my buddies had a 1999 GT with all the bolt ons, 01 cobra front bumper, steeda interior dress up stuff and more. I got to drive it home from TN to GA after we went and picked up his 04 comp orange cobra. That 4-5 hour drive made me want a mustang so bad. My parents then bought me an 04GT which i loved then i sold it to get a truck. I realized i missed my stang so i sold the truck and purchased my 01 Cobra and i couldnt be happier.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
The story on the Cobra goes like this. I was browsing thru Ebay looking for Mustang stuff for my 1990 GT. I came across this really good looking new Mustang. I did not even realize at first it was a Cobra. Then I noticed the paint was different. It was like a 21 day auction so I started watching it. My wife, daughter and I went out of town to a dinner my company was having the night it went off auction. Since they did not have free internet I used the business office in the hotel to check what was going on. Cobra did not sell at $30,500.00. So I went up to the room and told my wife and she said call or email the dealership when we get home tomorrow and see what the lowest dollar they will take for it. So Sunday night when we get home I email the dealership. The guy responds back the next evening with the price. So from that point until Wednesday night when I bit the bullet and purchased it, I ran around trying to get everything figured out about buying it. I called him Wednesday evening and he said another guy from about an hour and a half away from me told him he would buy the car the next morning but would not put a deposit on it. So I made a couple of calls and then called him back. He was eating at went straight to the dealership and called me back and took my credit card # for the deposit. Needless to say the rest is history. It took 30 days from the time I wired my money to them and signed the paper and the delivery company picked up the car until it got to its new home. The delivery guy called me on his way to the house and told me to meet him there. So off I went. I was sitting in our driveway right off the interstate when he came down the road with it on the back of a roll back. It had started to rain and was almost dusk. I saw the car and freaked out because I did not see a multi-colored car I saw a dark grey to black car. Only when he pulled into the turn lane and started up the drive did I start seeing the changing colors. Needless to say it was love at first sight. The driver let me wash it and check it out before I signed off on it and he left. It will 6 years since this happened on January 18th but it only seems like yesterday. WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!

Now the 1990 GT is a whole different story. Darn Ford Fun Weekend. HA HA.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I was never into cars really, I used to ride a CBR 954RR everywhere I went and only used the car for bad weather. At the time I had a 00 gt, it wasnt until later on that I had and accident on the bike and it was totalled that I was forced to actually drive the car.

I started getting into cars and realized how much fun I could have with the stang.... I spent thousands of dollars trying to make that thing fast and learning at the same time. I was supposed to upgrade to a 03/04 cobra but when I came across my current ride (c5z) I just had to have it instead. :thumbsup:

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
was in right place at right time with funds and bought 03 cobra when they first came out. my first and last mustang and hope to always have it and I love it

Users who are viewing this thread