What's your worst lightning experience?

gr850

Established Member

1. 1st owner split stock motor nearly in half. 4998 miles. Cab off. Bought and installed new JLP short block.

2. Melting #8 Manley piston 425 miles from home.

3. Result of #2. Buying, building, installing a new block without realizing new NVH block came without oil galley plugs. Dayum, you've no idea what I went thru figuring that out.

4. Result of #3. Lift cab. Pulling motor again and installing galley plugs

5. Data logging f'd up tune from unnamed L tuner from MD and blew head gaskets and ruined stage II heads. Cab lifted AGAIN. Funds dictated stock 8 thread heads going back on.

AND I only have 12K miles on this 2002.

Black04Lightning

I ATE YOUR HEMI FOR LUNCH
Established Member
East Bay Area - Pleasant Hill - California

Same thing that happened to Lightning Larry ,

This happened to me on the date of 1-10 - 2013

I Blew out the third plug back on the passenger side
getting up on the freeway in 2nd gear with 14 pounds of boost
with the throttle wide open at 80 mph

I Like Big Boom , but this just torqued me off , and at only 36,989 miles

what fun . . and a tow truck ride . . . :bash:

The truck was back on the road in a couple days
One new coil pack and 8 new Autolite Iridium plugs later

found out there is a factory miss calculation on the plugs being torqued properly on my truck a 2004
and 6 out of 8 plugs were loose and one plug fell out breaking the one coil on plug assembly

I was lucky the threads were still all there

I just cleaned the threads with a thread chaser and put anti sleaze on the new plugs
and installed the new plugs and 1 coil pack
Guess I was lucky the plug threads in the head were still useable . :beer:

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
my worst experience... going built. It's been nothing but a headache and heartache so far.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Used to be when the tranny went out of my Silver truck about three months after I bought it but the picture below replaced that.
314784_10150909472156524_171727849_n.jpg

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
2.3 and 2.6 kenne bells.

2.3 was used, and leaked. W/e, risk you take.

2.6 leaked from day 1. Brand new.

At the point where I want to return it to stock and possibly sell it.

#2. Destroying my stock block. Going built added some headaches.

gpro71bird

Need for Speed
Established Member
Having the opportunity to drive my truck at Laguna Seca Raceway but upon arrival I popped a plug in the parking lot and never got the chance.

JV_92_03_10

Established Member
Damn, I feel lucky. I was complaining about ball joints and rear diff leaking. Not any more.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Used to be when the tranny went out of my Silver truck about three months after I bought it but the picture below replaced that.
314784_10150909472156524_171727849_n.jpg

Any story accompanied said picture?

Btw, why does everyone say going built causes headaches? I would think a built block would add peace of mind and reliability.

kahukub

Established Member

Btw, why does everyone say going built causes headaches? I would think a built block would add peace of mind and reliability.

It's more of a groaning pain in your heart rather then a head ache. As most car enthusiast or as we are, truck enthusiast. we absolutely LOVE our trucks. Sometimes not having things go your way like you imagined can just suck your energy dry and then you become demotivated. Going built is everyone's dream, sometimes though it can be hard, wether its financially, time, or even life changes that may occur. I know for me personally I was able to spend about a couple hundred a month on my truck. Now I'm married, kids , house, so it's slowed down over time. It's just like anything else in life the more you put in to something the more it cost to fix and maintain. If you can do it go for it, if you can't then have a plan to get you there one day. Just remember the bigger you go the more it gets stressful.

Last edited:

f150freak

Professional Lackey
Established Member
The worst experience i've had with my Lightning.

Been working the night shift for about 12.25 years now. Back in 2005 I was driving home from work, it was about 12:30-1am. Just cruising along minding my own business when a dark red RX8 comes up beside me and starts taunting me to race. I don't even think twice before I kill the OD and go WOT with me in the left lane and him in the right. We're heading south on the freeway and from where we took off from the freeway ended and turned into a highway in just a mile or so. Here we are heading to the first traffic light after the Hwy starts and we're both neck and neck at about 110 or so and still accelerating. As we approach the light I start to get this vision in my mind of the light turning red and a car pulling through the intersection in front of us so I let off the gas and start to back off. Luckily the light never changed and no other vehicles were around, but I did pull a bone head move. On the south side of the intersection is a no light U turn and there's a curb that divided the U turn lane from the Hwy before traffic merged. I misjudged how far to the left I was and both my left wheels hit dead on the curb going about 85-90 MPH.

Once I hit the curb everything slowed down in my mind, I can still see it all in slo-mo. Immediately after hitting the curb I let off the gas and let the truck run out it's momentum. First, the ass of my truck skidded out to the right almost totally sideways, I turn the wheel to correct for the skid and I severely over correct and the truck skids back to the left. Again I turn the wheel the other direction as quickly as I can and I was able to get it to swing back just barley over correcting to the right. By whatever miracle I was able to straighten the truck and get it onto a side street from the Hwy.

After I got the truck pulled off the Hwy I shut it down and get out to inspect the damage. I totally annihilated both of the 2 left wheels and tires, 2 huge pieces of trash were now bolted to my truck. Luckily I had an emergency spare at home alone with the spare I kept in my bed so I called my brother to bring the spare and my jack(since the bottle jack was too tall). I went over and over my truck with a fine tooth comb but the only damage I could find were the wheels, and the bump stop on the front left. Two new wheels & tires and a new bump stop later and my truck was back on the road and I learned a valuable lesson about not street racing.

Last edited:

WoodsyNH

Established Member

1. 1st owner split stock motor nearly in half. 4998 miles. Cab off. Bought and installed new JLP short block.

2. Melting #8 Manley piston 425 miles from home.

3. Result of #2. Buying, building, installing a new block without realizing new NVH block came without oil galley plugs. Dayum, you've no idea what I went thru figuring that out.

4. Result of #3. Lift cab. Pulling motor again and installing galley plugs

5. Data logging f'd up tune from unnamed L tuner from MD and blew head gaskets and ruined stage II heads. Cab lifted AGAIN. Funds dictated stock 8 thread heads going back on.

AND I only have 12K miles on this 2002.

Do you mind saying who your tuner in MD was? I'm saving to have a bunch of work done by a company in MD, just want to see if it's the same guy. you can PM me if you prefer.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member

That was leaving the motel parking lot at Myrtle Beach at Mustang Week last year, first day of the week to. She ran a stop sign and plowed into me about 35 mph. What a way to start your vacation right? Worse part was I had my foxbody and trailer down there too. Fun, fun.

Black04Lightning

Established Member
When I had my 01 I was entering the freeway and stood on it.
She took off and was running strong when I heard a huge bang.
I thought I blew it up. :nonono:

I shut it off and pulled to the side of the freeway. Popped the hood and started looking for a problem. Everything looked fine.

I got back in and fired it up. Same loud noise. Looked under the hood and there was a coil pac and skark plug bouncing around.

Was fixed under warranty and back on the road in 1 week.

Was this "BIG RED" ???

how did you get a 600 HP Ford Lightning fixed under warranty :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Black04Lightning

Established Member
600HP??????????????? Hahahaha

Yes it was big red. My 2001. I got a "little" help at a dealership.;-)

What is a LightEning???????:p

A little help !!! what did they do put a ford focus in the truck bed to slow it down just a little bit ??? :lol::lol::lol:

LightEning = refers to A Higher Voltage "BIG RED" sucking a 2003 AZURE BLUE Mach 1 Mustang up the cold air intake AIR CLEANER as she went by at 80 mph
under SERIOUS WICKED BOOST .. :beer::beer::beer:

Of course all passing under boost was not filmed and this occurred in Mexico....

Users who are viewing this thread