wheel hop

sonicowboy

He>I
Established Member
...just wondering if anyone has had past problems with wheel hop and eliminated it by changing the factory goodyears with a softer tire? I know there are some folks out there that have not experienced wheel hop on the Terminator but they are not using the stock tires. I am considering Nitto NT05's just for the rear for now. I have about 8,000 on the ticker & still have the factory goodyears all around. Thanks!:shrug:

greengt88

Established Member
i just went from a sumitomo to a nitto 555r on the back and i still wheel hop like crazy, best thing to do is get the full tilt boogie irs bushing kit, billetflow subframe braces and a girdle. lots of money and even more to install but it supposedly is like a god send. i'm undecided on this or a solid axle swap.

sonicowboy

He>I
Established Member
Thanks for replying so quickly! When you aquired the car, did it have the factory tires? I know 2 people that have not upgraded any bushings, etc. and have no wheel hop...it's hard to believe that even with the Nitto 555r's you still have it that bad. It's very frustrating to pull up next to the competition and have to hold back until I get it into 3rd so I don't get extreme wheel hop. I guess there's no way around doing all the upgrades possible to avoid this.

sonicowboy

He>I
Established Member
For now, I'm gonna try Nitto NT05's, Steeda Diff Cover Brace & diff bushings...I will post improvement or disapointment.:shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
For now, I'm gonna try Nitto NT05's, Steeda Diff Cover Brace & diff bushings...I will post improvement or disapointment.:shrug:

Please don't put poly diff bushings in an IRS car. :(

Also please don't think your IRS will be safe with OEM bushings or after market poly because you don't have wheel hop. :idea:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member

Save yourself the "disappointment" by installing Bruce's IRS bushing kit and a Billetglow IRS brace or Fore differential cover.

Do it once and do it right the first time... :beer:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Drag radials solve the wheel hop issue for most vehicles. Subframe connectors and replacing the IRS bolts with the correct size also help. The more expensive but sure fire route is to replace the bushings with Bruce's kit.

Jefe

Established Member
I had stock rear tires(2nd set) that were somewhat bald and the hop was bad! NT05's fixed my hop for over 5k miles. Now that the tread is lower, I occasionally get some hop in 1st but thats it. Its usually just because of a bump in the road though

sonicowboy

He>I
Established Member
Wow! All of this is great info...I understand why these forums are so valuable. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. The NT05's (all around) go on this weekend...

SlowSVT

Established Member
Please don't get the false sense of security that you have protected your IRS from potential damage because you have eliminated 90% of your wheel hop! :read::idea:

How about eliminating 100% of the wheel hop? Does that count? After 16,000 miles mine never hopped nor have I broken my IRS :banana:

Then again the car was bone stock at the time so I guess I haven't "eliminated' anything :nonono: That which is not there will never be.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
How about eliminating 100% of the wheel hop? Does that count? After 16,000 miles mine never hopped nor have I broken my IRS :banana:

Then again the car was bone stock at the time so I guess I haven't "eliminated' anything :nonono: That which is not there will never be.

Russ:

What I meant by that is even without wheel hop, you still have differential wind-up with OEM rubber or aftermarket poly mounting bushings which can and will break halfshafts.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Russ:

What I meant by that is even without wheel hop, you still have differential wind-up with OEM rubber or aftermarket poly mounting bushings which can and will break halfshafts.

Bruce

As far as I'm concerned there is not a person on this site who knows more about chassis dynamics then you but that doesn't mean I won't take a swipe at you on those rare occasions where I can :nonono:

The fact you have two of the slickest cars that I want in the worst way and am green with envy has nothing to do with it :cuss:

Russ

:beer:

Jefe

Established Member
Wow! All of this is great info...I understand why these forums are so valuable. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. The NT05's (all around) go on this weekend...

I wouldn't put them on all 4 corners unless its an autocross car. Youll want something with longer tread life up front. Just replaced my NT05's after 7500 miles but because of nails. Maybe could of gotten 10k on the rear set. I have regular 555s up front

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
...just wondering if anyone has had past problems with wheel hop and eliminated it by changing the factory goodyears with a softer tire? I know there are some folks out there that have not experienced wheel hop on the Terminator but they are not using the stock tires. I am considering Nitto NT05's just for the rear for now. I have about 8,000 on the ticker & still have the factory goodyears all around. Thanks!:shrug:

i had the stock tires with 15k miles... it hopd like a mofo in 1st & 2nd :burn:
then i put nitto 315 drags on the stock wheels, now i have zero wheel hop in 1st and 2nd. all it does is just go....:rolling:

sonicowboy

He>I
Established Member
Well, I installed the NTO5's all the way around. (I only put about 1,500 miles a year on my sonic). I am extremely satisfied with this set-up. The tires are only a little softer that a stock tire compound. The wheel hop was not eliminated (I wasn't expecting much just from the tire swap) but it takes longer for the tire to start hopping. Once the tires get warm, they just grab. This car literally just hooks in the turns. You can dive into a curve with confidence. Anyways, the Steeda Diff. Cover Brace and IRS bushings are next. (I KNOW AC427COBRA, "Please don't put poly diff bushings in an IRS car." BUT YOU DON'T EXPLAIN WHY OR GIVE US ANY DETAILS.) Maybe for a drag car, but I just need a fun street car. If they don't work, I'll try something else. I will post improvement or disapointment. Thanks to all for taking the time to share experiences!!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
(I KNOW AC427COBRA, "Please don't put poly diff bushings in an IRS car." BUT YOU DON'T EXPLAIN WHY OR GIVE US ANY DETAILS.) Maybe for a drag car, but I just need a fun street car.

Factory rubber bushings OR aftermarket poly are the Achilles' heel of ANY Cobra IRS regardless of year or HP levels.

These bushings are completely and totally incapable of stabilizing a differential housing. Besides, taking a poly bushed IRS to a road course event will MELT the front poly diff mount bushings. It aint pretty and you don't want to experience it.

All of this information is in the link in my sig and on our web site. I've been harping on this crap till I'm blue in the face! :(

Users who are viewing this thread