Wheels spinning too much in 1st while WOT

demas

Established Member
Hi guys
I have VMP stage 2 for my Auto transmission and recently I did some 0-60 tests.
When I stomped the gas pedal the wheels were spinning too much in 1st gear before the car started to move.
It feels like there is not enough grip.

My rears are MPSS 255/35/20 - I can't go wider unfortunately but it might be related to something else rather than tires.
I have got BMR LCA and UCA w/mount
And soon BMR Adjustable Panhard bar.
My car is also lowered only by Eibach pro kit springs.

So, I was wondering how can I improve it?
Is it tires matter? Or suspension?

Thank you!!

helloWorld

Established Member
In my opinion, 255 wide summer street tires are not sufficient for ~ 600 rwhp.

I guess I should add, I have 255 wide top rated all-season Michelins and my car is absolutely useless in first gear at less than 400 rwhp. I mean, the back end is so much out of control that I have to let out before first gear is through.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
dude, most of the time you are NOT going to plant that kinda torque if you put it to the floor, you're gonna have to learn to control your right foot. Im not saying a tire wont help a ton but still

evil281

Established Member
I run a 305/35/20 nt555r drag radial and still spin on the street in second gear even with all my Bmr suspension and Viking shocks set up.

James Calhoun

Established Member
325/40/18 M&H radial with bmr upper,lower,relocates,strange struts,strange shocks,3.15 gear,auto,13' cj springs. Dead hook in first on the street if it is above 70* anything lower say 50* i will spin about 3 ft and hook running 24# in the tires. But my car will only cut high 1.6's 60ft on the track. Front full loose and rear are set at 3 stiff. Now if i put my nitto 275-555r's on,it is spin city with same suspension set up. Get some suspension and a good tire and play with it and you will be good to go.

liter of cola

Established Member
if your not gonna go wider than you need a drag slick. why in gods name wouldn't you wanna go up to at least a 305? why the heck would you wanna run 255's with that much power??? is this a troll post or what? and your on 20's lol. dude. switch to a 18" setup with at least 305 out back and you will see a huge improvement. or at least 19's. if you have to run 20's put a 28" tall tire and go for at least 315 wide. even then you wont grip good enough to be happy.

Last edited:

jbou91

Established Member
What everyone else said and being 40* outside isn't helping either. Get yourself some wider/stickier tires

demas

Established Member
Thanks guys.
No this is not a troll thread, this is real question thank you.
I am outside US and changing tires size without the MOD approval can make me loose my license. In addition, my wheels are 9" wide so the widest I can go is 275.
I just wanted to make sure it's a matter of tires or it's something else I can improve.

liter of cola

Established Member
u got a supercharger so why cant you get the MOD approval for wider rims and tires? its worth the investment. a bmr lca relocation bracket will help since your lowered, but not by a lot. the only way to get the power to the ground is fatter stickier tires. since your lowered 1.5" in the rear with the pro kit springs it may be possible that your rear end is off center, the adjustable panhard bar will fix this but im not sure if that would affect acceleration grip.

I also see you havnt upgraded your shocks and struts... once again im not sure how upgraded rear shocks could affect launch grip but maybe someone with drag racing experience can chime in on that.

Last edited:

nate714

Established Member
get sticky tires with a bigger contact patch, and make sure rear suspension is set up right. LCA relo bracket, adjustable panhard bar minimum. A stock A6 spins through 1st gear on 235 tires, 255 is barely an improvement over stock

liter of cola

Established Member
I have 100% stock powertrain with the stock brembo track pack wheels and summer Pirelli 255/40/19 all around. I recently installed frpp adjustable shock/struts, k springs, bmr uca, lca, relocation bracket, and panhard bar. I still spin at the top of 1st and beginning of 2nd when I go ham (manual trans)... its hugely improved over stock but if im spinning shifting to 2nd with stock power and upgraded suspension there's no way you can get the grip you with a supercharger w/o fatter stickier tires.

also I have 3:73's

Last edited:

Healthforhazard

Established Member
325/40/18 M&H radial with bmr upper,lower,relocates,strange struts,strange shocks,3.15 gear,auto,13' cj springs. Dead hook in first on the street if it is above 70* anything lower say 50* i will spin about 3 ft and hook running 24# in the tires. But my car will only cut high 1.6's 60ft on the track. Front full loose and rear are set at 3 stiff. Now if i put my nitto 275-555r's on,it is spin city with same suspension set up. Get some suspension and a good tire and play with it and you will be good to go.

How wide of a rim were you using with the 325 MH?

James Calhoun

Established Member
10" American Muscle gt500 copys and they have no bulge. Do have a buddy running them on a 9" wheel and they have a slight bulge but still put down almost the same foot print on the track within a 1/4".

O.P. if you have to stick with a 20" wheel i would run the Mickey Thompson 3401 275/35/20 ss radial. They are a drag radial with decent groves incase you get out in the rain.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
WTF is MOD and why would they care about drag radials but not say anything about a power adder?

demas

Established Member
Lol guys,
MOD should be MOT(ministry of transportation) I have a typo.
I can't change tires size other than in my vehicle license which now mention that I have 255/35/20.
If I do that my car won't get yearly test approval.

About the rims, I like mine so much that I would want to replace.
You gotta understand, I am from outside US so everything is different

Users who are viewing this thread