When to change fluids?

03SvtSonicCobra

I got the Sonic Blues.
Established Member
I was wondering how you low mileage guys maintain your cars? What intervals (sp) do you go by to change your anti freeze, blower oil, trans fluid, and rear end fluid. Sorry for sounding like such a noob, but my 03 Cobra does alot more sitting than driving. I only have 15,800 miles and that's alot compared to others on here. If this matters I am only running CAI and catback. Rest is all stock.

Last edited:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Not sure what most are doing or have done , but at just over 10k miles here. I've changed all fluids and oils over the last year. With the low mileage cars it's not so much miles but time , mine just turned 6 last month

Juruense

Banned
I was wondering how you low mileage guys maintain your cars? What intervals (sp) do you go by to change your anti freeze, blower oil, trans fluid, and rear end fluid. Sorry for sounding like such a noob, but my 03 Cobra does alot more sitting than driving. I only have 15,800 miles and that's alot compared to others on here. If this matters I am only running CAI and catback. Rest is all stock.
blower oil was changed to Mobil1 10W-30 at 30k
afraid to mess with the coolant :(
trans fluid was changed to Mobil1 synthetic ATF at 30k
have not dropped the IRS yet but when I do gear oil, brace, urethane bushings, etc wil be going in probably around when I hit 50k in the future
do not forget the brake fluid change it every year

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have the factory coolant from Ford (original after 30K) it is the Gold series, supposedly lasts up to 100K?

03SvtSonicCobra

I got the Sonic Blues.
Established Member
I have the factory coolant from Ford (original after 30K) it is the Gold series, supposedly lasts up to 100K?

I heard that the long life coolant turns acidic with time and eats away at your gaskets.Don't know if its true or not. Because I got the gold coolant in my Cobra. Also Kilgore i never heard of changing the brake fluid every year. Is that really necessary?

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
Necessary? I have no idea but it always looks like cola when it comes out and it goes in crystal clear.

tc3nitall4

SVT Attitude
Established Member
i dont know about when your car is sitting but according to the maintenance guide in my parts dept. it says:
EVERY 3K:
oil change, top off all fluids
EVERY 15K:
oil change, fuel and air filter change
EVERY 30K:
oil change, fuel and air filter change, injector flush, coolant flush, tranny flush
now on rear diff. fluid they say it last for 100K, but i would change it atleast 50K

Users who are viewing this thread